Introduction and Hifiman HE400S Question
May 26, 2017 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Taso1000

New Head-Fier
Hi All!

This forum has always been my goto for all headphone related reference. For some reason I never thought of joining up until recently where I could not find and answer to a question.

5 years ago, from many favorable comments on here, I purchased a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 headphones which I love by the way.

Recently I read about the Hifiman HE400S and Tyl gave them good a rating in his review. How does the HE400S compare to my ATH-AD2000 in sound quality? Also the ATH-AD2000 have never given me any amplification issues since they run great on everything I tried them on.

I listen to mostly metal, techno/trance and not a bass head so the ATH-AD2000 are my perfect headphone for 90% or my listening. When I want more bass I'll use my Denon AH-D5000 that I've done various mods to like Dynamat and JMoney pads.

I tried a pair of HiFiMan HE-400 3 years ago but didn't feel they gave me anything additional to what I already had in the ATH-AD2000.

If I don't gain anything from the HE400S then there's no point in getting them unless they are at least equal to my ATH-AD2000 so that I can have a cheaper headphone that will not make me cry if it get's damaged or lost when taken out and about when traveling.

Are there any better options in the $300 price range?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Taso

May 26, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 8
Haven't heard the AD2000 but the HE400S is balanced and detailed with a reasonably large stage for an open planar. Mids are absolutely glorious and the highs are nicely extended. The bass is rolled off, as it is for most open headphones, but this can be ameliorated by installing the Focus A pads in place of the velour stock ones. It is easy to drive and while it sounds better with an appropriate amp, one is not required. A super nice sounding phone.
In this price range I also like the HD600 and HD650 quite a lot. The 600 has more treble emphasis and the 650, better bass extension. I also think the 650 is more detailed by just a bit, not much. I own both and I listen to both about equally. They are both terrific. You will need an amp for both, as they are 300 ohms and not incredibly sensitive. Well worth the money. I would consider the HD600 and HD650 and HE400S to be about roughly equals. Just my opinion. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

May 26, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 8
serman005,

Thank's for the suggestions of HD600 and HD650. Those may have been compared to the ATH-AD2000. I will research those also.

Hopefully other members will respond that have heard both the HE400S and the ATH-AD2000.

Thank you,

Taso

May 26, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Well haven't heard the AD2000's but do have the 400S and 400's. With a bit of power maybe more than a bit the 400's with a bit of modding are very good in the range of fun.

May 27, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 8
If I don't gain anything from the HE400S then there's no point in getting them unless they are at least equal to my ATH-AD2000 so that I can have a cheaper headphone that will not make me cry if it get's damaged or lost when taken out and about when traveling.

First, the HE400S response curve is in some ways inferior to the HE400(i), which has a very flat from 1000hz down to 10hz. The HE400S response curve is more akin to what you'd get out of most (and including most of the best) dynamic drivers, although you can probably go louder with less distortion.

Second, I wouldn't use the HE400(i) take it "out and about." That's like installing a new audio system in your car and you always drive with the windows or top down. Not that I won't put a good system in an F360 Spyder, just that I'd use it for when the going's too slow I can't enjoy the sound of that 9000rpm V8.

Are there any better options in the $300 price range?

If you just want something to use on the road, you can just get an IEM. And maybe for a lot less than $300 - if it's comfortable then just be less picky with the sound since this isn't your reference system anyway/ Easier to pack too.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 8
I owned a pair of he-400s, and I definitely would not take it "out and about". There's a very well known issue with the headphone cable where it connects to the ear cups; they really start deteriorating with minimal stress, and you will start losing audio out of that channel when you turn your head. After my cable fell apart, it was hard to justify spending at least $50 on a cable for a $200 headphone. Although they're comfortable, they're also very bulky headphones that leak a lot of sound.

Seeing from what you already own, I agree with @ProtegeManiac. You'll be much happier with a good set of IEM's for that money.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 8
Thank you all for your suggestions. My best and favorite iem's, I have lots :wink:, that I own are the DUNU DN-2000. The only complaint I have with them is that the outer body of the iem hurts my ear where it contacts the pinna. I have seen some rubber rings that make them more comfortable but I can't figure out where to buy them. If I remember correctly they were also supposed to help bass. I don't need that but if they made DN-2000's more comfortable to wear it would be awesome. I also have a pair of T-PEOS H200's that also hurt my pinna. These are not as good as the DN-2000's because they have decreased mids. They sit unused because of both of these issues.

Thank you,

Taso

Users who are viewing this thread

Back