Looking for portable DAC (alternative to Schiit Modi/Magni)
Jul 27, 2017 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KaiFi

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone. The main setup I use for listening to my lossless digital audio is a Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 combo that I use with my desktop computer (and Sennheiser HD599 headphones).

Recently, however, I got a new MacBook Pro and I'd like to find something more portable to use that doesn't require wall power.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me a portable DAC with sound quality similar to the Schiit stack (assuming I'm using the same headphones and same digital files--I mostly listen to classical music).

I'm considering the DragonFly Red or maybe another Fiio or a Schiit Fulla. I'd like to get the Chord Mojo but don't know that I can afford that right now.

I like the Schiit Magni because it has an analog volume dial. That's not a requirement, but I like to be able to adjust the volume finely.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 4
The Fulla 2 is quite a bit better than the original Fulla in many ways, but isn't so portable.

The Mojo is leagues beyond any of the others. If your budget can go up to $400, there are used ones available for that much and sometimes less.

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks.

By "portable", I really just mean that it doesn't require wall power. Anything that I can carry in a backpack is portable enough for me, doesn't have to be fit-in-my-pocket portable.

From what I'm reading on Reddit, the Fulla 2 has the same DAC as the Modi 2, the main difference is in the amp, but my headphones aren't hard to drive. So maybe for me it would sound more or less the same as the stack.

And yeah, the Chord Mojo seems amazing; maybe I can get it after I save up a bit more. If I want something now I'll probably have to settle for something under $250 or so.

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks.

By "portable", I really just mean that it doesn't require wall power. Anything that I can carry in a backpack is portable enough for me, doesn't have to be fit-in-my-pocket portable.

From what I'm reading on Reddit, the Fulla 2 has the same DAC as the Modi 2, the main difference is in the amp, but my headphones aren't hard to drive. So maybe for me it would sound more or less the same as the stack.

And yeah, the Chord Mojo seems amazing; maybe I can get it after I save up a bit more. If I want something now I'll probably have to settle for something under $250 or so.

You're good to go, then! (As long as your portable devices work with it.)

It very well may sound the same. I owned a handful of products in the Magni and Modi series, but usually did not compare directly to the Fulla 2.

(Side note: The Fulla 2 sounds better when used in DAC only mode, though this only applies if you are using an external amp, including connecting to powered speakers. As with many DAC/amps, its amp colors the sound.)

(Another side note: The JDS Labs OL DAC has the same DAC chip as the Modi 2 and Fulla 2, but sounds pretty different. So there's more at work here.)

I gotta tell ya: I'm catnip crazy over Chord. Never been so impressed with DACs before. But if you need something under $250, the Fulla 2 should be more than good enough and would enable you to save/reinvest the leftover cash.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back