Help recommend a new iem
Jul 25, 2017 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wildwood88

Head-Fier
i've been using audio technica ckr9 for two years but lost it during a vacation trip. I am not sure should I just go with ckr10 or other iem. Considering iem under 150

Rha ma750 ( what's the different between 750 and 750i?)
Vsonic gr07/ gr07 bass edition

Anyone can recommend other iem fit my budget? I listen almost everything, but most of the time just pop rock music. Thanks!

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 17
i've been using audio technica ckr9 for two years but lost it during a vacation trip. I am not sure should I just go with ckr10 or other iem. Considering iem under 150

Rha ma750 ( what's the different between 750 and 750i?)
Vsonic gr07/ gr07 bass edition

Anyone can recommend other iem fit my budget? I listen almost everything, but most of the time just pop rock music. Thanks!

Difference between 750 and 750i is that the "i" version has a mic and controls for the use with smartphone.

You could find a lot of info in this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/b...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

There are some IEMs listed per price, with some general comments and/or links to depth reviews.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 17
As noted in a previous post, the "i" version has a microphone while the other doesn't. However, something worth noting is that it only works with iPhone, so if you have an Android phone much of the in-line control functionality won't work without an adapter.

On the topic of recommendations, I would definitely go for the MA750s (your pick if whether or not to get a mic, I'd personally skip it to save a little cash since I use a smartwatch and don't need in-line controls and don't care enough for a mic, but that's me, you're your own case). They sound amazing for their price. Bass is moderately loud, nice and punchy, but not overbearing and doesn't bleed into or cloud the mids or highs. Mids are crisp and clear, though ever so slightly recessed. Highs are creamy and forward a bit (though slightly sibilant on occasion, but that usually happens due to how the track is mastered). Overall they have a sort of more well rounded v-shape sound. They work wonders for rock, pop, EDM, jazz, R&B; throw basically anything at them and they sound amazing (they're some of the most versatile IEMs I have ever used).

Additionally, they handle EQ very well, so feel free to alter the sound slightly with EQ if you don't like them right away. Something also worth keeping in mind is that the MA750s have a pretty significant burn-in time (from my experience). While they sounded great out if the box (to me) they didn't sound their best until nearly a month later (a month of normal use, not consecutive playback time. I'd estimate the consecutive runtime necessary for burn-in at around 60-75 hours total).

Another thing to keep in mind is that they aren't the most comfortable out of the box; the included silicone tips suck and the over-ear style can take a little getting used to. IMO though long term the over-ear style is much more comfortable when you get used to it and decreases microphonics (the sound you hear that the cable makes when it's moving around or hits something) to near non-existent. On the topic of eartips though; get comply tips (I used the new comply sport tips on mine. I believe they actually come with a pair of comply comfort tips nowadays), they improve fit, comfort, isolation, and overall sound quality immensely and are definitely worth the recurring $20 every few months.

Another good thing to know is that RHA's support is amazing; if anything happens to your pair and it's still covered under warranty then RHA will be almost guaranteed to have a solution, going so far as to just send a new pair at no cost if something is damaged (depending on what it is).

Overall, though, the RHA MA750s are amazing. I personally just upgraded away from them and didn't find a significant increase in quality until I started spending over $300, more than twice the cost if a pair of MA750s. IMO the MA750s outperform every other IEM in their class and even outperform many IEMs above them.

Also, sorry if I sound like I'm fanboying (tbh I kinda am). I really do believe this is an amazing option though, so that's my two cents on the topic.
:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 17
As a follow-up to my previous post, you should also take a look at Etymotic's IEM lineup (HF series specifically). If you want a more analytical, reference sound then IMO Etymotic's are the way to go from my experience, though this should be taken with a grain of salt as I didn't own a pair long-term (I had a pair for a week and loved the quality but stopped using them after a week because I personally don't like a reference sound signature for recreational/day-to-day use).

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 17
On the topic of recommendations, I would definitely go for the MA750s (your pick if whether or not to get a mic, I'd personally skip it to save a little cash since I use a smartwatch and don't need in-line controls and don't care enough for a mic, but that's me, you're your own case). They sound amazing for their price. Bass is loud and punchy, but not overbearing and doesn't bleed into or cloud the mids or highs. Mids are crisp and clear, though ever so slightly recessed. Highs are creamy and forward a bit (though slightly sibilant on occasion, but that usually happens due to how the track is mastered). Overall they have a sort of more well rounded v-shape sound. They work wonders for rock, pop, EDM, jazz, R&B; throw basically anything at them and they sound amazing (they're some of the most versatile IEMs I have ever used).

