Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Jan 16, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #121 of 401
I also want to say, this headphone has surprisingly simillar measured value with philips Fidelio X2.(even similar 10k peak or some boost in base and treble part)I heard Gibson innovations(that already possessed philips fidelio) took over Onkyo in 2012, and 2 years ago, they started the cooperation for new headphone and speaker. So they could have some simillar character in my guess.

So Comparing with Fidelio X2,it's gonna be great interests.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #122 of 401
I also want to say, this headphone has surprisingly simillar measured value with philips Fidelio X2.(even similar 10k peak or some boost in base and treble part)I heard Gibson innovations(that already possessed philips fidelio) took over Onkyo in 2012, and 2 years ago, they started the cooperation for new headphone and speaker. So they could have some simillar character in my guess.

Yes it is my understanding that the company that made the Fidelio drivers also made the drivers for the new line. Regardless of driver, enclosure design also has an impact on the signature so there were new tuning opportunities I'm sure for ONKYO. I only once had a chance to hear the X2, but it was brief and so long ago now that I can't remember anything other than liking what I heard. So you ordered the A800? Great! I think it is an excellent headphone and I would love to see what others feel. For sure like any headphone it won't be for everybody, but I think it is quite technically competent and well voiced. Love the design as well.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #123 of 401

Yeah it's WOOX innovations owned by Gibson that engineers the Philips and Onkyo audiophile headphones, the Onkyo A800 has a completely different driver to X2 though, the A800 driver is more advanced, multi-layer with a stiff dome inset diaphragm.

The Fidelio range where designed to be on the "fun" side, the A800 is going for neutral, you can expect less bass with the A800 than the X2 and more treble detail.

While the H900M is more on the fun side as it's driver is more similar to the X2 (but closed back), does not have the multi-layer dome inset diaphragm like A800.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #124 of 401

Yeah it's WOOX innovations owned by Gibson that engineers the Philips and Onkyo audiophile headphones, the Onkyo A800 has a completely different driver to X2 though, the A800 driver is more advanced, multi-layer with a stiff dome inset diaphragm.

The Fidelio range where designed to be on the "fun" side, the A800 is going for neutral, you can expect less bass with the A800 than the X2 and more treble detail.

While the H900M is more on the fun side as it's driver is more similar to the X2 (but closed back), does not have the multi-layer dome inset diaphragm like A800.

Yes, I can't imagine the drivers would be the same as the Fidelio line, but I have no knowledge of the Philips gear so I defer to your knowledge there. I will contact my source at Gibson about the H900M driver. It isn't that I doubt you at all, I know you wouldn't post something that you didn't read about, I just want to see if he will send me the full specifications and HAT graph as he did for the A800. Where did you read about the headphones having different drivers? I must admit, to this point I assumed they would be the same as going to the expense of two designs for a same sized driver seems like something a company would avoid, but perhaps due to the enclosure effects of the H900M a different design was required? Thanks for the information.

edit: I also should look at the retail packaging I have on hand here as usually they show an exploded driver view or at least discuss the driver technology on the outer packaging so maybe worth a look.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #125 of 401
Used to own the X2 but it was too boomy and I wanted more neutral/clarity in the mids but I do miss the soundstage, so maybe the A800 will be better. There's also the new X2HR coming out soon that I also want to try out.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #126 of 401
  Yes, I can't imagine the drivers would be the same as the Fidelio line, but I have no knowledge of the Philips gear so I defer to your knowledge there. I will contact my source at Gibson about the H900M driver. It isn't that I doubt you at all, I know you wouldn't post something that you didn't read about, I just want to see if he will send me the full specifications and HAT graph as he did for the A800. Where did you read about the headphones having different drivers? I must admit, to this point I assumed they would be the same as going to the expense of two designs for a same sized driver seems like something a company would avoid, but perhaps due to the enclosure effects of the H900M a different design was required? Thanks for the information.

edit: I also should look at the retail packaging I have on hand here as usually they show an exploded driver view or at least discuss the driver technology on the outer packaging so maybe worth a look.

How would you compare the Z1R to A800/H900M? 

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #127 of 401

Neutral with a slightly tipped up bass? That sounds like my perfect sound signature, definitely going to pick these up soon.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #128 of 401
Well Onkyo was just added as an exhibitor at NYC Can Jam in early February! I wish the was a way we could get in contact with the representatives from Onkyo that are going to attend so we can request that they bring a pair of H900m and A800.

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #129 of 401
Well Onkyo was just added as an exhibitor at NYC Can Jam in early February! I wish the was a way we could get in contact with the representatives from Onkyo that are going to attend so we can request that they bring a pair of H900m and A800.

They will for sure. I will e-mail my contact at Gibson right now. Cheers.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #130 of 401

It's written on the product page and also shown in the exploded view, you can see the multi-layer dome inset driver for A800, while H900M has a regular single membrane PET driver, also the driver impedance's and sensitivities are different A800 is 32ohm, 100dB sensitivity while H900M is 16 ohm, 105dB sensitivity.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #131 of 401

It's written on the product page and also shown in the exploded view, you can see the multi-layer dome inset driver for A800, while H900M has a regular single membrane PET driver, also the driver impedance's and sensitivities are different A800 is 32ohm, 100dB sensitivity while H900M is 16 ohm, 105dB sensitivity.

Yes I did look yesterday and see that, previously I really hadn't looked very closely. Thanks mate. have you heard either of these yet? I believe you have, but I can't remember for certain.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #132 of 401

その音をあるがままに

This sentence means "the way it is the sound" by google translate. Maybe onkyo highlights their pure sound quality.

As soon as possible, I will post my review about this headphone.. and Now it is the time for listening carefully, deeply.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #133 of 401
その音をあるがままに

This sentence means "the way it is the sound" by google translate. Maybe onkyo highlights their pure sound quality.

As soon as possible, I will post my review about this headphone.. and Now it is the time for listening carefully, deeply.

Looking forward to your impressions. Where did you buy these from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back