LF foldable over-ear headphones for ~~1000€
Jun 24, 2017 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tennessee

100+ Head-Fier
-over ear
-closed
-foldable!

I'm using for that Momentum 2, but I wonder what would be an upgrade from them?
Had before ATH M50(x), liked them quite a lot. I tried P7, but they are meh for me.
So I am counting on other propositions.
Thanks.

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 7
-over ear
-closed
-foldable!

I'm using for that Momentum 2, but I wonder what would be an upgrade from them?
Had before ATH M50(x), liked them quite a lot. I tried P7, but they are meh for me.
So I am counting on other propositions.
Thanks.
You are not going to want to hear this but I think you should look seriously at a P9. The drivers are completely new as is the headphone design itself. It is alike the P7 only in the presence of the letter 'P'' in the name. The P9 sounds fantastic. Definitely worth a look, IMO.

Jun 25, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 7
They are brown, I love brown!
I am going to try them, but what I am afraid about reviews say bass is on the rich side (which was the only reason I sold my DT 1770 pro)...

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 7
Not heard Momentum 2, no idea if these are upgrades & not recommending them, but foldable "high end" headphones I can think of:

Ultrasone Signature Pro (or Sig Studio)
Sennheiser HD630VB.
Sony MDR1000x

Personally had & liked the Sig DJ but only for 1/3rd the price (maybe too bassy to recommend if dt1770 is already too bassy). Audio Technica MSR7 don't fold but they come in brownish! (SR9 is new model in that series but few & rather mixed impressions so far).

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 7
Which of those Ultrasone's suppose to have less bass (Signature PRO or Signature DJ, or it's just the colour)? I think I'm gonna try them (along with P9), since I always wanted to try out some Ultrasone's.
HD630VB looks huge, don't like that. I had msr7 brown since premiere, gave them as a present one day, as I wasn't impressed by the sound too much. And they were squeaking when moving head! Sony MDR1000x I'm pretty sure they will be too bassy and they look cheap for me.

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 7
Yeah Signature DJ is the bassy one.
Some advice I would give about Signature is when you are trying it out wear it for as long as you can to gauge comfort, the earpads compress a lot over time- some people report it becomes rather uncomfortable and they add material inside of them to make more room (I tried this with DJ and it worked but it changed the sound negatively for me).

HD630 are indeed pretty big. I only tried MDR1000x in a store locked to NC mode, which was pretty bassy- maybe that was the NC DSP but from what i've tried recent Sony headphones seem to have extra bass anyway.

Not sure if there are too many more "high end" foldable headphone options... idk if they are foldable but maybe Oppo PM3 and the Masters and Dynamic headphones? JVC Sigma and Wood 01/02?

Bob Katz did a big headphone comparison on Innerfidelity and selected ATH m50x and PM3 as his favorites so maybe that would be a good match since you like m50 https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-10-mid-priced-sealed-headphone-survey

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 7
I had PM3, I like them a lot, they are nicely build, sounds good and have a nice design, but do not fold (you can only turn earcups by 90 degrees). Those JVCs are nowhere to be find in EU. Master & Dynamic MW60 would be interesting to try! Although they are bluetooth headphones for 500€, so I don't believe it will be a significant upgrade, if at all.
Still, I have now more options than I expected, thank you guys.

Small update:
P9 is a semi-open-back headphones (and I asked about closed ones), so I'll be going with Ultrasone Sig Pro, which is hand made in Germany, not China like B&Ws and will surely play more precisely, as it is dedicated for pros. I'll even give them a shot in my home studio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back