How to fix HD 650 headband crack? (not paint chip)
Jul 8, 2011 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

FearSC549

500+ Head-Fier
I bought a semi-broken HD 650 headband to go with my HD 650 drivers a few months ago. There was an existing crack(around half way) in the headband when I bought it, but still held together. However, I broke them today.  I've tried numerous ways to repair(plastic epoxy, super glue, Gorilla glue, ABS glue, flexible epoxy, plastic soldering ~ none worked) the crack before it actually cracked in half. Do anyone know a glue/epoxy or a way that can fix the headband? 

Also, Sennheiser said the HD 650 headband is made of Kevlar-reinforced crap with titanium stuff, is BS. The headband itself is plastic(I really don't know what kind, but I assume ABS) and has a metallic paint(might be titanium particles). 

Here are pictures of the headband, you can see glue residue at one end of the crack, which is from when I tried to repair the semi-crack 

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 17
Hmm....

This is a good one.

You can, if you want fiberglass over it with a fiberglass patch kit. Found at any hardware store and pretty cheap. Not too sure about the interior with the clip joints. Fun, but takes some work option.

Design a new headband to connect the cans to. Keep the driver and shroud the same but make a new headband. Creative option, but hardest

Drills holes on each side and apply a strong band of metal with the same holes and rivet on. Easy option is you know how

Gorilla Glue the SH!% out of it. Layer the glue on and take 4 days to apply the glue to let each cycle dry perfectly for like 6 hours. This would be the best option.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
Hmm....

This is a good one.

You can, if you want fiberglass over it with a fiberglass patch kit. Found at any hardware store and pretty cheap. Not too sure about the interior with the clip joints. Fun, but takes some work option.

Design a new headband to connect the cans to. Keep the driver and shroud the same but make a new headband. Creative option, but hardest

Drills holes on each side and apply a strong band of metal with the same holes and rivet on. Easy option is you know how

Gorilla Glue the SH!% out of it. Layer the glue on and take 4 days to apply the glue to let each cycle dry perfectly for like 6 hours. This would be the best option.

Hmmm..Interesting, I've never thought of using a fiberglass repair kit even though I used it numerous times. The headband is too thin to have a hole drilled in and stick thin metal rivet in between. I think I might roughly sand the joint parts, use Gorilla glue(like 2-3 layers), and then apply fiberglass patch. I think that might work, thanks for the idea! 

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 17
You can also email/call Sennheiser support asking for a quote for a new headband

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 17
I would try to create another band with tape and epoxy resin like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK254&P=0

You may want to go to a hobby shop and ask for advice. You need to create a new band along the length of the broken band, this means completely covering the sennheiser letters and logo with the tape after it has been soaked in epoxy. The tape should be placed from end to end of the band. It won't look pretty but it may work.

I have the suspicion that Sennheiser headphones minus the drivers cost at most $10 bucks to manufacture. They are all snap on plastic parts with a few metal bits, some foam and some wire.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 17
Oh!

Ducktape with super glue on the sticky sides, layered over and over again. Go to the dollar store and spend like $10 in tape and glue. This would work if you layer it correctly.

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
You can also email/call Sennheiser support asking for a quote for a new headband

$92 for a plastic crappy headband is totally worth it. 

Quote:
I would try to create another band with tape and epoxy resin like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK254&P=0

You may want to go to a hobby shop and ask for advice. You need to create a new band along the length of the broken band, this means completely covering the sennheiser letters and logo with the tape after it has been soaked in epoxy. The tape should be placed from end to end of the band. It won't look pretty but it may work.

I have the suspicion that Sennheiser headphones minus the drivers cost at most $10 bucks to manufacture. They are all snap on plastic parts with a few metal bits, some foam and some wire.

So basically you mean to 'coat' the old band with fiberglass treated with resin? 

Quote:
Oh!

Ducktape with super glue on the sticky sides, layered over and over again. Go to the dollar store and spend like $10 in tape and glue. This would work if you layer it correctly.