Very interested to those IEMs! They seems wonderful... I've read something equally wonderful about the PMV A-01 K2! You know them for a little comparison?

thank you

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 17
Very interested to those IEMs! They seems wonderful... I've read something equally wonderful about the PMV A-01 MK2! You know them for a little comparison?

thank you
I personally don't, though there may be some other reviews out there that compare the two.
Personally I would go with the RHAs between the RHAs and the PMVs since I see more reliable reviews and they're from a very trustworthy manufacturer, but that's just me. I don't care really if someone gets RHAs, PMVs, or VSonics or whatever they end up buying as long as it makes them happy. As long as you go with what you think will work best for you and enjoy them, who am I to judge.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 17
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 17
As noted in a previous post, the "i" version has a microphone while the other doesn't. However, something worth noting is that it only works with iPhone, so if you have an Android phone much of the in-line control functionality won't work without an adapter.

On the topic of recommendations, I would definitely go for the MA750s (your pick if whether or not to get a mic, I'd personally skip it to save a little cash since I use a smartwatch and don't need in-line controls and don't care enough for a mic, but that's me, you're your own case). They sound amazing for their price. Bass is moderately loud, nice and punchy, but not overbearing and doesn't bleed into or cloud the mids or highs. Mids are crisp and clear, though ever so slightly recessed. Highs are creamy and forward a bit (though slightly sibilant on occasion, but that usually happens due to how the track is mastered). Overall they have a sort of more well rounded v-shape sound. They work wonders for rock, pop, EDM, jazz, R&B; throw basically anything at them and they sound amazing (they're some of the most versatile IEMs I have ever used).

Additionally, they handle EQ very well, so feel free to alter the sound slightly with EQ if you don't like them right away. Something also worth keeping in mind is that the MA750s have a pretty significant burn-in time (from my experience). While they sounded great out if the box (to me) they didn't sound their best until nearly a month later (a month of normal use, not consecutive playback time. I'd estimate the consecutive runtime necessary for burn-in at around 60-75 hours total).

Another thing to keep in mind is that they aren't the most comfortable out of the box; the included silicone tips suck and the over-ear style can take a little getting used to. IMO though long term the over-ear style is much more comfortable when you get used to it and decreases microphonics (the sound you hear that the cable makes when it's moving around or hits something) to near non-existent. On the topic of eartips though; get comply tips (I used the new comply sport tips on mine. I believe they actually come with a pair of comply comfort tips nowadays), they improve fit, comfort, isolation, and overall sound quality immensely and are definitely worth the recurring $20 every few months.

Another good thing to know is that RHA's support is amazing; if anything happens to your pair and it's still covered under warranty then RHA will be almost guaranteed to have a solution, going so far as to just send a new pair at no cost if something is damaged (depending on what it is).

Overall, though, the RHA MA750s are amazing. I personally just upgraded away from them and didn't find a significant increase in quality until I started spending over $300, more than twice the cost if a pair of MA750s. IMO the MA750s outperform every other IEM in their class and even outperform many IEMs above them.

Also, sorry if I sound like I'm fanboying (tbh I kinda am). I really do believe this is an amazing option though, so that's my two cents on the topic.
Hahahha sounds really enthusiasm when you said about ma750. I will definitely go and try ma750, in my country they only selling ma750i, so I need to know if they have any sound difference. If the 'i' version just add up the line control but not changing the charasteristic of the sound then I am fine with it.

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 17

Went to retail shop and try ma750, I like mostly all of the sound, but the bass is not the bass I am looking for... still thinking

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #14 of 17
I try my best to describe how I feel... when listen to rock metal music the bass not "deep" enough. But I do like the warm sound when listening to country music.
Yeah, that was the one problem I had with the bass of the MA750s. I am assuming by "deep" you mean low on sub-bass, which the MA750s are. The MA750's strong points are tightness, and the mid-bass and upper bass quality/levels, which the MA750s sacrifice sub-bass to get. Personally I like that but there are lots of people who probably disagree (lots of sub-bass is sometimes uncomfortable for me, the feeling of pressure generated in my ear is unpleasant, but that's just me).
Please correct me if I'm wrong :wink:

If I'm right, the perfect IEM for you (and I mean PERFECT) would be Sennheiser IE80s (these things have amazing sub-bass without damaging the rest of the sound if you turn up the bass dial). Unfortunately that is a huge jump up in price, but it is definitely a good IEM to aspire and plan to get in the future.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 17
Yeah, that was the one problem I had with the bass of the MA750s. I am assuming by "deep" you mean low on sub-bass, which the MA750s are. The MA750's strong points are tightness, and the mid-bass and upper bass quality/levels, which the MA750s sacrifice sub-bass to get. Personally I like that but there are lots of people who probably disagree (lots of sub-bass is sometimes uncomfortable for me, the feeling of pressure generated in my ear is unpleasant, but that's just me).
Please correct me if I'm wrong :wink:

If I'm right, the perfect IEM for you (and I mean PERFECT) would be Sennheiser IE80s (these things have amazing sub-bass without damaging the rest of the sound if you turn up the bass dial). Unfortunately that is a huge jump up in price, but it is definitely a good IEM to aspire and plan to get in the future.
Ie80? I read some of the review, and they stated ie80 don't have the bass, it's good for classical music though, symphony etc. I might need to try, thanks for the recommendation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back