JBL Synchros S700 first impressions, vs V-Moda M100 and more.
Dec 11, 2013 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

wtfwtflol

Head-Fier
This is a short review of the new JBL S700 headphone from their recently launched Synchros line, after 40 hours of proper burn in, and to have it compared to the V-Moda M100, which is the closest I have for this price range and class. Being my first ever review in this forum I hope to translate the sound of these cans as accurate as possible into words (English is my third language), but at the same time keeping it easy to understand for average listeners, which I believe these headphones are targeted for!

It was not easy at all to buy a $300 headphones without having read several unbiased reviews from true audiophiles. But I had faith in the brand and new LiveStage DSP technology it had, which really could be either a win, or total failure. From the second I saw them, I almost knew for sure these would have a warm, embracing, Bose-like sound. I was completely wrong.

I've used these mostly with an iPhone 5s, no amp, no EQ, DSP ON, and compared to the Vmoda M100 and Sony XB920 with the same settings.

Let's start with the sound:

Bass: heavy, but not dominant to my taste:rolleyes:. Every single low note is precise, and comes with texture and shape, and it is expressed in such defined way you could grab a pen and draw it. Crank up the volume, select an EQ, and you will have your head shaken, without compromising much of the detail. It didn't add unnecessary bass to tracks that don't need it, unlike other bass heavy headphones. Compared to the M100, bass is both deeper with more extend, although it lacks the "fun" signature with a less punchy and forward sound. Bass is there, but it is not IN-YOUR-FACE kind of bass, like my Sony XB-920 which are quite muddy and vibrates on my ears. But as I say, these cans are more than willing to go if you push them. :wink: Very little to none distortion at max volumes.

Mids: it is really hard for me to fully describe it, because I lack experience in this field. It sounds very rich and accurate, voices can be heard with a crispier tone than with my V-Moda, not necessarily a good thing if you listen to rap/hip hop music, but for most times, it works very well. :D

Highs: Clear. Crisp. Sharp. Every detail shines like a Christmas light in a dark house, nothing is missing, yet it never feels harsh to my ears, unlike my audiotechnica M50. Raise the volume and bass doesn't not interfere, each tone has its own lane. After a while listening to the S700 and going back to the M100, I immediately feel something is not right: the edges of the square is now gone, leaving me with a semi-circle. I hope you understand what this means. :cool:

Soundstage is wide and has great instruments separation. JBL states these are intended to make the music sound like they were originally meant to be, and I agree! In fact so much, that now I turn off my EQ and don't need the help of BBE sonic Max app to improve my listening experience. I really like S700 this much. They also say LiveStage technology will make you feel like in a concert, sometimes it does, but most time, it is your kind of music which really matters. Don't expect them to do magic.

DSP and LiveStage: To turn off and on the DSP feature, which is basically an integrated inline amp, press the left side button for 3 seconds, and there is a subtle white light and couple beeps to inform you so. When off, it still works but does not sound as vivid, and I have to go back to EQ or my fiios Andes Amp to match the sound. At no point I felt the need to plug in the amp while DSP is ON, it is really TOO MUCH in this configuration. For casual listening, it works well without DSP, but I would never paid $300 for it.

There is a phrase in the box that says: "There's nothing more powerful than original." I will never come up with a better phrase to describe the JBL Synchros S700, because to me, they are THAT good.

Now, because nothing is perfect, let's jump to built quality, accessories, and important observations.

In the box: you will find 2x 3-button aux cables, for android and iPhone. They are 2.5mm to 3.5mm. You read correctly, 2.5mm input on the left side of the headphones, sincerely, what on earth were they thinking? Is there a humanly possible way to get replacements? I don't know. Next is a 2.5mm to USB cable, used to charge the unit's internal li-ion battery. It took me about 2 hours from empty to full. A carrying case is also included, and because the headphone only turns to a side to sit flat and does not fold in anyway, it is quite big. You must unplug the cable before storing it inside the case, I wonder how many times I'm able to do it before the 2.5mm connector or the cable breaks. For a $300 headphone I expected more, or maybe Vmodas raised my expectations a bit too high?

