Old Modi is pooping out, ideas to fix?
Jun 22, 2017 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
I've had a Modi (v1) for 3 1/2 years and it has a gotten a lot of use! Understandably it's not working great these days. My computer has had a lot of trouble recognizing it, started about 6 months ago and has gotten progressively worse where my computer has to be on for like an hour before it can recognize the modi (USB device not recognized over and over until it gets recognized eventually). Maybe it's beyond fixing, but do you have any ideas? Tried everything I can think of, including trying different USB ports and a different USB cable. I've had my Magni the same amount of time and the Magni has given me no issues yet. Might just be time to buy a Modi2.

My System:
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
MSI Z77A-G41 LGA Motherboard
EVGA GTX 980ti FTW
Kingston HyperX XMP 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
BFG Tech ES SERIES ES-800 800W Continuous Power Supply
Windows 7 x64

audio setup in signature

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 24
First off, it's not understandable that your Modi is failing. 3.5 years is not ok, the thing is just a PCB and Schiit should be able to make it last for decades if they aren't incompetent.

Next, make sure it's actually a problem with the Modi and not your PC. Hook it up to another computer and check if it recognizes it right away. That may be it, though you'll probably prefer if it's just your Modi.

Unfortunately, I think Schiit only has a 2 year warranty on the Modi. Don't know why they don't get more flack for not having a longer warranty on what should basically be an "unbreakable" device.

Edit: Also, your Modi breaks and you think it's time to just buy the next Schiit product? My man if it really is your Modi that has the issue, I would buy something else. A variation of the "Muse" DAC will cost you just $20 on Amazon. If you're someone who believes in DACs for whatever reason, then check out the JDS Labs OL DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 24
All good advice! Thank you. It's probably just a driver issue, but driver issues can be near impossible to fix. Certainly frustrating.

Now I'm starting to question the necessity of having a DAC at all. I always looked at DACs as a replacement for a Soundcard. My computer on it's own doesn't produce good audio, so I always just figured it goes through the DAC and magically the audio is high quality, which seems to be the case in my experience, but I have no idea about this stuff. Maybe the $20 muse dac would be just as good. I have an old Audigy 2 ZS soundcard buried in my closet somewhere, but I have no idea if it still works. Maybe not an apt replacement for a DAC anyways.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 24
You have tried a different cable ?

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 24
HAve you tried contacting schiit audio yet to ask for suggestions?

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 24
Do you plug/unplug the USB cable often?

Yeah, if I'm trying to get it detected. It will eventually be detected (after an hour or two), but it's taking longer and longer.

Schiit said it's most likely windows drivers being finicky, which I would agree with. Might have to do with Nvidia audio drivers conflicting, which are used for my TV's audio. TV is connected to my computer via HDMI. This reddit thread had similar issues https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/471jbd/how_i_fixed_my_schiit_modi_2_uber_problem_usb/

but I have been unable to find a solution thus far.

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 24
I did not, but a good thing to check!

Will the Muse Dac ($20-$30) really be a suitable replacement or is it possible I will notice some shortcomings?

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #15 of 24
bump

still driving me nuts (constant USB device not recognized), and I can't fix it no matter what I try. Anyone else had a similar issue?

For a while unplugging and and plugging it back in 100+ times would finally get it to work, and then I just would never shut down my computer if I could avoid it, to keep it working (because if I restart or shutdown it would immediately go back to "usb device not recognized"). Now it takes over 300 times of unplugging it/plugging it back in to get it working. Soon it will be 1000 times! Would just buy a new DAC if I had any coin :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back