Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Mar 28, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #721 of 1,441
Few choices on NOS 12AU7, looking at preference on few that have good bass and overall clarity in the 8200.
RCA grey & black & top side getters, Sylvania black & grey, Raytheon black & grey, tungsol black & clear, Tungsten, Amprex non bugle boy, Brimar and Mullard.

In the new made version there is Northern electric as well.

Other suggestions are welcome as well.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #722 of 1,441
Well, there are actually quite a few NOS options you could try, including many of the variants of the 12au7 as well.

I personally tend to prefer some of the variants myself, such as 5814 military types (CBS black plate and Westinghouse are some of my favorites).  The Mullards tend to be a bit thin in the low end and not as extended up top in my opinion, but I've had really good luck with the Brimar 13 series, such as the 13D5, which always gave me a little more weight down low.  Amperex, orange/green globes or Bugle Boys, are also quite nice and many really like them.  The Telefunken are also highly regarded by many, which to me are crystal clear up top, but a bit thin in the mid-range and low end for my general liking and can go for quite a bit of money nowadays.

Below is a list of some of the 12au7 variants you may want to research:

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12au7.html

As far as cheap and easy to find options, RCA "clear tops" 12au7s are fairly easy to find and can be found very cheap if you search (I purchased several pairs for about $5 per pair).  They aren't the best 12au7 by far, but good for the money and while you try other pairs, etc.

For the top end of this tube type, I really like the Amperex 7316s, but they are not cheap.  Also, if you are considering going with new production, the Psvane Mark II 12au7s are considered to be very good by many as well, but they are also not cheap (I have not tried them though).  The Tesla and Telefunken ECC802S are also quite nice and very clear/detailed.  I could keep going and going, but all of these are $100 pair or more usually.

Check with @Dimu (fellow owner from this forum) if you are considering other non-12au7 types/equivalents.  Dimu has extensive experience with many other types, for which many considerations must be taken into account prior to trying them to make sure the voltages, etc. are safe for the amp.  Many require certain power tubes to be used exclusively, as using others will surpass voltage limits, etc. and could/will damage the amp.  I also think there are even more that can be used according to him, however a different transformer is required (most that are required won't fit into the case however).

I hope this helps a bit, but let us all know.  Welcome to the club and keep us up to date on how the search/build goes!

beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #723 of 1,441
Guys, my long awaited review has finally arrived, so please read it here so that I don't have to post the same thing twice! :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/audio-over-ip-rednet-3-16-review-aes67-sets-a-new-standard-for-computer-audio/3045#post_13409313

I finally decided to give my system a review after I got the P5 Power Plant. I actually bought a new DAC recently as well, but didn't bother to write about it because the change was nothing remarkable. Don't get me wrong, my new, M2Tech Young DSD is good, but nothing breath taking.

What I would like to add here on the other hand is that the TU-8200 still scales remarkably well with all my updates! :)

This could honestly be an end game amp for many people. There is really no need to update to another one after you got this one, unless you are prepared to give 10 times more than you'd give for Elekit.

One more thing I'd like to point out is that the power supply is a very and I do mean VERY important part of your system. If you can, please try and audition the P5. It has completely transformed my system.

In my opinion, the most important parts of a digital system are as follows: headphones, amp/tubes/power supply and then clocking. These things have impacted my system the most in the order of most important. Amp, tubes and power supply are all equally important.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #724 of 1,441
Very cool, I'm glad you are liking the P5!

In many ways power is everything, for example, until the signal reaches the drivers, either speakers or headphones, the sound is in an electrical state traveling from end to end.  The electrical current from your outlet is thus the basis for the flow of current to your cans and its quality impacts everything else along the way.  Cleaner power will always give a better/blacker background and less noise between the notes, etc.  Basically the cleaner the power signal is the more impact and resolution is possible.

I also agree about the Elekit, I'll be keeping the 8200 for years to come.  With so many features/abilities, in addition to the high caliber quality of its sound output, I personally don't have any desire to try anything else at the moment.  The big kicker is the price tag, which makes this a mid-budget amp for those wanting high-budget sound.  For some the only real downside is that it is a kit and not assembled, but there are ways to have others build it for you; even factoring in top dollar to have it built for you, you'll still be saving a ton of dough for what you get in the end.

beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #725 of 1,441
Yes, I am now a believer in the importance of pure electric current. Before this, obviously like any other person I had my doubts but not anymore.

