I Like Yo-Yo Ma
Nov 3, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
I think ill go pay a visit stormfront.org for a while.

Wow, I thought it had something to do with meteorology and paid a visit. Won't be going there anymore.

Nov 3, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #17 of 47
I have a bootleg version of appalacian waltz. Is the commercial version live as well? I've never bought any yoyo, cause I'm still collecting du pre and rostapovich right now.

Nov 3, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #18 of 47
yes i believe so. ive never heard it though but im pretty sure its live. ive been hearing lots of good things about du pre. i think im going to check her out. i really like cello alot and all i really listen to is Yo-Yo just because he is the most well know and i seem to be exposed to his music alot more.

Nov 3, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #19 of 47
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by woodytone

ive been hearing lots of good things about du pre. i think im going to check her out. i really like cello alot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitely check out DuPre's work, start with her recording of Haydn's Cello Concerto.

Interestingly, I read somewhere that the cello DuPre played was an old masterpiece, and YoYo Ma owned it afterwards.

Nov 3, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #20 of 47
Classical music has its appealing qualities:

bb_muotinaytos.jpg

Mitch

Nov 3, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #22 of 47
Wilson: yeah thats rad. i heard Yo-Yo plays a 6 million dollar stradivarius. but some really rich dude lent it to him. Thats pretty insane. but it really sounds awsome. his playing and that cello is just an unreal combo. the sound is surreal. its like the most beautiful sound possibily conceivable. i was listening to yo-yo ma's bach cello suite 1 : prelude, and this concept just flooded my mind : "the voice of nature expressing her deepest emotions". listen to the music as if it was speaking a language. when i put that into context i got the chills. yeah it was a true musicial moment. and i must say i havent had very many of thoes.

Nov 3, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #23 of 47
I don't think it's really his fault for being "commercialized". Classical music in the US is not selling very well and playing more "accessible" material is merely a way to stay afloat. At least this is better than that Yundi Li guy who is signed to DG and basically sells his CD on his looks.

Perhaps that's one way to attract younger listeners.

Maybe that's why we have acts like Bond, Vanessa Mei, etc....

Nov 3, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 47
I really like Yo-Yo Ma, and I prefer him to Du Pré in most cases. As for Casals, Fournier and Starker I've heard to few recordings to compare them to Yo-Yo Ma.

I love Yo-Yo Ma's "Inspired by Bach"-recording of Bach's first cello suite, it is probably my favourite recording of this suite. In my opinion it's better than those of Harrel, Du Pré and Casals.

I strongly recommend the CD "Classic Yo-Yo" as it is a nice compilation that will give you a taste of different kinds of music for the cello.

Aug 14, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
well, the guy makes good music, and is obviously one of the best out there today..... but he's way too commercialized. i dunno... it's just something about him that turns me off. it ain't the music... cause yes, i heard it, and it sounds pretty good. too much hype? i guess. but yes, i agree, good stuff. but i don't care for the presentation.

I'm sorry, but yoyo ma is not like joshua bell. He DESERVES the hype, joshua bell can't play for his life, his live performances are filled with so many mistakes. Sony marktes josh's CD based on his looks. I'd say yoyo ma is one of the best musicians in the world right now.

Aug 14, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr
Personally I think there are better cellists than him out there -- Rostropovich, Starker, Fournier, Casals, Du Pre...I think they all beat him.

how do you define "better" and "worse" with the top cellists in the world?

Aug 14, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #27 of 47
you bumped a three year old thread. i'm guessing the folks you're debating with are dead by now.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back