If you could only have one pair.
May 25, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #31 of 59
One set, period. No exceptions. Now I'm leaning towards the HD600 as well. It's a lot harder than you think. #firstworldproblems

Edit: nope - it would be the DT880. They're better than the HD600 in pretty much every way to my ears

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #32 of 59
E-MU Teaks. Not portable but easy to drive and I can still use a case. The detachable cables made the decision easier.

May 27, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #33 of 59
It wouldn't be anything i own, or would it?

May 28, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #34 of 59
It wouldn't be anything i own, or would it?

I'm starting to think the same. My initial answer would be my Utopia, because it is head-and-shoulders ahead of the other headphones in terms of articulation, precision, and a complete lack of distortion. I could certainly see myself on an island using these forever. But while listening yesterday to headphones I do not own, Audeze LCD-3 and MrSpeakers Ether Flow, I could certainly hear what these did and the Utopia did not. There was an immediate sense of open space through the Flow, which was interesting - was trying to discern during the listen if it was something I could listen for hours. The LCD-3 was immediately cozy, warm, and inviting - definitely long term listening pleasure. The Utopia was cold, relative to both the LCD-3 and Flow. At home, I would use something like HD800S or LCD-X for more midrange warmth. And I feel comfortable owning the Utopia, knowing I have these alternatives.

In short, I think Utopia would not be the answer, nor anything I currently own. I'd have to give these more ear-time, but my guess is the answer would either be Ether Flow or ZMF Eikon, based on what limited experiences I have with these.

May 28, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #35 of 59
If you had to give up your entire collection and could only keep one pair of headphones - which pair would it be?
I would give up my entire collection for LCD-3s. In fact, I'm trying to do just that. Probably not the most practical, general purpose headphones but so worth it when I relax at the end of the day in my comfy spot.

May 28, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #37 of 59
Has to be something you own or are planning on getting soon. Because otherwise the answer for pretty much everybody would be "HE-1" lol. I just got a beyerdynamic A20 amp and my Amiron Homes are almost here so my answer will (hopefully) change haha

May 29, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #39 of 59
I've enjoyed Sennheiser cans for a long time, but after recently switching to planar magnetics there's no going back. Granted, the planars I currently own are not a flagship model (LCD-2) but I came to believe they are closer to the truth of the sound that any dynamics I've ever heard. So I'll keep them.

Well, I will probably explore the world of planar magnetic phones a but more in the future, bank account permitting.

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #40 of 59
Great choice! Equal to my My suggestion of
It would have to be something for all uses. Portable, desktop use, good sounding in general. Certainly something that can be easily driven
Probably would be koss porta pro.... but due to it's lack of isolation it might not fit all the needs...
HD25. If you could only have one headphone it surely couldn't be too exotic, valuable or precious. The PortaPro can be used in most situations and with anything, sounds plenty good enough and in my experience good for many years. Lifetime warranty seals it obviously

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #41 of 59
I do have a collection. I could easily get by with my Mr. Speakers Ether Flows. Easily driven by all of my amps.

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #43 of 59
Just updated mine since getting my new headphones.

Amiron Home. No question in my mind. I love the DT1990 and DT880 but they sound best with certain genres and only good with others.

The Amiron Home to my ears sounds amazing with every single genre and song I throw at them. I'm actually thinking they're probably my endgame for the time being.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #45 of 59
For me...
It would have to have good isolation, so anything open is out.
It would have to be easily driven, so anything requiring a headphone amp is out.
It would have to be portable. Pretty much all headphones are portable, but I wouldn't want anything really large. It would have to be on-ear or a smaller circumaural.
It would have to be rugged. I've had numerous pairs of headphones that broke in one way or another.
It would have to have good sound.

I honestly don't own anything that fits all these criteria. I have a set of Sony MDR-V6's coming to me from Amazon, and they might fit the bill. I will know by next Tuesday, after I've received them and had a chance to listen,

But I'm thinking that the Sennheiser HD25's (which I don't own yet) might possibly be the winners for me. Won't know till I finally bite the bullet and order them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back