How would you compare the models for a FiiO newbie?
Mar 15, 2017 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Shane D

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello.  I have been into the digital music realm since the fall of 2009.  Mostly with my computer, the car and my ipod speaker docks.  Since I have gone back to apartment living I am shrinking the size of my musical tools.  I have an ipod 7th gen ("new" from Apple several months ago replacing a seven year old unit) and a Sony NWZ-A17.  I like the sound of the ipod (no EQ settings on) and love how iTunes works, probably just because I am so familiar with it and it was my first.  On the flip side I really like the sound (with Clear + audio activated) of the Sony unit and its' really small size.
My headphones, so far, are ATH-M50X, B&W P5 (first gen) and Sennheiser HD598C's.  I am now looking into open back, maybe HifiMan H400S?

Now, after a bit of background filled in, what would you recommend for someone that wants to try a new player with better play quality than the two I already have?  I don't care about streaming as I will never use it.  Bluetooth is cool, but my Sony and my phone do it.  Not really into bells and whistles although smooth operation would be great.  Don't need two card slots.  Regarding just music quality playback, would an X1 2nd gen be a noticable upgrade over what I have?  How about an X3 2nd gen?  Or even an X5 3rd gen?

My entire music collection is only 108GB.  All my old CD's were ripped as ALAC and all the new music is bought off iTunes.  The only exception being about a dozen CD package I bought to introduce myself to Miles Davis 18 months ago.  I am a rock/pop guy who recently (last 18 months) is learning to love jazz.

Really looking forward to your reply!

Thank you.

Shane Delaney, up in the great white north

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 3
If your willing to budget, get the FiiO X5 Gen 2.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 3
So, if I take my micro SD card and a pair of headphones into a local shop, my music will sound noticably better than what I am used to hearing?

Thanks for the reply!

Shane D

PS: does the X5 actually sound better than the X3? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back