Guide: Properly Setting Up Tidal for Best Sound Quality when using a USB DAC
Feb 12, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #31 of 56
Agreed, I suspect the weak link is my HP laptop which cost about £300 2 years ago..
May I ask what laptops you guys are using/would recommend to get the most out of my Sennheiser gear?

I'm using a desktop PC that I built. Unfortunately my windows tablet just crapped out on me a week ago. The PC that you use should not matter unless you are running into ground loop issues. Considering that your DAC/Amp seems to behave when you choose WDM, I doubt ground loop is your issue.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #32 of 56
There is an issue with Tidal`s exclusive mode. You need to be able to set your DAC to 16/44.1 in Windows soundcard settings for the DAC. Use any other values than that, and Tidal will show a bar, which asks you to adjust the settings to 16/44.1. That makes it useless for many DAC`s. Tidal needs to fix this.

May 7, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #34 of 56
I downloaded the latest update and I've selected my DAC as my output and checked the two boxes of exclusive mode and force volume. So now Tidal is running through wasapi? I don't quite understand this to be honest. So wasapi is now built in to Tidal and when I use exclusive mode I utilize it? 

May 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #35 of 56
  I downloaded the latest update and I've selected my DAC as my output and checked the two boxes of exclusive mode and force volume. So now Tidal is running through wasapi? I don't quite understand this to be honest. So wasapi is now built in to Tidal and when I use exclusive mode I utilize it? 

Yep, you pretty much nailed it. This will enable wasapi natively in Tidal. For those of you who find that wasapi does not work in Tidal, you will want to follow the instructions outlined in the opening post.

May 9, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #36 of 56
  Yep, you pretty much nailed it. This will enable wasapi natively in Tidal. For those of you who find that wasapi does not work in Tidal, you will want to follow the instructions outlined in the opening post.

Alright, thanks.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #37 of 56
Just wanted to throw my input in as I try this out.  

I've been using Spotify for about 3 years now, always been slightly annoyed at the fact that they will never go to FLAC streaming despite countless forum pages of users asking them to do it.  I finally signed up for the Tidal free trial this morning and I am testing it out.  I have a pair of Denon AHD-600 headphones and a SB X-Fi Titanium sound card in my PC.  I installed JRiver this morning and got it all set up.  Have Spotify and Tidal open testing the difference in SQ with ASIO enabled on the Tidal App.  Are there any recommendations for some types of music where I will *really* be able to hear a difference?  I am listening to some newer albums, mostly hip hop, I like really bassy music like hip hop and metal with a lot of double bass and heavy breakdowns, as well as EDM -- typically some of the metal bands are **** quality recordings compared to well known hip hop artists obviously, but I digress.  With the music I am listening to, I really don't hear a whole LOT of difference, personally.  I'm trying to judge if Tidal is worth the extra $10 a month.  I also have a new Schiit Asgard 2 on the way to throw into the mix to see if that will also make any significant difference with my setup.  I know my headphones aren't Audeze level, but I consider them to be pretty good out of a large number of $200-$400 headphones I've used over the years especially with the type of music I enjoy.

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #38 of 56
really appreciate all the intel; tried pretty much all of it tonight. Hadnt realized the  desktop app sounded better than listening through Chrome-but I think it does. I have an iFi micro idsd and the "green" light is slightly lower resolution than the "yellow" light and when I drive the Tidal desktop output through the DAC directly (with both boxes checked) I  nevertheless get the "green"  light connoting lower resolution than through windows sound settings-which I have configured at 32 bit, 192000 Hz (the max "studio quality" setting) and regularly get the "yellow light" indicating DSD is playing through my DAC. thoughts on this? seeing the green light says to me that the DAC is not performing to the potential it has-even though I dont actually hear the drop off in sonics to tell the truth...

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #39 of 56
This was awesome!!! :) thanks

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #40 of 56
So I have a question for you guys, is it possible to set this up in an equivalent way on and Android phone? I bought an Oppo HA-2, so if I get the HIFI subscription from tidal, will I need to take additional steps to get the same sound on my phone, is that even possible??? 

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #41 of 56
So I have a question for you guys, is it possible to set this up in an equivalent way on and Android phone? I bought an Oppo HA-2, so if I get the HIFI subscription from tidal, will I need to take additional steps to get the same sound on my phone, is that even possible??? 

Ok so if you want bit perfect playback on Android, you need to download an app called USB Audio Player Pro. There is a settings section in the app that lets you select bit perfect. This app and setting will prevent Android OS and the app itself from influencing the sound of your DAC. Tidal is integrated into this app. Be sure to select the appropriate streaming quality, too.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #42 of 56
Ok so if you want bit perfect playback on Android, you need to download an app called USB Audio Player Pro. There is a settings section in the app that lets you select bit perfect. This app and setting will prevent Android OS and the app itself from influencing the sound of your DAC. Tidal is integrated into this app. Be sure to select the appropriate streaming quality, too.

Awesome! Thank you so much, but if I understand the app correctly this will not play tidal as it is not a general driver. So at the moment it's not possible to achieve Tidal's 16Bit/44.1khz on your phone?

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #43 of 56
Awesome! Thank you so much, but if I understand the app correctly this will not play tidal as it is not a general driver. So at the moment it's not possible to achieve Tidal's 16Bit/44.1khz on your phone?

This app has Tidal integrated into it. You don't launch Tidal, there is a drop down box where you select your library and Tidal is an option. It connects to Tidal servers and you can search for songs, pull up your playlists, etc. The UI is not great but it works. If there is something else you are getting at that I'm missing, please clarify for me.

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #44 of 56
God
This app has Tidal integrated into it. You don't launch Tidal, there is a drop down box where you select your library and Tidal is an option. It connects to Tidal servers and you can search for songs, pull up your playlists, etc. The UI is not great but it works. If there is something else you are getting at that I'm missing, please clarify for me.

A God amongst men! Hahahaha, I guess read that incorrectly thank for clarifying, and thank you for your post. :) I'm downloading now.

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #45 of 56

If you know anything about the Gizmo app that works with Jriver, do you know if this app would be of benefit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back