Headphones for laying down in bed ($80 - $400/$500 price range)
Mar 12, 2016 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NilsOlav

Head-Fier
Whats some good over-ear headphones for laying down in bed? Being able to wear them while lying down with my head on a pillow is the most important thing I'm looking for. The insides of my ears aren't symmetrical, so in-ear headphones are often uncomfortable to me.

Looking to get a really good pair, so anything from $80 up to maybe $400, $500 max is my price range. I plan to use this for just playing games on my 3DS and for playing games on a tablet (when I get a tablet). For me, having good bass is pretty important. Comfortable ear cushions are a plus too. Noise cancellation isn't really necessary. Otherwise, I'm all ears to your suggestions.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 11
maybe Bedphones?

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 11
  maybe Bedphones?

Hmm, I could definitely go for something a bit bigger than that. Bass is important. What about something that covers the ears completely, but is more medium sized compared to most ear-covering headphones?

EDIT: I found an old thread on a similar topic and someone recommended Sennheiser HD 558, what do you guys think of those? I just want to be able to lay on my back with my head on my pillow. Also, I would really like something with a 90 degree 3.5mm jack, that would be most comfortable with the 3DS. Is there a 90 degree 3.5mm jack adapter for the Sennheiser HD 558?

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 11
Might take a look at the basshead thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club
I have no idea about these but maybe the V-Modas or Audio Technicas on there? at least in terms of driving from tablet or 3ds, might work?

If you get something that can fit the Brainwavz HM5 Hybrid replacement pads that might be good- just got a pair , super comfortable.

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 11
  Might take a look at the basshead thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club
I have no idea about these but maybe the V-Modas or Audio Technicas on there? at least in terms of driving from tablet or 3ds, might work?

If you get something that can fit the Brainwavz HM5 Hybrid replacement pads that might be good- just got a pair for my headphones, super comfortable.

Thanks man, looking through that thread. V-MODA Crossfade M-100 looks good. What I mostly want to avoid is laying down, and then feeling the headphones be pushed upward off my ears as my head sinks into the pillow, know what I mean? I used to have a giant gaming headset and I remember that happening when I tried to use it laying down with my mp3 player.

My guess is that headphones where the ear/speaker pieces are more oval shaped rather than perfect circles would be less likely to be pushed up off my ears by the pillow, as well as headphones that hug the head tightly (I read the Crossfade M-100 are tight on the head but comfortable). thoughts on this particular headset, or anything else to recommend to resist being pushed around by a pillow?

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 11
Seems like a sound theory. Don't think I've heard them (someone said you can try them in some Apple stores IIRC)

I mostly use earbuds (not inears/iems) in bed, there are some with ok bass though probably not probably not bass heavy levels you are looking for even if you can use them.

Maybe try a firmer pillow too, like one of those ergonomic foam/wedge-shaped things.

If that doesn't work, probably not as much bass, but on-ears with good cushioning might do better? V-moda also make on-ear versions of all their full-sizes I think.

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 11

Thanks man, looking through that thread. V-MODA Crossfade M-100 looks good. What I mostly want to avoid is laying down, and then feeling the headphones be pushed upward off my ears as my head sinks into the pillow, know what I mean? I used to have a giant gaming headset and I remember that happening when I tried to use it laying down with my mp3 player.

My guess is that headphones where the ear/speaker pieces are more oval shaped rather than perfect circles would be less likely to be pushed up off my ears by the pillow, as well as headphones that hug the head tightly (I read the Crossfade M-100 are tight on the head but comfortable). thoughts on this particular headset, or anything else to recommend to resist being pushed around by a pillow?

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, I've been wearing headphones in bed for years.

At some point, I realized I needed headphones with smaller than average earcups which
would not contact the pillow.

I'll spare you the experimentation process, and will recommend the following:

Sennheiser HD 25 I ii
Sennheiser Amperior (very similar to above)
Almost any Grado
Beyerdynamic T51i or T51p (essentially identical)
Sennheiser HD 239
Sennheiser PX 100 II
Koss PortaPro

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 11
Those bedphones look interesting, I may have to look into a pair.

I use the full size Sennheiser Momentums for night time use - I keep them permanently on my bedside table. They are a good fit for bed headphones - first and foremost they sound very good indeed (I'd pick them over the HD25s) and they are comfortable (soft pads, light) and well built. No ear cup rotation though, unlike some of the other 'pro' phones. I've fallen asleep with them many times (of course you don't actually want to spend the entire night with any headphones on because of the wires, etc.)

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 11
I narrowed it down to the Sennheiser Momentum or V-MODA Crossfade M-100. Very tough decision. I like the Momentum because InnerFidelity's review describes it as audiophile grade, even good for music production (I don't make any music yet, but plan on getting into it), while I do like the idea of the Crossfade M-100 having extra bass (this in particular will make the music in 3DS games sound a lot better IMO). Of these two, which has smaller width earcups? I would guess that would be the Momentum, but anyone else know their specific measurements?

I suppose if the V-MODA is bigger and doesn't work with my pillow, I could just get an inclined pillow as Raketen suggested...hmm, I may be going with the Crossfade M-100 actually. So I think I will be going with these, still open to other suggestions (with bass being very important)

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm lying in bed with my newly arrived Superlux HD681 EVOs and a particularly nasty head cold, so have the volume turned down.  They're quite nice, and sound good, though I'm not sure how they sound in comparison to the two you've picked out.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 11
V-Moda XS are amazing for lying down, I've discovered over the past week. Incredibly comfortable, lightweight and perfectly sized so they don't get interfered with by the pillow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back