Build quality is top class, with no cheap plastic in sight and very solid construction. This is one heavy pair of cans. Mostly made of aluminum, it looks and feels like it was made by apple. I would say it is robust enough to be on pair with the M100, but at the same time it has that classy feel and look to it. Hard anodizing in mine was flawless. BUT, the cable it comes with is a big letdown, I've only seen cables this thin on sub $50 headphones. And Sadly, there are no replacements at the time due to the 2.5mm input on the unit. Those who know where to get a better cable, please let me know.

I cannot upload any pictures as I'm writing this review from an iPad, but I hope to be able to uploads some pictures soon.

Important observations:
-There are 12 positions to adjust the size of the S700, and I'm pulling it down all the way to 11. For those with a bigger head than me, this could be a potential problem. (I have a average to large size head)
-It can be used with DSP OFF, but I haven't used it much this way because it sounds so much vivid when on. Battery is supposed to last at least 28 hours.
-As stated before, the cable is not the best quality and 2.5mm in the headphone side, so it could be hard to find a proper replacement for it.
-Although the headphone is comfortable, clamping force is still very strong in mine, I could not wear it for more than 2 hours straight.

Bottom line: a very great sounding, accurate headphone that delivers, and then some more. It sits in the line between audiophile-class accuracy and modern headphone vividness, and wipes the floor with any consumer directed integrated-amp headphones in this price range (beats, monsters, soul, 50cent, you name it).

Well this is it. I hope this review has been helpful for those who had a hard time finding reviews, any questions, please feel free to ask me. :D

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 24
Am I missing something? There is like zero excitement across the board on this thing....meaning here on headfi. These sound amazing!!!

Thanks for the review.

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 24
Got my s700 today. A lot smaller than I expected. The case is nice and seems pretty protective. Not exactly a hard case, but isn't soft either. It's velour lined, very nice, and has a pocket to hold any loose cables. The headphone themselves are beautifully constructed. All metal. The ear cushions are pleather,I think, could be real leather. Very soft.

Sound: without live stage on. It's much quieter. Detail is nice and these are bass heavy phones. Detail is good and this setting makes more sense for a majority of studio tracks. Livestage on, is like a built in amp. Louder and wider soundstage. Some tracks don't work for this and some shine. A lot of my live radiohead tunes and dmb tunes sound great with this on. Not sure if these require burn in and I haven't given them enough listening yet, but headed to Pasadena on Sunday so it will get a sufficient test. After I will decide to keep or not.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 24
I am quite blown away with build quality. Not that build quality is the most important, but I can't really picture a better build on any headphone. The swivel is the most seamless, quiet I have heard and they aren't near as heavy as I expected. I will see how heavy they get during a 7 hour flight.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 24
So I see you are not all in all impressed with the S700, IMHO they do need some burn-in time, and believe it or not, you will actually get used to them, to the point where every other headphone will sound dull and lifeless. This is my case after more than a month with these. I believe you should notice some improvements within the first 15 hours of burn in. 

I do agree with you 100% on the swivel part, unlike any other headphone they put a small amount of resistance and it feels really high end. And the clicking when adjusting headphone size has a very precise feel and sound. Also you mentioned some tracks shine and other don't, this is very true due to the peculiar DSP method, some tracks just won't work, and I have to turn off LiveStage or go back to my Vmoda. Sometimes they are just too sharp and bright. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 24
I'm actually impressed so far. They have been burning in thru the night and today while at work to some pink noise on YouTube. Again, I have a 7 hr flight on sunday and a 5:30 hr on Tuesday. If after that I do t like them then I'll ditch them, but so far the comfort is good, but haven't listened for more than 45 min in one sitting. I like the sound very much. It's just a listen and decide on the album if it works better with the livestage on or not. That does not bother me. In fact, I like to A/B the tune to see which sounds better.

Livestage does open the soundstage, when it works, very well. Detail is greater and it's a little brighter. With it off, the tracks are a little warmer and bass is boosted some, IMO., but not too much, just more than when livestage is on.

So far, I'm liking these.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 24
After many more hours of listening and re-exploring the music I'm familiar with, The list of songs that don't sound well with live stage on keeps expanding, and the most noticeable should be Led Zeppelin - all my love (specially 2007 remaster), it sound very tiny when ON, compared to rich and fuller when OFF.

I think I'm seeing a peculiar pattern here, will update next week

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 24
I'm also interested on this Synchros S700. It is indeed very surprising that people over here don't discuss much about it. Most seemed to be carried away with the more common Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Denon, and Beyerdynamic, etc.

