Hifiman HE-5LE + Tubecube 7 pairing
Apr 29, 2017 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SavoryJam

New Head-Fier
I recently picked up a lightly used Hifiman HE-5LE ortho HP as an entry into the hobby and had since been on the hunt to assemble a decent and well-functioning rig with the HP. I had an AGD NFB-11 DAC+pre/amp on order and set to ship any moment now with only a standalone amp to be sourced to complete the chain. I have been eyeing the Tubecube 7, which as far as I know is a rebadged Miniwatt N3 vacuum tube amp that employs a 12AX7B tube for the pre-amp section, while leveraging a pair of EL84 tubes for the amp section.

Any fellow head-fier had experience with the above mentioned pairing can comment on synergy and sound quality? The particular of my questions revolve around the optimal connection to the speaker tabs either being 4, 6, or 8 ohms out? All these are impedance options from the speaker tabs of the Tubecube amp. Is an adapter necessary to resist the power output of the Tubecube 7's speaker tabs? Here are the hardware specs of the Tubecube 7:

• Tube: Shuguang EL84 2pcs, 12AX7B 1pc
  • Power Output: 3.5W+3.5W @ 8 ohms
  • Frequency Response: 30-40Khz (+-1db)
  • Input Sensitivity: 500mV
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: -80dB / 3.5W
  • Residual Noise < 1mVac
  • Input AC Voltage: 100-250Vac
  • Power Consumption: 38W
  • Input Impedance: 50K ohms
  • Output Impedance: 8/6/4 ohms (Japan Z11-EI48*24 Output Transformers)
  • Dimensions: 130mm (w) x 130mm (d) x 130mm (h)
  • Weight: 2.6KG
  • Input: RCA Jacks
  • Output: Banana Jacks
  • AC: Standard IEC Jack with Fuse protection (2A Fuse)

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Any recommendation on vacuum tubes to enhance the listening experience of this setup? Obviously, this entails a certain level of personal taste and preference, but I'm fine with it at this stage of the game as inevitably it would involve some level of trials and errors to get to where I want to be as far as tube amps go.

i greatly appreciate any insight!

-SJ

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 5
I recently picked up a lightly used Hifiman HE-5LE ortho HP as an entry into the hobby and had since been on the hunt to assemble a decent and well-functioning rig with the HP. I had an AGD NFB-11 DAC+pre/amp on order and set to ship any moment now with only a standalone amp to be sourced to complete the chain. I have been eyeing the Tubecube 7, which as far as I know is a rebadged Miniwatt N3 vacuum tube amp that employs a 12AX7B tube for the pre-amp section, while leveraging a pair of EL84 tubes for the amp section.

Why not just try the HE-5LE on the NFB-11 first?

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 5
THANKS--that's a definite try to be sure, although my understanding from research of both the HE-5LE and NFB-11 are that they both exhibit a balanced and neutral sonic signature and I wanted to incorporate some warmth and color to it with tube acoustics. Secondly, the 5LE being an ortho thrives and rewards commensurately when driven with more horsepower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back