Headphone buzzing noise with Strix sound card
Apr 9, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 26
Agree with returning the card and getting a replacement. Just from reading the thread my thoughts are:

1) It may just be that this card has a higher noise-floor than whatever it replaced ("but it cost more!" - yep, so what?) coupled with higher gain, so that's what you get.

2) I honestly doubt the graphics card is at fault - coil noise is mechanical, not electrical. It's part of the same phenomena (magnetostriction) that allow this kind of thing to work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c52JQHVVqFM

3) Things aren't behaving as you expect/deserve for a brand new product - don't bother troubleshooting, return it, get a replacement or your money back. Personally I'm very unimpressed by the STRIX series, as they're just USB HDAs on a PCIe board with a bridge in-between. Now, the analog circuitry should be fine (and its plausible yours is just defective), but personally I'd rather have a PCI/PCIe based implementation if I'm giving up an expansion slot. You can get CM6632 based external boxes for less money too (even from Asus, like the U7). Also note: there's no point in having hardware-acceleration for this these days, its been deprecated for over a decade at this point, so a nice HDA/codec is more than sufficient. What you're ultimately paying for (apart from the hardware) is the driver package, and if all you're after is some sort of headphone simulacra, look at Razer Surround Pro, which is more or less hardware/device agnostic. :)

3A) If you go for replacement, and the replacement exhibits the same behavior, I'd be inclined to believe the problem is just the STRIX having a higher noise floor and not a single defective board. Especially if other soundcards installed in your system don't exhibit that problem (e.g. the D2 you mentioned).

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #19 of 26
I'm gonna return the card and look for other brand like...Creative perhaps?
Thank you guys for answering me!

What do you have built-in on the computer?

Honestly the legitimate need for a soundcard as an add-in board died some years ago, so unless the computer's built-in audio is problematic in some way, I wouldn't go out and buy an AIB, and even then, spending hundreds just isn't worth it imho.

Creative has a long and storied history that is not always "great" for consumers, especially depending on what model of card you're interested in. IME the SoundCore-based cards have been a big improvement over X-Fi (especially in terms of drivers), but I would also add they're still a ways off what Realtek and C-Media have been able to provide (for built-in solutions) for the last few years too in terms of stability and "it just works"-ness. :xf_eek:

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #20 of 26
Ok,right now i really don't know what shall i do next... 
Surround sound capabilities are in the first place to me,but i also like to listen my music with great quality sound source despite the fact that i am not an audiophile.
My motherboard has Realtek 1150 audio chip ''disguise'' into Supreme FX ''goodies''.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #21 of 26
Ok,right now i really don't know what shall i do next... 
Surround sound capabilities are in the first place to me,but i also like to listen my music with great quality sound source despite the fact that i am not an audiophile.
My motherboard has Realtek 1150 audio chip ''disguise'' into Supreme FX ''goodies''.

Have you tried plugging whatever you use to listen to music on into that? Does it function?

The surround simulacra you want is merely a software package - you can add that to any audio interface you like with either Razer Surround or Creative SBX MB.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 26
Yes,i plug my Microlab M1910 and HyperX  Cloud into Realtek chip and it sounds ok-ish on Microlab,but headphones sound very poor compared to Strix and there is no surround virtualization in the onboard audio control panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back