Newbie here, help needed with chord mojo draining my dap battery
Jul 27, 2017 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stanl3h

New Head-Fier
Hi first can I just say you have a great forum here, sorry if this has already been asked I am still getting to grips with how to search for posts.

I have tried a chord mojo and a oppo ha2 se on both my samsung galaxy s8 plus and my AK70, no matter what I do when the DAC is connected via usb to my phone or my ak70 it seems to drain the battery at a huge rate. From what I can gather on my phone it is because the usb connection is trying to charge the dac via the phone.

Any way to disable this or any advice would be great ?

If not I will return my DACs and just use the inbuilt dac in the AK70, my headphones are sennheiser 650's, momentum 2.0 and Grado gs1000

Thank you for your time

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 9
Ok thanks for the quick reply, would it be worth me returning the ak70 and getting the 300 or khan and then use the coax or toslink connections? And would i notice any sound quality difference?

I frequently spend long periods in hospital so battery length is really important.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Ok thanks for the quick reply, would it be worth me returning the ak70 and getting the 300 or khan and then use the coax or toslink connections? And would i notice any sound quality difference?

I frequently spend long periods in hospital so battery length is really important.

I don't use DAPs, so I can't advise on them much. Personally, I rely on DAC/amps for sound quality and would just use the cheapest DAP that has the features I needed.

Some people hear an improvement by using optical instead of USB while others say they sound the same. I am in the process of comparing TOSLINK to USB with the Mojo.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Will it use less battery using toslink vs usb?

I forgot to ask: Are you using two USB cables to connect to both the charge and signal inputs on the Mojo? Because the Mojo only charges via the charge input. If you only connect to the signal USB input, it does not charge. And yes, if you are connecting via TOSLINK, the Mojo is not being charged unless you also have a micro USB cable connected to the charge input.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Oh no i am just using it to the signal input on the mojo.

The ak70 lost about 40% battery in a hour when connected to the mojo. I assumed it was charging it as on my s8 it always has the option when connected via usb to charge the device connected to it and doesn't seem to work with any other setting. This again massively drained the battery.

Maybe i am just being a idiot some how lol

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 9

The ak70 lost about 40% battery in a hour when connected to the mojo. I assumed it was charging it as on my s8 it always has the option when connected via usb to charge the device connected to it and doesn't seem to work with any other setting. This again massively drained the battery.

Hmm. I'd suggest mentioning this issue in the Mojo thread to see if other owners (or Chord themselves) have insights on the matter.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 9

Maybe i am just being a idiot some how lol
I found your thread looking for an answer for the same problem, i use the s8 with the mojo. I think its the otg adaptor youre using thats aiyomatically charging yhe phone, you should get a usb c otg cable for it to function properly without charging the mojo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back