I seriously doubt duct tape with super glue will work. The 650's headband creates a tight clamping force, which I doubt super glue can hold in place. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:

$92 for a plastic crappy headband is totally worth it. 

So basically you mean to 'coat' the old band with fiberglass treated with resin? 

I seriously doubt duct tape with super glue will work. The 650's headband creates a tight clamping force, which I doubt super glue can hold in place. 

LAYER

Ducktape
SuperGlue
Ducktape
Superglue
Headband top
Superglue
Ducktape

The glue acts as a stronger adhesive for the ducktape and the tape hold the piece together. 

this works as cheap fiberglass. I've done this before to fix a bike i took on a 300 mile road trip. My right fork broke and I applied this in an emergency and ran for 280 or so miles without a problem.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 17
fibertape/nylon string wrapped around an aluminum strip curved to match the headband to act a splint, Then use a thick coat of epoxy resin to solidify the string/fibertape. This will be the strongest hd650 headband in existence
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
LAYER

Ducktape
SuperGlue
Ducktape
Superglue
Headband top
Superglue
Ducktape

The glue acts as a stronger adhesive for the ducktape and the tape hold the piece together. 

this works as cheap fiberglass. I've done this before to fix a bike i took on a 300 mile road trip. My right fork broke and I applied this in an emergency and ran for 280 or so miles without a problem.

After thinking about it, I believe it will work(if it's also layered the same under the headband). The only problem is the layering will cause a big bump, which defeats the purpose of headband padding.

Quote:
fibertape/nylon string wrapped around an aluminum strip curved to match the headband to act a splint, Then use a thick coat of epoxy resin to solidify the string/fibertape. This will be the strongest hd650 headband in existence
biggrin.gif

Aluminum strip....Does anyone have an idea where to find/buy an aluminum strip?

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 17
My current idea is Gorilla glue or ABS glue in the middle, then 2-3 layers of Gorilla/super glue, and then a piece of fiberglass or fiberglass tape with epoxy resin. I might add aluminum strip if possible.

My only concern is........that part flexes the most since it's right in the middle. I'm afraid if it's too stiff, it will create a higher clamping force.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 17
Also, I don't care about how the headband look after the fix because I'm using a Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 headband pad for cushioning, which will cover the entire headband. 

Basically it will look like this 

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
I bought a semi-broken HD 650 headband to go with my HD 650 drivers a few months ago. There was an existing crack(around half way) in the headband when I bought it, but still held together. However, I broke them today.  I've tried numerous ways to repair(plastic epoxy, super glue, Gorilla glue, ABS glue, flexible epoxy, plastic soldering ~ none worked) the crack before it actually cracked in half. Do anyone know a glue/epoxy or a way that can fix the headband? 

Also, Sennheiser said the HD 650 headband is made of Kevlar-reinforced crap with titanium stuff, is BS. The headband itself is plastic(I really don't know what kind, but I assume ABS) and has a metallic paint(might be titanium particles). 

Here are pictures of the headband, you can see glue residue at one end of the crack, which is from when I tried to repair the semi-crack 

I can't tell from the photos, but I was under the impression that it was possibly a carbon fiber-reinforced thermoplastic (i.e. just plastic with some short shredded carbon fibers added) rather than carbon fiber in a thermoset resin.  If you really want carbon fiber, buy an HD 580 Jubilee.

Quote:
LAYER

Ducktape
SuperGlue
Ducktape
Superglue
Headband top
Superglue
Ducktape

Very cool!  But if it was a 300 mile trip and it happened in the first 20 miles...  Was this an offroad trip? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearSC549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aluminum strip....Does anyone have an idea where to find/buy an aluminum strip?

McMaster-Carr.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
I can't tell from the photos, but I was under the impression that it was possibly a carbon fiber-reinforced thermoplastic (i.e. just plastic with some short shredded carbon fibers added) rather than carbon fiber in a thermoset resin.  If you really want carbon fiber, buy an HD 580 Jubilee.

Nope, I doubt that. Usually carbon fiber-reinforced plastic have a shinier surface and doesn't bend that easily. It looks like plain ABS to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back