Looking for good new earbuds under $100
Apr 18, 2017 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cgramer

New Head-Fier
Hello! I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Chris, I live near Washington, DC, and am in the process of upgrading my home audio gear across the board, replacing my old 1979-era Pioneer SX-680 with Emotiva separates (PT-100 & A-300), and my aging Yamaha NS-A3825 towers with a Hsu HB-1 MK2/ULS-15 MK2 bookshelf/sub combo.

I'm also looking to upgrade my long-lived Samsung freebie earbuds, which I've been using since I got them with my Galaxy S Captivate smartphone back in 2010. They sound quite good (see this thread), but I'm looking for something better, though probably not "high end."

I'd like new earbuds with an extended frequency response, solid and undistorted bass, and airy highs. I'm definitely looking for something wired; if there are any earbuds with interchangeable conventional headphone and USB-C connectors, that'd be great, but probably no USB-C for now.

I've had headphones (not earbuds, though) from Sony and AKG in the past that I've really liked, so maybe something from one of those brands. Also, noise canceling isn't needed, since the earbud design tends to give me the isolation I need.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 9
  Hello! I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Chris, I live near Washington, DC, and am in the process of upgrading my home audio gear across the board, replacing my old 1979-era Pioneer SX-680 with Emotiva separates (PT-100 & A-300), and my aging Yamaha NS-A3825 towers with a Hsu HB-1 MK2/ULS-15 MK2 bookshelf/sub combo.

I'm also looking to upgrade my long-lived Samsung freebie earbuds, which I've been using since I got them with my Galaxy S Captivate smartphone back in 2010. They sound quite good (see this thread), but I'm looking for something better, though probably not "high end."

I'd like new earbuds with an extended frequency response, solid and undistorted bass, and airy highs. I'm definitely looking for something wired; if there are any earbuds with interchangeable conventional headphone and USB-C connectors, that'd be great, but probably no USB-C for now.

I've had headphones (not earbuds, though) from Sony and AKG in the past that I've really liked, so maybe something from one of those brands. Also, noise canceling isn't needed, since the earbud design tends to give me the isolation I need.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Given your price range and list of particulars, I would suggest the 1More Triple Driver and the RHA MA750 as good options. You might read about them and see what you think. Both are terrific, they are just different, as you will see. If you want to spend less money for some reason, I really like the SoundMAGIC E10 a whole darn lot (rhe E10C is the most recent iteration of this old standard). Ruggedly built, great sound quality. Also worth looking into. There are others, if you want a longer list, but this is a solid start.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't heard of any of these, but they seem great and they're really well reviewed.

The RHA MA750s are interesting, but I don't know that I'd like the whole over-the-ear clip thing (they don't appear to be optional). The 1More Triple Driver seems more like what I'm looking for, so I'll dig into the 1,000+ reviews on Amazon. I'll also read up on the SoundMAGIC E10C, which also looks like a contender.

I've clearly come to the right place. :)

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 9
  Any thoughts on the Focal Sphear? Seems like the 1Mores and Focals might be the two I end up choosing between.

Chris

You know, I have not heard the Sphear yet. Have heard mostly good things. Two notes of caution are that the isolation is not very good and the bass is light. Whether those two issues are enough to tip the scales is up to you, of course. Personally, based on what I have read and heard, I would go with the 1More.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 9
You know, I have not heard the Sphear yet. Have heard mostly good things. Two notes of caution are that the isolation is not very good and the bass is light. Whether those two issues are enough to tip the scales is up to you, of course. Personally, based on what I have read and heard, I would go with the 1More.
It's been a while since I posted this, but I thought I'd follow up anyway. :)

I got the 1MORE Triple Drivers as a Father's Day gift, and I'm very pleased! The bass is excellent in that it's authoritative and deep, yet very clean and clear. The midrange is fantastic, bringing out instruments I hadn't even noticed before in some of my music, such as subtle rhythm guitars or keyboard parts. Initially I thought the treble was lacking, but upon further listening it's definitely not lacking, but just perhaps a bit laid back. Listening without the benefit of any EQ, it seems a bit *too* laid back for me, but the overall sound is still fantastic. Definitely beats my old Samsung freebies. With EQ, such as when using iTunes on my laptop or Apple Music on my phone (you can't apply the EQ settings to other music apps on the iPhone, sadly), that little extra bit of high end makes these perfect.

Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Chris

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 9
I am sure most understood what you were after, and that is good,
but just to clarify.

This is an earbud:
shozy%202.5-700x700.jpg

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 9

I got the 1MORE Triple Drivers as a Father's Day gift, and I'm very pleased! The bass is excellent in that it's authoritative and deep, yet very clean and clear. The midrange is fantastic, bringing out instruments I hadn't even noticed before in some of my music, such as subtle rhythm guitars or keyboard parts. Initially I thought the treble was lacking, but upon further listening it's definitely not lacking, but just perhaps a bit laid back. Listening without the benefit of any EQ, it seems a bit *too* laid back for me, but the overall sound is still fantastic. Definitely beats my old Samsung freebies. With EQ, such as when using iTunes on my laptop or Apple Music on my phone (you can't apply the EQ settings to other music apps on the iPhone, sadly), that little extra bit of high end makes these perfect.

Chris
Hey--glad they are working out for you!

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 9

Chris
I got mine for Christmas from the wife but yes they are a tad laid back you would find the Quad Drivers more to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back