Headroom 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2017 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Takeanidea

Headphoneus Supremus
Headroom 2017 was everything I hoped it could be. Metropolis Studios provided a truly iconic setting that was jaw dropping around every corner. Big enough to matter but intimate enough to create a family atmosphere in every room. Smiles were the order of the day and a glorious Spring Day it was.   
Many a bucket list was dented over this weekend thanks to Sennheiser and their exclusive 15 minute sessions with the Orpheus successor , the HE1.  I won't elaborate on the secrets this mystical system has in store for you, just remember that 15 minutes goes very quickly so choose your music fast and choose wisely

Was Headroom simply a showcase for Sennheiser and their 50K signature piece? A very resounding no from your headfier and audioprimate at large.
HiFiMan know a thing or 2 about Electrostars. Their Shangri-la system was conspicuous beauty in every curve. I also had the indescribable opportunity of 10 precious minutes with this build statement to the audio World. Indescribable because you must hear it. However you do it, do it soon. 

Prism Audio unveiled their first consumer Dacamp with the Audeze X. They played The Great Gig in the Sky to me; fitting as it was remastered right here in these Studios.

Mr Speakers, courtesy of the legendary Mark Dolbear of Electromod had some incredible products on audition. I got 15 minutes with a Mr  Speakers Electrostat a King Sound Amp and some gear that was really good Schitt. I'm not telling you what it was like (I was transfixed and rooted to the spot) go see the man as soon as you can. 

2 of my heroes Phil Wannell and Mr oBravo David Teng were next door to Mark Dolbear. Phil graciously introduced us and Mr Teng and I spent an unforgettable 30 minutes listening to his range of hybrid planar /dynamic and air motion IEMs. This was a chance for me to hear what can be done with a small shell and no budgetary limit. I listened to the most expensive in ears in the World and some due to eclipse even that very soon. 
My journey took me to Dragons Den Snugs empresario Paul Jobin who has come on leaps and bounds with his earsleeves, with ACS who have changed their range to some gorgeous consumer friendly looks.  

I listened to a binaural suite being replayed on DSD through yet more Electrostats, this time the SR009s from Stax. And the person pressing the buttons? The producer himself Mike  Valentine....Where else could this happen?

Talking of new technology, AKG showpieced a self calibrating full size amplified headphone, the N90Z. Winner of a European Audio Award this took 10 seconds to took a recording of your inner ear a d then adjusted it's responses to tailor to the unique landscape of your very own lugholes.
My good friend from SVC distribution Matt Esau had something even more intriguing in store. A successful crowdfunder has made it onto Matt's stable of Meze Fostex & Qestyle. Enter Even Headphones into a hotly contested full size marketplace. These had a Dacamp built into their cable. It took 8 frequency measures for   each ear and dished out a precisely matched soundstage based on your ears response. The results were a fitting finale to a very special day indeed. 
So we all wend our way to our distant parts of this great Country we are lucky enough to live in. And with a parting salute to you Phil Wannell for putting yourself though hell this weekend. I can assure you it was worth every notch you had to use of your belt that held up your trousers

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 2
My visit to headroom on Friday was my first show and first opportunity to listen to a selection of higher end gear. Had an excellent day, unfortunately fatigue set in before i was able to listen to everything I had hoped to.

Spending some time with David and Phil at the oBravo stand was also one of my highlights and extremely enjoyable. Those oBravos certainly are stunning. EAMT-2A being my favourite.

Additionally spent quite a bit of time with Gisele Flower listening to the range of Noble iems. Very impressed with then Sage and Kaiser Encore.

Managed to get a slot on the HE1 and Shangri-la. Definitely an experience not to be missed if the chance arises.

Took a couple if visits to hifiman to get the Shangri-la listen. Listened to Hifiman's range on the first vist and I enjoyed the Edition X so much on the first visit that I headed straight over to it on my second for another listen, which confirmed my initial thoughts of how good it is.

Managed a listen to the Focal Utopia, it is certainly worthy of the praise that it is getting.

Kicking myself for not finding time to hear MrSpeakers and Stax, but otherwise a wonderful day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back