It's more expensive than the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro that I was keeping an eye on to buy (- more than twice the price, in fact).

But the frequency response range of the S700 seems to be narrower than the DT 770 Pro.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 24
Hey, I wrote about them in another thread. Really not many audiophile reviews for them, only worthless techblog hype. I have had the headphones since early September, from a launch promotional event.
I still love them. Before them I used Sennheiser HD-25-II for two years, which I have since given to a friend. The JBL is much more enjoyable for casual listening. As mentioned there is plenty of low frequency, but it's not overwhelming and is well balanced, not just emphasising punchy basses. This is maybe my favourite. I like deep rich bass. The Sennheisers completely lack any bass and the pair of Beats Mixr, that I owned for a while, had dumb amounts of the wrong frequencies....

I am still not absolutely convinced that there really is a difference to headphones from burning in, but may be the JBLs are sounding a bit even warmer.

They are really, really sturdy. I imagine that most people are very careful with their (expensive) headphones, but since I get them for free I treat mine as a disposable £20 pair. I backpack around the world in my spare time - plenty of outdoor use, lots of rain, lots of carrying bare in the backpack. Very good and comfortable for travel and long flights. The black aluminium is scratched on some of the edges, as it used to happen to black iPhone 5, but is nothing major.

I pretty much never used the DSP. It's like a preset EQ + amp. I would have appreciated it if I could use the amp without the EQ, but nope. It's kind of like an extreme version of the generic Rock EQ preset. It works surprisingly good for some tracks - especially low quality ones (but why listen to low quality audio on such headphones??), but most of the songs sound very distorted. I actually didn't originally get a charging cable and now the battery is flat, but I don't care.

The only issue I have with them is the cable. It's similar to 2.5mm on the headphone end, it's short and it's easy to pull it out. I haven't managed to loose it yet, but this day will come sooner or later. It's really thin. There is a remote control, but it's either iPhone or Android compatible! There are two standards for wiring headphones with remote control capabilities and they are incompatible (back in the day Nokias used to have different from the others). I initially used the headphones with Galaxy S2 (the worst sounding consumer player I have ever owned!) and the remote used to work fine, but now with an iPhone 4 only the Play/Pause works.

I hope this was helpful :)

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #10 of 24
Thanks for sharing your experience, moridinbg, wtfwtflol & Minarets. It's the unbiased and uninfluenced input by people like you that I really appreciate - away from hype of more popular products. Yes, those more popular products are good, but I also would like to know how lesser-known ones perform. Most of the lesser-known products do not get their due recognition because of the mass popularity of "mainstream" headphones that spill over and cover everything else.

I too am not interested in the DSP of the JBL S700, and I'm guessing the high price is partly due to this proprietary DSP research. If there is a non-DSP version of this model, I would have bought it, presumably with a much lower price tag, since it's available now for purchase near me.

I'm still going through the threads in this forum, and I still seem to come back to choosing the DT 770 Pro, since it seems to fit the bill of most of my requirements, from most of the threads.

And is this S700 a circum-aural type of headset or on-the-ear?

Thanks again.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 24
Been looking into these, but the lack of reviews and talk have made me weary of them. I currently have the JBL 55'S, and love them. The only problem I have with them is distortion. Probably will get them this summer. If the have the same bass as the 55's I know I'd love them

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 24
I'm also interested on this Synchros S700. It is indeed very surprising that people over here don't discuss much about it. Most seemed to be carried away with the more common Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Denon, and Beyerdynamic, etc.

It's more expensive than the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro that I was keeping an eye on to buy (- more than twice the price, in fact).

But the frequency response range of the S700 seems to be narrower than the DT 770 Pro.

Frequency response is just a marketing technique. The human hearing range is 20-20k. Usually less than that.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #13 of 24
Any sound difference between S500 and S700?
It seems they only differ in design and material used:
S500: •Premium design features steel headband and comfortable leather ear cushions
S700: •Premium design features die-cast aluminum frame and luxurious leather ear cushions

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 24
Any sound difference between S500 and S700?
It seems they only differ in design and material used:
S500: •Premium design features steel headband and comfortable leather ear cushions
S700: •Premium design features die-cast aluminum frame and luxurious leather ear cushions

Yes, there is a big difference in sound. I can't tell you much detail about it, because I've only heard them in store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back