Magni 2 + fiio D03k + Hd650
Jul 27, 2017 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dozer

New Head-Fier
Alright guys Ive just recently started getting in Sound, as I have no TV and most of the time Im either playing games, listening to music, or watching movies from my PC. Last month I got a raise and a good bonus at work and decided to spend my money on the HD650s as i loved my hd558s, so i said hell with it, got the money and nothing else to spend it on. My computer currently has the Creative ZX soundcard, not the Z nor the ZXR, but I know it was pushing my 558s a lot louder. Now the 650s sound way better but they aren't loud like the loud i want. I need more power. So Im coming to you guys for some guidance, I was doing research and came across the Fiio D03k which i could connect via the optical cable, then connect the schitt magni 2 via the rca cable. Is this even a good Idea? or should i consider something else? i have roughly 300 bucks to throw away on some good audio equipment for my pc. Sorry if this post sounds so noobish. Any advice would be awesome so I could really push these headphones to their full potential.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 16
Soundcard does not matter if you are going to use a dac as your dac is going to do all the digital to analogue conversions. So is the 300.00 for the dac and amp and cables? Where are you located? I would suggest you not purchasing the fiio.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 16
Alright guys Ive just recently started getting in Sound, as I have no TV and most of the time Im either playing games, listening to music, or watching movies from my PC. Last month I got a raise and a good bonus at work and decided to spend my money on the HD650s as i loved my hd558s, so i said hell with it, got the money and nothing else to spend it on. My computer currently has the Creative ZX soundcard, not the Z nor the ZXR, but I know it was pushing my 558s a lot louder. Now the 650s sound way better but they aren't loud like the loud i want. I need more power. So Im coming to you guys for some guidance, I was doing research and came across the Fiio D03k which i could connect via the optical cable, then connect the schitt magni 2 via the rca cable. Is this even a good Idea? or should i consider something else? i have roughly 300 bucks to throw away on some good audio equipment for my pc. Sorry if this post sounds so noobish. Any advice would be awesome so I could really push these headphones to their full potential.

Schiit Modi2 Uber (connect it to the sound card via SPDIF optical) and Magni2 or Vali2.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 16
Alright guys Ive just recently started getting in Sound, as I have no TV and most of the time I'm either playing games, listening to music, or watching movies from my PC. Last month I got a raise and a good bonus at work and decided to spend my money on the HD650s as i loved my HD558s, so i said hell with it, got the money and nothing else to spend it on. My computer currently has the Creative Zx sound card, not the Z nor the ZxR, but I know it was pushing my HD558s a lot louder. Now the 650s sound way better but they aren't loud like the loud i want. I need more power. So I'm coming to you guys for some guidance, I was doing research and came across the FiiO D03k which i could connect via the optical cable, then connect the Schitt Magni 2 via the rca cable. Is this even a good Idea? or should i consider something else? i have roughly 300 bucks to throw away on some good audio equipment for my PC. Sorry if this post sounds so noobish. Any advice would be awesome so I could really push these headphones to their full potential.
Have you tried connecting the HD650 headphones directly into the Sound Blaster Z card's headphone port, without using the SB-Zx's ACM module?
You could try connecting an external headphone amplifier (Magni or other), to the SB-Zx's Front Speaker port.
(the SB-Zx does come with a nice CS4398 DAC chip)
It will bypass the SB-Zx's SBX Headphone surround sound, but you do not need that for music
or playing game or watching movies, in stereo audio.

You might consider spending more of your audio budget, for a tube amp.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

You can always add, at a later date and optical DAC (D03K or other)

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 16
Soundcard does not matter if you are going to use a dac as your dac is going to do all the digital to analogue conversions. So is the 300.00 for the dac and amp and cables? Where are you located? I would suggest you not purchasing the fiio.
Im located in Southern California, thats the budget at the moment so to say, but give it another paycheck i can add another 200 bucks or so.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 16
update guys, as of right now I was able to get the Fiio D03K for 10 bucks brand new from craigslist. Should i use it or just put it aside and use something else?

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 16
update guys, as of right now I was able to get the Fiio D03K for 10 bucks brand new from craigslist. Should i use it or just put it aside and use something else?

Keep it. At the very least, for that kind of money, it makes a great back up.

im on amazon right now it looks like the modi 2 doesnt have that optical out

It's the Modi2 Uber that has the optical input.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 16
Keep it. At the very least, for that kind of money, it makes a great back up.

It's the Modi2 Uber that has the optical input.
ahhhhhhhh alright so get the Uber connect it via the optical then pair it up with the magni 2 is the best bet? I can order both now and get it by saturday lol

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 16
Heck being that close to Schiit i would visit so you can listen to the difference between the magni 2 and vali 2.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 16
ahhhhhhhh alright so get the Uber connect it via the optical then pair it up with the magni 2 is the best bet? I can order both now and get it by saturday lol

Using SPDIF from the soundcard means you retain all the DSP functions of the soundcard - if you use virtual surround for example you get the same effects through the DAC and HPamp.

Jul 30, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 16
I just wanna say thanks to those who guided me through, Im a proud new owner of the Schiit modi 2 uber and the Schiit Magni 2, had the chance to try out the d03k for a day until my modi 2 came in and it was really pleasurable, but the modi is definitely better, and they look good stacked lol. WHAT THE SCHIIT!!!!!! i love it, thanks again guys.

Jul 30, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Glad you got a better dac. Enjoy your pile of schiit. I know I am enjoy mine right now with my hd650.\
oAstNnL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back