Anyway, what I think you might want to get is the TU-8500 to go along with your TU-8200. I was personally considering the same thing because I believe someone pointed out that it's a good product and adds more 2nd harmonic distortion and its actually cheaper than the TU-8200. I'm now not sure whether I should get one because my new DAC acts as a preamp as well. :)

Also, please go through the thread that I posted my review in. There are certain cheap products which seem to be providing a lot of performance for the money they cost. I'm personally going to order a 10MHz clock that's built here in Japan to further improve my Mutec. The cheapest version is around $800 if I'm not mistaken, but I'm waiting for the top model to become available again which is double the price. Suffice it to say that the reviews of the cheapest model are all positive. :)

To summarize for you what you could get from there:

Rednet D16R - Gets you off the USB (coming from PC) and onto Ethernet cable. (plug into Live Clock using AES).
CyberShaft 10MHz Clock - High precision external clock (should be used with Mutec or Live Clock with 50 Ohm BNC).
Antelope Audio Live Clock - Master clock which would be plugged into Mutec.
Mutec - end of this digital chain as you already know, plug into DAC.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #728 of 1,441
The large ones are KT66 and are awesome. I have both, but prefer the smaller ones from PSvane.

You can go thru my posts and read about it in this thread.
In short, yes I recommend you get both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.  My present tubes must be getting old, I am getting a channel imbalance.  It is more noticeable in the 12AU7s than the KT88s.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #729 of 1,441
I see, so you already have the KT88?

Well in that case, let me just tell you that you won't have as much bloom with KT66 as KT88.
I'm not saying that KT66 are worse, no far from it, but I'd say that at least Genalex KT88 add more bloom if that is what you're after. The KT66, might be then seen as a bit more "cleaner" sounding. I also think that KT88 have a wider soundstage.

On the other hand, if you try my current tubes, KR Audio KT88, then the best way to describe these is like a mix of KT88 and KT66 from Genalex. It actually removes some of the artificial bloom that KT88 has but leaves everything else intact.

I don't know what kind of sound you like, so it would be best to try them all out. :D

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #731 of 1,441
Ok, I get it, you got an all PSvane setup.

Well in that case, I don't think you can go any better, at least not with these Genalex KT66.
I haven't actually heard the PSvane KT88, I just have the 12AU7, but I assume their KT88 would be better than either ones from Genalex.

Again, I'm not sure, but do get them and report back with your findings.

Glad I could help. :wink:

May 1, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #732 of 1,441
Guys, I was at this year's Spring Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival, and was told by the gentleman at the Elekit booth that they have a new 300B amp coming out!

Its going to be around 130,000 yen, which is around $1,120.
No, I have no idea whether its going to be a new headphone amp or just a speaker amp, but what I do know is that its supposed to come out this fall!

So yeah, we'll see what happens.

Now I'm torn between the new Luxman P-750u I heard at the show and this one, which I actually haven't even heard yet, but judging by how much I loved TU-8200, I imagine this one's gonna be nothing short of amazing.

Hey, Victor, can you get us some more info please? :D

May 20, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #733 of 1,441
Guys, I was at this year's Spring Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival, and was told by the gentleman at the Elekit booth that they have a new 300B amp coming out!

Its going to be around 130,000 yen, which is around $1,120.
No, I have no idea whether its going to be a new headphone amp or just a speaker amp, but what I do know is that its supposed to come out this fall!

Hey, Victor, can you get us some more info please? :D
Yes.. It is a new version of TU-8300R. It has speaker terminal and headphone Jacket.
I will demo this amp in LA Audio show.

May 20, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #734 of 1,441
Very nice.

Let us know how it sounds compared to TU-8200 when you get it!

Well, I was sniffing around a bit and judging by the reviews of the old version, it's the same story like with TU-8200. People are just astounded by how good it sounds for such a low price. You can read more about it here.

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/...8300r-is-this-the-worlds-best-1000-amplifier/

I guess we are in for a treat! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back