HE-5LE Dead Again.. Finally time to upgrade?
Jul 20, 2017 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zack W

New Head-Fier
Title says it. I think the is the 3rd set I've had die since I got my first pair here, used. Yeah, I got those, they lasted a few years and a driver went out one day. I got them refurbished, that set lasted about 9 months and they refurbished them again for free, less shipping, go Hi-Fi Man! But now this set is dead after a few more years. Gotta do it all again.

I love my 5-LE! I like my sound energetic with good extension in both directions. I like a nice, wide open sound stage. Neutral is good, obviously, or I wouldn't be here, but I still much rather err on the side of more punch and more energy on both ends than totally flat. The ONLY flaw I find with the 5-LE's sound is the vocals are bit recessed. Not horribly, but there it is and I'm not the only one to mention it. They could have a slightly, slightly, sweeter tone, like a Grado, but that's just nitpicking.

If I upgrade, it would probably be to the HE560, unless I jump all the way to the Edition X. From what I've read most places, both of the new models ought to just be better in every way. But others have hinted the 560 is a little more laid back. If that's true, there's no guarantee I'll hands down like them better. On the other hand, they're on a crazy sale right now! I don't think I'd buy them at full price though.

The Edition X from what I've read, might be a little punchier. More like a true successor to the 5-LE. In addition to theoretically being, I guess, more better in every way than the 560? If this is true, I should maybe bite the bullet and go for it. Or at least wait for a sale!

I listen to all kinds of music, but prefer Electronic, Metal and other rock. Basically, anything with some energy that makes me want to move around. I want a headphone that gets me. The 5-LE does. They just keep dieing.

Also, if it's not in my signature these days, I'm still running everything out of an Audio GD NFB-10se. I don't feel any need to change or upgrade it, it's very nice.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 5
I think the HE-560 might fill the bill for you. I owned and enjoyed the HE-5LE for a good while. The HE-500 disappointed me, but for my ears the 560 seems to bring together the best of both the 5LE and 500.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for your input. It's good to hear a 5-LE owner giving props to the HE560. I've been reading reviews and watching lots of commentary an YouTube.. People's opinions are all over the place. I think it comes down to people's expectations given the price, their own ears, their own preferences.. And when you really get to it, comparing high end equipment, all the gear you try is doing its best to reproduce the same signal faithfully. If there's huge variance between products, then most of them are doing it wrong and they're not. So...

Anyway, I finally pulled the trigger! Deep down, I know the instant the sale ends, I'd kick myself if I didn't get them.

Still waiting on a response from customer support to get the ball rolling sending out my dead 5-LE.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Like the HE-5LE, the HE-560 benefits from use with a power amp. I am running the HE-560 balanced, direct from the speaker outputs of the Linn Intek integrated (50 wpc) with the volume at about 20%. While not as power hungry as the HE-5LE, the HE-560 definitely sound more dynamic and in command, with better separation, detail and air.

Update:
In retrospect, the HE-560 sounded too "tightly wound up" when hooked up to the speaker outputs to the Linn.

After a few rounds of amp-swapping, the HE-560--to my ears--positively benefit from tubes somewhere up the line. Tubes fill in the HifiMan's tendency to be lean, tonally, and warms the sonic space in a good way. At the moment, the (Fitz-improved) Bada PH-12 hybrid (w/1x Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB, 2x Russian Mil-Spec 6H8C and Toshiba MosFets) is the best match I have had so far today.

Will retry the all tube SinglePower MPX3 later.

Again, to my ears, the HE-560 get right for me what the HE-500 could not, given the fact that I was formerly a happy HE-5LE owner.

. . . with one caveat . . . tubes required (for me)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 5
I had the same experience (dying and rebuying) with the ATH-AD700. I bought about 4-5 pairs over a decade. I'd strongly recommend breaking the cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back