Flac ripping for portable players
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moby1974

100+ Head-Fier
Hi
So Flac ripping on PC does not really cause any issue power or CPU wise, so you can do it at -8 and save space.

But is this the same for portable players, if you compress more, you save space, but you add work to its cpu which draws power, and seeing as players have limited power, is it worthwhile to rip at say -5 or even less, making less work for the cpu, or is the difference in power draw very small?

thanks

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Compression setting makes almost no difference to players - the effort is all on the encode side. A higher encode level means that much more effort is spent to remove redundancy in the encode and to improve compression. The decode algorithm is the same regardless.

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 5
I would start using -8 from now on.

However the filesize difference between -5 and -8 is very small. A few megabytes for a full album.
So the gain is very small, it's probably not worth your time reencoding your current -5 files.
But then again, if it makes you feel better, there are no disadvantages.

Btw. Don't try this with other lossless formats, where better encoding means slower decoding. Flac is one of the only formats where decoding speed stays the same even at -8.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 5
I see.

Well I did stick to -5, maybe change in future is space is a issue.

Only thing that got me thinking was extra power draw on portable player to decode higher compression files, would it drain battery, just wanted longest life possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back