HD 800 or HD 800s
Dec 18, 2016 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ultrasonefan

Head-Fier
Hello, im the Proud owner of a HD 800 now, and I absolutely love it, my T1s do not even come close to it.
The resolution and Soundstage is on a totally different level. I love the Extremely clear highs and the effortless Bass, i even had to shed tears after first listening to them! Sennheiser now sent me an Offer for the HD800S for 1,1k. And I am extremely tempted to purchase them and sell my HD 800.

Sidenote: I love the treble centric sound of the HD 800 on some songs and the amazing micro detail, they make some instruments sound truly magical! I haven't heard them for long, but myfirst impressions were pretty amazing, the Treble gets hot on some certain songs i listen to, especially some well mastered edm ( edm sounds better than ever before!).

Would it be a good Idea to purchase the HD 800S ?
I tested both side to side Briefly in a Super Noisy environment, and prefered the older brother. But People told me that it takes time to appreciate the HD 800S.

I mostly listen to: Experimental Edm, edm, Jazz, Folk, Acoustic, and classical music.

Amp: Beyerdynamic a 20 ( future upgrade would be a tube amp) but the sound signature and Detail retrieval is perfect with this combination.

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 4
If HD 800 work for you, stick with it!

I currently own HD 800S, and used to own HD 800. (Had to sell the old to get the new)

They are different headphones. I do not consider S an upgrade.

I can't decide which one is better. 800 was thrilling and exhausting to listen to, while 800S is defusing and good for long sessions.

If you are a tube amp lover, you can't go wrong with either of these headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 4
I'd have to agree with Priscilla on this one. When I listened to the HD 800S it seemed to me that the distortion of bass bled into the mids, which took away the great clarity and airiness of the HD 800.

However, for some reason I find the HD 800S to be more comfortable than the HD 800.

May 1, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 4
Stay with the HD800, but consider the superdupont mod. It's the best of both worlds. :) You'll get the same sound as HD800S, but without the bass distortion. You can always undo the mod and if it's the treble, detail, soundstage and clarity you like, then the HD800S might be a "downgrade" (as it removes the 6KHz peak and adds some more bass).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back