LG G6 Sound Quality
Apr 20, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #107 of 453
Thank you for heads up Collin! I was a little on the fence for 800$, but for 600$ it's great. Thank a lot, black model here I come!

Awesome, did you get it from "Never-MSRP?" I sent them a message asking if it has a Quad DAC and they said "we have no idea." Then I asked if it was the Hong Kong version, and they said yes. So, I sure hope they're correct on that!

-Collin-

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #108 of 453
Yeah. I think there are the only one selling it for this price. I don't think it's very important that it's from Hong Kong, I know Russian and Ukrainian models also share this model number, all the bands and qdac.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #109 of 453

Awesome, did you get it from "Never-MSRP?" I sent them a message asking if it has a Quad DAC and they said "we have no idea." Then I asked if it was the Hong Kong version, and they said yes. So, I sure hope they're correct on that!

-Collin-

Hi SeeSax, mind doing a review comparison between the v20 and the LG G6 when you've received it? Really curious on how the amp & quad dac performs and whether or not the G6's amp is as powerful as the v20 in driving those bigger headphones.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #110 of 453
Hi SeeSax, mind doing a review comparison between the v20 and the LG G6 when you've received it? Really curious on how the amp & quad dac performs and whether or not the G6's amp is as powerful as the v20 in driving those bigger headphones.

I sold the V20, but I can definitely report on the amp portion of the G6. I remember where on the volume I used to listen to the V20 in various modes.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #111 of 453
Just to chime in on my own 3cents worth. I think the v20 n lg g6 is almost the same. I did a test with my er4s to ensure to kick it into high impedance everytime. Same power. Bass reduced on g6. Slightly smoother in my opinion. Mids n treble more forward i feel and not due to the reduction in bass as i use the same vol and all and same tracks. Spotify extreme quality on both. Soundstage and imaging is just a small marginal improvement. So more of a sidegrade of a diff sound sig. For me. It so happens to fit my taste more. And i do prefer a smaller footprint in my pocket as well. So best of both worlds for me.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #112 of 453
I also sold my V20 to fund the purchase of the G6.  I agree that the power is the same especially needing to force it into high impedance mode for my Audeze EL8 closed and using same volume as on V20.  
In sound quality they are both broadly same which is expected since same DAC however the bass is less on G6 and this makes the highs more apparent and I enjoy this signature more.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #113 of 453
The claims of less bass than the V20 make me want to cancel my purchase. I found the V20 to have less bass than the HTC 10 and Axon 7! Now even less bass?

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #115 of 453
  Wellllllll after the eBay price dropped to $579 on the HK version, I jumped on it. I wasn't going to pay $700+, but, I'll take a risk for $579 and see if this is all its cracked up to be. If it's the same as the V20, but in a smaller more pocket friendly form then I will consider it a win. I also have the S8 coming too. 

-Collin-

Dang, payed the $699 price from the same seller a few days ago. Still in transit. Guess I should have been patient.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #116 of 453
Just to chime in on my own 3cents worth. I think the v20 n lg g6 is almost the same. I did a test with my er4s to ensure to kick it into high impedance everytime. Same power. Bass reduced on g6. Slightly smoother in my opinion. Mids n treble more forward i feel and not due to the reduction in bass as i use the same vol and all and same tracks. Spotify extreme quality on both. Soundstage and imaging is just a small marginal improvement. So more of a sidegrade of a diff sound sig. For me. It so happens to fit my taste more. And i do prefer a smaller footprint in my pocket as well. So best of both worlds for me.

I also sold my V20 to fund the purchase of the G6.  I agree that the power is the same especially needing to force it into high impedance mode for my Audeze EL8 closed and using same volume as on V20.  
In sound quality they are both broadly same which is expected since same DAC however the bass is less on G6 and this makes the highs more apparent and I enjoy this signature more.

Me too am leaning toward a slightly warm and aggressive signature. The reduction in bass is troubling to hear for me, but would you guys say the bass is at least of equal quantity to the mids and highs? If compared to other daps and phones do you thing the g6 is one of those devices that has the least bass quantity?

To you guys, do you thing the bass is lacking in quantity or is it the right amount / just nice to feel the punch/bass slam? I'm not really a bass head but I would at least want to hear a punch in the low end and also like the presence of the bass to be slightly overtake the treble and mids in terms of quantity by 3-10%. 

And finally, in terms of sound quality the only difference between the lg g6 and v20 is the slight improvement in sound stage and separation? Other than that the v20 has slightly stronger bass but the quality/clarity of it stays the same? 

Thanks!

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #117 of 453
Me too am leaning toward a slightly warm and aggressive signature. The reduction in bass is troubling to hear for me, but would you guys say the bass is at least of equal quantity to the mids and highs? If compared to other daps and phones do you thing the g6 is one of those devices that has the least bass quantity?

To you guys, do you thing the bass is lacking in quantity or is it the right amount / just nice to feel the punch/bass slam? I'm not really a bass head but I would at least want to hear a punch in the low end and also like the presence of the bass to be slightly overtake the treble and mids in terms of quantity by 3-10%. 

And finally, in terms of sound quality the only difference between the lg g6 and v20 is the slight improvement in sound stage and separation? Other than that the v20 has slightly stronger bass but the quality/clarity of it stays the same? 

Thanks!

I feel the bass is sufficient but dont think it overtakes mids and high. I am using er4s and it is bright by nature. On my ba200 customs on silver cable, i think the sound is sightly warmer with a little more bass of cuz due to the nature of the iem. But it would sound as if ur might prefer the v20 in general.

I am far from a basshead and more of a treble head but my tolerance for bass is scary. I dont even like the bass quantity on even the noble savant, heir 4ais. Even the customs ba200 seems a little. Just a little overwhelming to me previously on the v20. Even a er4 with copper cable is kinda a little too much. The er4s. Actually. The best so far. So u should take it with a pinch of salt when i say, the bass is sufficent.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #118 of 453
I found between the HTC 10 and the V20 I preferred the V20 as it had less bass.  The HTC 10 had more bass on everything.  The G6 does not have that much drop in bass from the V20 but just enough that the highs/mids no longer seem subdued.  For portable use I have Roxannes and can tune the bass via pots so no complaints on less bass in G6, it sounds better to me, more balanced than the V20 which seemed more bottom heavy.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #120 of 453

-Collin-

For those interested in the H870DS, it should be noted that (contrary to "Never-MSRP's" listing), it does not include band 17 which appears to be the primary band that AT&T (and subsidiaries like Cricket) use for LTE/4G. Unfortunately I had to figure that out the hard way. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back