New IEM recommendation <$150
Mar 28, 2017 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sponsor

100+ Head-Fier
My VSD5 have started cutting out on left ear after 2 years of use now. I am looking for a good replacement this time, with better build quality than Vsonic, in the budget around $100-$150 max.
Preferences are similar or better sound stage and separation, good isolation and fit, as i use them outdoors alot. I am not that sensitive to sparkling highs as VSD5 were, and like some thump in the lower end, though it should not overpower other frequencies.

The tracks i mostly hear to are classic rock n roll (led zeppelin, queen, pink floyd etc), though my playlist consists of almost every type of music, from soul, jazz, r&b to metal.
I had preferences for VSD5S, but Vsonic's build quality is really tricky, and the thread discusses about some new VSD5S's failing in a couple of weeks.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 12
If you want good isolation you have to consider balanced armature IEMs, these two fit your budget and are well regarded (I don't own them):

Fischer Audio SBA-03
Final Audio Heaven II

If the isolation requirement is secondary I would get the 1more Triple Driver, which I own but keep them at home because of the isolation (or lack of). The sound on these are extraordinary for the price.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 12
You might check out the 1More Triple Driver, it could work. So could the well-built RHA MA750 (3 yr warranty!). If you want to spend a bit less but still get quality, I would recommend the SoundMAGIC E10C or the Beyerdynamic Byron, both of which are terrific. Some thoughts.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 12
I can vouch for both the 1More triples and the RHA-MA750, the latter of which I currently use.  Would have stayed with the 1More because I really liked the sound, but they didn't isolate well enough for my needs.  I've also used/liked Hifiman RE-400 as a more neutral sounding IEM, but since you mentioned wanting better build quality, I would avoid them since they seem to be hit and miss on that point

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 12
  If you want good isolation you have to consider balanced armature IEMs, these two fit your budget and are well regarded (I don't own them):

Fischer Audio SBA-03
Final Audio Heaven II

If the isolation requirement is secondary I would get the 1more Triple Driver, which I own but keep them at home because of the isolation (or lack of). The sound on these are extraordinary for the price.

Thanks, will look into these two as well. :)

Quote:
  I can vouch for both the 1More triples and the RHA-MA750, the latter of which I currently use.  Would have stayed with the 1More because I really liked the sound, but they didn't isolate well enough for my needs.  I've also used/liked Hifiman RE-400 as a more neutral sounding IEM, but since you mentioned wanting better build quality, I would avoid them since they seem to be hit and miss on that point

You might check out the 1More Triple Driver, it could work. So could the well-built RHA MA750 (3 yr warranty!). If you want to spend a bit less but still get quality, I would recommend the SoundMAGIC E10C or the Beyerdynamic Byron, both of which are terrific. Some thoughts.

I had SM E10 before VSD5, and they are far behind in terms of sound quality as compared to VSD5, so i would consider E10C to be on the similar lines.
Had 1more's in my mind, but all of you have concerns about it's isolation. It's a priority for me, but if the sound improvement over VSD5 is enough to ditch the isolation aspect, then i could go for the 1more's. Anyone has hands-on comparison on these two? VSD5 and 1more?

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 12
ok, after researching a bit, now i am confused between rha ma750, 1more triple driver, and dunu titan1/fiio ex1.
My order of expectations is like:

sound stage/separation > build quality > accuracy > isolation > everything else.

These 4 things are top priority for me, which one should i pick to suit my needs?

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 12
if sound stage is your top priority that means

rha ma750 - no go - there is a couple reviews in here that point that their sound stage is not their stronger point
1more triple driver - yes, the mid and high drivers are balanced armature and the sound stage is quite good, while the bass feels natural with the dynamic driver.
fiio ex1 - reviews point out that the soundstage is very good, but the isolation is very poor.

from reading you, you could be a balanced armature fan (yes I am biased) so really consider the Final Audio Heaven II. From osterwart's review:

"Soundstage is wide, vocals are intimate and everything come in from around, very convincing stage and imaging. A strong point of the Heaven series.
Instrument separation is also very good, with quite an airy sound, everything is very well separated.
Imaging is very convincing and never sounds artificial."

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 12
  if sound stage is your top priority that means

rha ma750 - no go - there is a couple reviews in here that point that their sound stage is not their stronger point
1more triple driver - yes, the mid and high drivers are balanced armature and the sound stage is quite good, while the bass feels natural with the dynamic driver.
fiio ex1 - reviews point out that the soundstage is very good, but the isolation is very poor.

from reading you, you could be a balanced armature fan (yes I am biased) so really consider the Final Audio Heaven II. From osterwart's review:

"Soundstage is wide, vocals are intimate and everything come in from around, very convincing stage and imaging. A strong point of the Heaven series.
Instrument separation is also very good, with quite an airy sound, everything is very well separated.
Imaging is very convincing and never sounds artificial."

ok, will consider these as well.
but @ostewart have also reviewed MA750, and has put the comparison as:
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/691636/review-final-audio-design-heaven-ii#post_10018758

So there we have it, MA-750 warm/dark laid back with wide soundstage
Heaven II balanced with intimate mids but airy sound, good body and SQ with good amping is comparable to IEM's much more expensive.

so he has actually found MA750's soundstage to be wide as well.

May 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 12
Finally, got the RHA MA750 only, from official reseller, so 3 year warranty is there now. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Short comparison to previous VSD5: Better instrument separation and soundstage, better bass, better build, on par isolation with tape mod on VSD5, but the sparkle in the treble is missing in comparison to the Vsonics. Overall, happy with the purchase, full review would be coming after the burn in period.
Some images:
dQJdZPo.jpg

xKAbAI0.jpg

EwKHv0z.jpg

q4q669g.jpg

EooBBWI.jpg

BEyDZzc.jpg

vTzyPCN.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back