iRIVER H340 - Almost audiophile quality
Apr 13, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
ogg isn't bad, but it's still a lossy format. What lossless formats does the 340 support? I'm getting by on Micro and wave, and there's not enough HD space to make me happy. I'm using ER-4P and Stax SR-001, and compression artifacts are all too readily audible
frown.gif

iRiver Korea hinted at a future firmware update that would support waves. Other then that, no lossless at the moment. Hopefully rockbox will release something eventually.

Only players that support lossless AFAIK(besides .wav):
Karma(FLAC)
iPod(ALAC)

Apr 13, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimothy
iRiver Korea hinted at a future firmware update that would support waves. Other then that, no lossless at the moment. Hopefully rockbox will release something eventually.

Only players that support lossless AFAIK(besides .wav):
Karma(FLAC)
iPod(ALAC)

iAUDIO M3 can play both FLAC and WAVE
eek.gif
3000smile.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
can someone tell me how/why the h300
and h100 is colored? I never understood this.

Don't worry it is just an opinion, not a fact.

I have never had problems with ER-4P and compression artifacts
being too readily audible with my iRiver H120.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
can someone tell me how/why the h300 and h100 is colored? I never understood this. Does it just sound that way with certain headphones? Is the sound just different from other daps. Has anyone here done and abx test with a lossy codec at its max and flac or another lossless codec? On my system I can't here the difference and only use flac to archive my cds at it was meant to. What is the point of putting flac/lossless on a portable player when you can put a larger amount of songs at the same perceptible quality. If you can a-b test the difference or just bltantly hear the differnce between a well encoded lossy codec and lossless codec more power to ya. I am sorry for the score of questions and my tone but could some please tell me what I am missing or just blissfully unaware of...

When set at 'flat' with no effects, the H1xx boosts the lows (especially in the mid-bass) and jerks up the highs a little for a 'consumer pleasing' sound. It makes up for a slight lack of core sound quality on the unit for most, causing them to pronounce it 'better'. Sony pulls the same trick.

There are practical problems to putting even lossless on a player... it takes up too much space. Certainly for me, I prefer to compromise slightly on sound for hugely increased song capacity. But WAV? Well... unless you have space to burn such as on an NJB3 with an upgraded HDD (and because the NJB3 keeps it's own database synced with Mediasource, which 'tags' WAVs), I see less point than that, certainly for portable use. WAVs are clumsily handled on a non-databasing player like the H1xx and the digital playback using high-bitrate compressed files was less than stellar. I think many people use the H1xx with high quality DACs solely because they can.

Apr 13, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 41
The line out was tested by seadzz, and it was totally flat- much flatter than ipod and the infamous roll-off <32ohm.

So where did you get this "opinon" that the H120/H140 alters the sound?
Anyway if there is a sound adjusting thing in the firmware, Rockbox will soort that
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
When set at 'flat' with no effects, the H1xx boosts the lows (especially in the mid-bass) and jerks up the highs a little for a 'consumer pleasing' sound. It makes up for a slight lack of core sound quality on the unit for most, causing them to pronounce it 'better'. Sony pulls the same trick.

thank you for providing some information about this even though I am going to have to politely disagree with you because the numbers state other wise. Their does seem to be a s slight increase in the mids but the low end seems to be presented and the highend seem to be presented equally. I will have to run my own test to verify seadzz or was it breez's results. Thank You for giving me something.

Flac plus dap is retarted imo... Space waste

Apr 13, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #23 of 41
I was talking about the default headphone out sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
The line out was tested by seadzz, and it was totally flat- much flatter than ipod and the infamous roll-off <32ohm.

So where did you get this "opinon" that the H120/H140 alters the sound?
Anyway if there is a sound adjusting thing in the firmware, Rockbox will soort that
icon10.gif

But why test the line out with a headphone load?

I'm sure Rockbox will also create World Peace, resurrect Elvis and bring Christ, Mohammed and Buddha down to earth again. However, getting anywhere near the iPod or Rio (or even approach the Sony) for navigation and everyday ease of use is likely to be beyond it.

Apr 13, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #25 of 41
The H120 and H340 use the same codec (UDA1380) with quote "24-bit data path for Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) and Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC)", ie you get great digital to analogue conversion found on pro gear.

I dont think the sound is coloured, its just an upfront soundstage which when coming from more laid back sources could be interpreted as such.

But yeah navigation could be better if you want to keep fiddling.

Apr 13, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #26 of 41
i from my experience, the iriver does not have a neutral sound as the bass is definently boosted, and the iaudio has the higher frequencies boosted imo.

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I'm sure Rockbox will also create World Peace, resurrect Elvis and bring Christ, Mohammed and Buddha down to earth again. However, getting anywhere near the iPod or Rio (or even approach the Sony) for navigation and everyday ease of use is likely to be beyond it.

I know you mean this in jest....but don't forget that Rockbox was really a "coup" for Archos owners. The new firmware literally saved the functionality of those devices.

If someone has some issues with the Iriver, and feels the Rockbox firmware may be a big help, their hope may not be totally misplaced considering the historical precedent.

Apr 13, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #28 of 41
if I remember correctly, Seadzz tests also showed the headphone out of the Iriver as flat sounding. The showed no boosts in the middle, nor recessions as the ipods suffer from. The sound according to the chart is basically flat from end to end, which in other words is refferred as neutral (and that is with both the headphone out and the line out, using E2c's, and senn hd555 headphones which very in impedance much). I would also agree that the Hx00 series are close to audiophile DAPs (Especially the H100 series with their line out).
I also find them to be great players except for the navigation which requires manual organization. With good organization however this player has the fastest song browsing out of the players I have owned/tried (On the other hand With bad organization music scrolling is tedious).
Sound only, I would say these are some of the best sounding DAPs. And on the syenergy topic, I found these player to sound great with Grado SR225 (great syenergy), shure e3 and ER4 (a little bright though).

Apr 13, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #29 of 41
How about the quality of the optical out of Iriver H120/140/320/340?

Apr 13, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
How about the quality of the optical out of Iriver H120/140/320/340?

Only the H1xx have optical out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back