Need help finding an Open-Back Headphone
Jun 19, 2017 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zenrap518

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently been researching and looking at some Open Headphones to buy eventually, but few options that i have seen fit what i need. I'm looking for an Open Headphone with decent comfort and a Warmish, Smooth, yet still somewhat engaging sound signature with good bass, soundstage and imaging, and no added sibilance. I'm looking at the HiFiMan HE-400i/s, Monoprice Monolith M1060 (I might not mod these), Phillips Fidelio X2's and The Sennheiser HD6XX. To give you a better idea of my preffered sound signature, my favourite headphones in terms of sound are the NAD Viso HP50's that i used to have and my PSB M4U 1 for neutrality (but again, i haven't heard many Mid-Fi headphones). Thanks for the help in advance!

-Zen

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 14
How is the Sub-Bass? I've heard the HD6XX have great mids, but are lacking a bit on Sub-Bass. I'll mainly be listening to Pop and Electronic on the headphones, which is why i want a somewhat engaging sound, while still being smooth to prevent listening fatigue. Leaning towards the HE-400i/s and M1060, as they are planar and have flatter bass with less Sub-Bass rolloff

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 14
I'd say the M1060 might be what you're looking for. I own the X2, the M1060, and I've spent some time with some Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, and imo the M1060 has the best bass of the bunch, hands down. Very smooth and engaging, with a wide sound stage. The M1060's also come with some pretty fluffy stock pads and are quite comfortable to me. They are a bigger headphone, but you don't notice. I haven't been able to stop using them since I got my pair a couple of Fridays ago. They punch way outside their price point. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 14
How is the Sub-Bass? I've heard the HD6XX have great mids, but are lacking a bit on Sub-Bass. I'll mainly be listening to Pop and Electronic on the headphones, which is why i want a somewhat engaging sound, while still being smooth to prevent listening fatigue. Leaning towards the HE-400i/s and M1060, as they are planar and have flatter bass with less Sub-Bass rolloff

In terms of being objectively neutral the HD650 has a big plateau of bass but then rolls off below where 1000hz is at around 35hz. So basically the only bit of sub bass you won't get is 20hz to 35hz, where not a lot of it is in recorded music apart from classical, that is only confounded by auditory masking since 35hz to 125hz are a lot louder. In practice, the HD650 having a wide open cup would be a bigger problem for bass than that response curve, since any ambient noise gets in with barely any isolation. Having a fan or old/badly-maintained A/C unit in the room (or a house with an open window too close to the main roads and you listen on a week night) is a bigger problem than how it rolls off below 40hz.

I have the HD600, which rolls off at around 50hz, and while I use Neutron Music Player to bring 20hz to 45hz to the same level as 1000hz, I don't have any problems listening to pop music through Spotify (everything I have on local storage is metal) with just the EQ built into Android, and I use it more to trim its 3500hz peak than boost the bottom end. It's not going to make K-Pop sound like Crunk, or make Late Night Alumni pound out Skrillex-like bass drops, but the bass is there and it pounds as long as the recording has it pounding in the mix.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 14
I'd say the M1060 might be what you're looking for. I own the X2, the M1060, and I've spent some time with some Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, and imo the M1060 has the best bass of the bunch, hands down. Very smooth and engaging, with a wide sound stage. The M1060's also come with some pretty fluffy stock pads and are quite comfortable to me. They are a bigger headphone, but you don't notice. I haven't been able to stop using them since I got my pair a couple of Fridays ago. They punch way outside their price point. Good luck with whichever you choose.
Are you having the issue where the mids are a bit shouty and there is a bit of 5K ringing? Did you mod yours?

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 14
In terms of being objectively neutral the HD650 has a big plateau of bass but then rolls off below where 1000hz is at around 35hz. So basically the only bit of sub bass you won't get is 20hz to 35hz, where not a lot of it is in recorded music apart from classical, that is only confounded by auditory masking since 35hz to 125hz are a lot louder. In practice, the HD650 having a wide open cup would be a bigger problem for bass than that response curve, since any ambient noise gets in with barely any isolation. Having a fan or old/badly-maintained A/C unit in the room (or a house with an open window too close to the main roads and you listen on a week night) is a bigger problem than how it rolls off below 40hz.

I have the HD600, which rolls off at around 50hz, and while I use Neutron Music Player to bring 20hz to 45hz to the same level as 1000hz, I don't have any problems listening to pop music through Spotify (everything I have on local storage is metal) with just the EQ built into Android, and I use it more to trim its 3500hz peak than boost the bottom end. It's not going to make K-Pop sound like Crunk, or make Late Night Alumni pound out Skrillex-like bass drops, but the bass is there and it pounds as long as the recording has it pounding in the mix.
Thanks for the help! I'll consider getting the HD650/6XX

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 14
Are you having the issue where the mids are a bit shouty and there is a bit of 5K ringing? Did you mod yours?

I had read up on the M1060 a good bit before I ordered and was fully prepared to mod them. I was gonna do the paper towel mod and then most likely order up some Audeze pads. But then I listened to them and was blown away, I feel no need to mod them at all at this point. As for the 5k ringing and shouty mids, I have none of that. I don't know if I lucked out or not, or if version 2 has just worked out the issues. Either way, I'm a happy camper.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 14
I had read up on the M1060 a good bit before I ordered and was fully prepared to mod them. I was gonna do the paper towel mod and then most likely order up some Audeze pads. But then I listened to them and was blown away, I feel no need to mod them at all at this point. As for the 5k ringing and shouty mids, I have none of that. I don't know if I lucked out or not, or if version 2 has just worked out the issues. Either way, I'm a happy camper.
Ok, thanks. How is the treble? I like a smoother treble, as i am a bit sensitive.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 14
Ok, thanks. How is the treble? I like a smoother treble, as i am a bit sensitive.

While slightly bright in the treble on some songs, I don't find them to be sibilant.

EDIT: They are very receptive to EQ, so you can tune them to your liking.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 14
While slightly bright in the treble on some songs, I don't find them to be sibilant.

EDIT: They are very receptive to EQ, so you can tune them to your liking.
Ok, Thanks. I think i'll get them. What amp do you reccomend? Im looking at the Schiit Stack 2 and have considered the Audio-GD NFB-11.28, but i live in canada and the Audio-GD is $125 CAD more expensive. My budget is $300 CAD (Pretty much the price of the Schiit Stack 2, with tax and exchange rate

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 14
The NAD HP50 were my favorite closed back cans, followed by PSB M4U 1, when it comes to sound preference. My vote goes to HD 598, which some say is not engaging enough (I disagree), followed by HD 650. The HD 650 will require some matching with the right amp to sound its best. The 598 sounds great with just about anything.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 14
Ok, Thanks. I think i'll get them. What amp do you reccomend? Im looking at the Schiit Stack 2 and have considered the Audio-GD NFB-11.28, but i live in canada and the Audio-GD is $125 CAD more expensive. My budget is $300 CAD (Pretty much the price of the Schiit Stack 2, with tax and exchange rate

I've only listened to them through my iFi Micro iDSD so far. I'll try and remember to bring home my Schiit stack from work tomorrow and give them a listen (I can't do open back headphones at work), and I'll see what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back