Looking for a fun, energetic headphone for under $500.
Oct 8, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I have quite small ears and for me at least, the MS2i with bowls are very comfortable and they also sound so good I have not really experimented with pads (I did with my SR-60, but I ended using bowls with those as well)... others have complained about grado/alessandro comfort, so it really is a personal thing I'm afraid. Flats and HD414 pads will be more comfortable probably, but they sound slightly different (better/worse is subjective again)

as the Max is still relatively new, there won't be that much units being sold already... the standard Millet (with diamond buffers etc) might be easier to find and sounds great as well.

I don't know about commercial builders, but you can always place a WTB-ad in the amp-FS section and see if it attracts offers from non-commercial DIY'ers (lots of ppl have bought multiple Max-boards so there will be some going around, even though it might be a bit too early still)

But also, don't necessarily limit yourself to the Millet... there are other options I guess and a bit of research in the amp section might result in other good and not too expensive tube/grado-alessandro combos (Soha? LD II? ...)

Ah, ok. I'll have to wait and see about the comfort then.

I've heard lots of good things about the Millet amps, and I was very close to buying one that was in the FS section last month so I'm quite interested in them. The Little Dot II++ are on eBay for quite cheap actually. I'll read a few reviews and see what suits me best.

Ok, so it's either MS2's, or a used RS-2 if I can find one. Should be good. Can't wait now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks everyone.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #18 of 41
How about the Ultrasone Proline 2500's? They seem to have a lot of punch to me. They take a while to burn in, but they're great fun to listen to! They shouldn't be too expensive in the UK.

With a few minor mods, they can be tuned to sound pretty much as you would like them.

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Ultrasone Proline 2500's? They seem to have a lot of punch to me. They take a while to burn in, but they're great fun to listen to! They shouldn't be too expensive in the UK.

With a few minor mods, they can be tuned to sound pretty much as you would like them.

Thanks for the suggestion.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't really know much about Ultrasone. I'll have a read around and see what I think.

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #20 of 41
I've been thinking. £150 is quite a lot to spend, and might be completely wasted if I don't like the Grado sound signature. So I was wondering if it would be worth getting some SR80's for now, seeing if I like the sound, and if I do then upgrade to the MS2i's?

Does that make sense, or should I just dive right into the expensive Alessandro's?
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking. £150 is quite a lot to spend, and might be completely wasted if I don't like the Grado sound signature. So I was wondering if it would be worth getting some SR80's for now, seeing if I like the sound, and if I do then upgrade to the MS2i's?

Does that make sense, or should I just dive right into the expensive Alessandro's?
tongue.gif

The SR-80 are a great set of phones; but on your side of the pond the Alessandro MS-1 may be less expensive. They sell for $99 with free shipping anywhere on the planet. I suspect that the folks at your border would tack on something extra, but the MS-1 may still be less expensive and you would also get the Alessandro "sound" which is somewhat different than the traditional Grados.

The MS-1 ships with the entry-level Grado "comfy" pads rather than the Bowls as used on the remainder of most of the Grado/Alessandro line. But then again; lots of folks like the Comfies just fine.

...then there's "Pad Rolling"!! That's where folks determine just which set of pads best fit their own style of personal performance and comfort. Pads are really quite inexpensive and easy to get, and a lot of fun to swap around.

But yeah; the MS2i has it's own little brother; the MS-1....the Gateway Drug!

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #22 of 41
"Real" Grados are quite expensive outside of US so you won't have a good bang for the buck if you live in the UK.
Maybe you could get some Alessandro MS-1(100$ incl shipping), they're maybe cheaper than SR-80 in UK but I read that they are better.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-80 are a great set of phones; but on your side of the pond the Alessandro MS-1 may be less expensive. They sell for $99 with free shipping anywhere on the planet. I suspect that the folks at your border would tack on something extra, but the MS-1 may still be less expensive and you would also get the Alessandro "sound" which is somewhat different than the traditional Grados.

The MS-1 ships with the entry-level Grado "comfy" pads rather than the Bowls as used on the remainder of most of the Grado/Alessandro line. But then again; lots of folks like the Comfies just fine.

...then there's "Pad Rolling"!! That's where folks determine just which set of pads best fit their own style of personal performance and comfort. Pads are really quite inexpensive and easy to get, and a lot of fun to swap around.

But yeah; the MS2i has it's own little brother; the MS-1....the Gateway Drug!

Yeah I've noticed how expensive Grado's are. Free shipping on Alessandro's really is a life saver. Espeically seeing as the dollar is so good for us right now.
tongue.gif

Pads aren't a problem for customs I don't think. There's some silly limit I think. Like if it's below $40 then it doesn't get held. TTVJ has pads for $30-ish so that's good. The MS-1's might get caught though. Although, they're only £50 so I doubt customs charge will be too much.

I'm still undecided whether or not to just spring for the MS2i's. The MS-1's do seem to have a huge following though.

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #24 of 41
MS1 will give you a good taste of what to expect of the MS2i and they will be easily sold if you decide you want to upgrade to the MS2i or if you decide you don't like the grado/alessandro sound

on the other hand, while buying a grado outside the US is way too expensive, there are shops that stock them (only grado, not alessandro) and will allow auditioning... that might give you a taste before ordering and this might be enough to make up your mind already

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1 will give you a good taste of what to expect of the MS2i and they will be easily sold if you decide you want to upgrade to the MS2i or if you decide you don't like the grado/alessandro sound

on the other hand, while buying a grado outside the US is way too expensive, there are shops that stock them (only grado, not alessandro) and will allow auditioning... that might give you a taste before ordering and this might be enough to make up your mind already

I don't know of any shops that even have somewhat high end headphones by me.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe no one has said Sextet.

Aren't they extremely hard to find?

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #27 of 41
I'd just jump strait in and buy the MS2's. They match the description of what you're looking for perfectly and can be sold quite easily with little loss if you don't like them (which you wont.)
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd just jump strait in and buy the MS2's. They match the description of what you're looking for perfectly and can be sold quite easily with little loss if you don't like them (which you wont.)
wink.gif

Thanks for your input. Yeah hopefully I'll enjoy them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are like 3 Sextets on ebay right now. They are hard to drive, not find.

However, a Heed CanAmp can drive them well, and they can be found for like, $350 and less. Sextets are at most 60 euros.

Ah. Must have gotten them confused with something else. (can't think what though
blink.gif
)

I don't think my amp is sufficient right now so I don't know if they're worth considering. Although, if I ever feel like going AKG (which I probably will at one point) I'll look further into those.

Thanks

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first set that comes to mind is the Grado RS-2! They have better than average...by Grado standards....bass, and compared to most Grados; the treble is slightly less emphasized.

And they're in your price range!

Agreed, and an excellent choice both as a complementary can to the AH-D2000 and for its simplistic synergistic requirements to sound very nearly its full potential with nearly any system,IMO!!!

I did love mine when I owned them
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back