Hifiman RE-400, Beyerdynamics (i)DX-120 or yet something else?
Apr 27, 2017 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RJVB

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm considering buying a pair of "nomad" ear or headphones to complement my Grado SR60 and Sennheiser HD570 headphones. Something light and compact without an over-the-head band, reasonable to good isolation and sound quality (and comfort!) that doesn't make me want to grab those other phones ... or simply switch to listening over my Klipsch floorstanders.

To give an idea of the music to be played: "period performances" of renaissance through (early) romantic classical, jazz, (old-style) blues, bluegrass and americana, but I also still enjoy youth "favourite bands" like Ultravox and "anything MoTown" from time to time. I've long been a semi-pro baroque violinist so I have rather intimate knowledge what certain instruments sound like (including certain *individual* instruments on a number of my recordings).

I considered an eGrado first, but apparently that'd be a bad idea. I get the impression given my budget that I'd rather be looking at IEMs, despite a disappointing experience with the pair of Klipsch S4i which tend to work their way out of my ear (or else give me the itchies within 15min of wearing them), give an unsatisfying flat sound and sound stage.

I've seen some appealing reviews of the RE-400 and then I came across the Beyerdynamics iDX-120 (iEX to be precise) which also seems appealing (with more recent reviews). I've seen some remarks claiming them to be better than the RE-400, and also at least 1 review that mentions too much bass emphasis, but all reviews I've seen of these are based on their performance with a selection of pop music. If anyone has experience with both and can write a meaningful comparison I'd really appreciate it!

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 6
The problem with the RE-400 has been durability. Not sure if you read about the cable issues many people have had with their RE-400, but it has definitely been a problem fairly far and wide. Too bad because it does sound good. Something to consider. The two I like for you are the RHA MA750 (3-yr warranty) and the 1More Triple Driver. Both would be good with your music preferences. You might read about them and see what you think. Maybe one would work for you. I haven't heard the Beyer you reference--sorry.

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 6
No, I haven't read about the cable problems with the RE-400. In fact, one reason I've started asking around a bit is that most reviews (pro and user) are by now 2y old or more. A lot can change in that time.

I am not in the habit of wearing head or earphones outside, but it could well be that accidents will even more likely to arise in and around the house because you expect them less. So indeed, something to consider esp. if cables cannot be replaced easily. (That said, as long as they don't fail too close to the buds themselves I can always replace the whole thing using one of my signature unsightly solderings :D )

The RHA has a molded, semi-rigid part of the cables that goes over the ears, right? That seems like a part that could wear and break (as 1 user experienced on amazon.fr) but also that could be a hindrance when wearing spectacles (or even 2 pairs, correcting + sun "overshades").
I read about the 1More. It looks a bit big and thus not the most comfortable to wear but that may have been an older model. The one currently on Amazon (https://www.amazon.fr/Ecouteur-intra-auriculaire-couleur-résolution-transducteur/dp/B01KB9K9Z0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493366859&sr=8-1&keywords=1more) looks less bulky but is still over the budget I told myself to respect. Hmmm, maybe if I could get it without the mic and remote control? :)
I do also see a double-driver version (1Plus eo323) and a sports *earbud* (1Plus EB100) that looks like it'll stay in place but interfere with my glasses. I don't see their higher end earbud (E1008), only the 1Plus EO320; a quality bud could definitely be an alternative if they stay in place, don't leak too much and isolate enough to keep out the kind of news/talk programmes my wife listens to.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 6
I hear you. You know, two more that are less expensive but still terrific are the SoundMAGIC E10C and the Beyerdynamic Byron. Both are an excellent value and sound very good, exceeding their prices in performance considerably. You might check them out and see what you think. Could save you a bit of money.

Apr 29, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 6
Choices, choices, and I don't know of any place within 50km where I could actually try any of these.
After reading the remarks about the Byrons I think I'd be happier with the E10, if it weren't for the fact that all reviews and presentations underline the bass reproduction of that model. And always that thought in the back of my head that most users leaving reviews listen mostly to music I hardly listen to (on headphones).

A comparison of the E10 and my Klipsch S4i would be useful. Similar price range IIRC, and Klipsch like to present their products in a similar fashion.

Browsing did lead me to discover the INΛIRS AIR replacement tips which look promising. I could order a set of those for the S4i to see if that solves my comfort problem, order the E1008 earbuds and keep the S4i for when I need sound isolation if the earbuds please me. If they don't please, well, it should be easier to return earbuds than in-ears.

Edit: another useful and positive review of the E1008 on Amazon (the remarks about the mid range highlight exactly the kind of thing I'd look for too .... though of course some of the mentioned aspects depend on a proper treble reproduction :) )

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 6
Choices, choices,
and choices ...

You know, looking at my search history I don't understand why I ever seriously excluded the Focal Sphears, which I can have for 79€ (well, I guess I feared they'd be too big and uncomfortable but that's definitely not a recurring critique in the reviews)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back