Need advice on Headphone setup for gaming/movies
Jun 14, 2017 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Asim Yusaf

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I am looking into getting a headphone and USB soundcard / Amplifier set for my laptop (primarily for gaming and movies with some music).

I am deciding between: Sennheiser Game one, Sennheiser game zero and Fidelio x2. Which would would be best for casual competitive fps and rpg/mmo immersion? i don't want the cans to be too bass light. I'm also tempted to pick up a Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200 as an amp.

Any suggestions?

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 6
If you don't like bass light headphones, the X2 is a very good option. It has a very large stage for gaming and also sounds good for music. If you go with the X2, an amp won't be required, as they are fairly easy to drive. You can always get one, but it won't be required for the X2 to sound terrific.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi guys
I am looking into getting a headphone and USB soundcard / Amplifier set for my laptop (primarily for gaming and movies with some music).
I am deciding between: Sennheiser Game one, Sennheiser game zero and Fidelio x2. Which would would be best for casual competitive fps and rpg/mmo immersion? i don't want the cans to be too bass light. I'm also tempted to pick up a Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200 as an amp.
Any suggestions?
It would be helpful you you listed a budget.
Recommended to spend more of your budget for headphones, then the DAC/amp.
Any idea on what on-board audio the laptop has?
(like a Realtek ALC???)

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 6
My vote is the X2, I've heard it is very immersive and has good soundstage. You'll need a modmic also if you don't already have a communication device. As for amp, the X2 won't need one but down the road it'll be a worthy upgrade to pick up a Magni 2 perhaps, eBay should have some good used ones

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for your informative replies so far guys. The soundchip on the laptop is a Realtek ALC 255, 3.5mm Headphone/Mic, i have previously tried an AKG 702 on this and it didn't sound right (like it was been underpowered).

I have a maximum budget of £400.

So far from my own research and your comments i am geared towards getting a Fidelio X2, but the Sennheiser game zero does look appealing due to it having a built in mic and i get 20% discount with them

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 6
I went ahead and got a Philips fidelio x2 which is really comfortable and sounds great. I am using it with a GSX 1000 which does provide a huge improvement over my laptop audio for both stereo and virtual surround sound. Would my money have been better spent getting something like the schiit magni 2 instead of the gsx 1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back