Most comfortable budget over-ear cans
Jun 16, 2017 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

imusorka

New Head-Fier
What are the best full size headphones (closed or open back) under $100 that don't require a dedicated amp or DAC? Listening material is very diverse so closer to neutral is probably better. Must be very comfortable (pads, clamping force etc) for long listening sessions so that ears don't hurt or sweat. Sony MDR7506 tops my shortlist so far.

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 10
What are the best full size headphones (closed or open back) under $100 that don't require a dedicated amp or DAC? Listening material is very diverse so closer to neutral is probably better. Must be very comfortable (pads, clamping force etc) for long listening sessions so that ears don't hurt or sweat. Sony MDR7506 tops my shortlist so far.
You should check out the Senn HD558. It sounds terrific and is extremely, insanely comfortable. It is an open headphone. No amp required. Maybe read about it and see what you think.

Jun 17, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 10
Based on your suggestion, I'm now considering getting the HD598 Cs as they're closed-back (and I thought of using them on the go as well). Is this a good idea? Some reviewers are highlighting an issue with instrument separation.

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Based on your suggestion, I'm now considering getting the HD598 Cs as they're closed-back (and I thought of using them on the go as well). Is this a good idea? Some reviewers are highlighting an issue with instrument separation.
Look, the HD598CS is a very solid closed headphone in its price range. Are there things to quibble with? Of course. There always are at the $130 price point. But overall, the 598CS is a pretty good headphone. One thing to keep in mind, though, is the fact that the 598CS does not resemble the HD598 or 599 really at all. They probably should not have named the 598CS as they did, it is so different from the original 598. Just so you know.
If you are looking at closed in this price range I would highly recommend that you consider the SoundMAGIC HP151. It is superior sound quality-wise to the 598CS, by a good bit, IMO A very substantially good headphone that outperforms its price point. You should check it out.

Jun 17, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 10
if you are leaning more towards a closed portable headphone I would highly recommend the NVX XPT100 or the Audio-Technica ATH M40x. Personally these are my 2 favorite headphones for under 100 usd and I usually recommend them as entry pair of HiFi audio headphones.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 10
If comfort is a priority for you (you mentioned sweaty ears), then an open back headphone should keep your ears cooler than a closed back can. Someone here mentioned that the 598 Cs is neutral. I had it. It is not neutral. It is mids-focused with a recessed treble. It's not a bad headphone, but also not as great as some say they are. I would check out the SoundMagic that Serman005 suggested as well as Philips SHP9500 (open, not much bass) and Bose Soundtrue around ear II. The M50x is a better sounding can than 598 Cs IMO, but its comfort is just so-so.

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks to everyone for the input! I'm back to considering open headphones (so that my ears could breath) so it's a toss between the Senneheiser HD558 and the Philips SHP9500. Which one sounds better out of the box without any EQ fiddling (after equal burn-in)? I've also seen a few reviews complaining about L/R imbalance on the Philips.

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 10
I prefer the HD558, personally. I think it has a smoother signature and a wider stage. Again, just my opinion. There is also a mod that can be done on the HD558, the instructions for which are on the 558 thread, that may improve the sound quality so that it is closer to or on a par with the HD598. So, in reality, when you buy a 558, you are really getting something closer to the 598 (with mod). If you are not into modding, you are still getting a very good headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back