Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread
Jul 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #181 of 358
Right now, there is no difference to me between my initial unit and the replacement one. I don't have the initial one with me right now to do an A/B test, but the same problems I had with the first persist in the second. Especially frustrating since I listened to Sam's "fixed" one at CanJam SoCal and it was, indeed, significantly better.

Interesting, it seems variation possibly between units and those that perceive the sound of such?.

Well, you got it at least a little earlier than expected. Good luck. There seems to be a lot of variation among units.

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #182 of 358
Strange. I had wifi on the whole time, and the date/time didn't update until I turned wifi off and then back on.

I don't really think my Beyerdynamic Xelentos are all that sensitive. The Westone W60 that I used before were significantly more so, at least if my iDevice volume settings can be trusted at all.

On a lark, I decided to try these with my Oppo PM-3. That does fix the hiss and makes the popping less noticeable. On the other hand, it's not a particularly good pairing. Also, strangely, the Explorer doesn't drive the PM-3 all that loudly. I have pretty sensitive ears and was able to crank them almost all the way up. Again, it seems like my iPad drives louder and with more authority than the Explorer.

I think it would have been better if the player had high and low gain settings, that might have helped depending on the source of the noises. I also was surprised how high I had to turn up the volume to drive my IEM's. I've never had an iPad but it sounds like a capable audio device.

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #183 of 358
I think it would have been better if the player had high and low gain settings, that might have helped depending on the source of the noises. I also was surprised how high I had to turn up the volume to drive my IEM's. I've never had an iPad but it sounds like a capable audio device.

I recently got a spankin' new iPad Pro 10.5", and I'm wondering if Apple did a little stealth improvement on the audio. Haven't done a lot of A/B, but I'm getting the impression that it drives cleaner and with more range than my iPhone 6S+ (which was already pretty solid, for a phone).

Side note: I just noticed the pack-in card with the Explorer that includes the following:

"Just a quick heads up, when using UAPP and TIDAL you may notice a subtle "click" sound when pressing play on a song. Don't worry, your Explorer is not about to explore (or is it... ?)! Advanced music players such as the Explorer use some pretty advance (sic) mechanical components, and what you are hearing with the "click" is a physical relay within the Explorer communicating between the Digital Audio Converter (DAC) and Amplified (AMP). So, the click is really just the sound of your music being turned into pure listening enjoyment."

:zipper_mouth:

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #184 of 358
I've already discussed the issues I've had ad nauseum, but I actually like the sound. I get no background noise on my Aeons or my IEMs (JH 13s). I have not tried really cranking them though as that is not how I tend to listen. I'm not ready to try to describe the sound especially because I'm still getting to know the Aeons, but I really like what I'm hearing! I'm sorry that is not what everyone is experiencing.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #185 of 358
I recently got a spankin' new iPad Pro 10.5", and I'm wondering if Apple did a little stealth improvement on the audio. Haven't done a lot of A/B, but I'm getting the impression that it drives cleaner and with more range than my iPhone 6S+ (which was already pretty solid, for a phone).

Side note: I just noticed the pack-in card with the Explorer that includes the following:

"Just a quick heads up, when using UAPP and TIDAL you may notice a subtle "click" sound when pressing play on a song. Don't worry, your Explorer is not about to explore (or is it... ?)! Advanced music players such as the Explorer use some pretty advance (sic) mechanical components, and what you are hearing with the "click" is a physical relay within the Explorer communicating between the Digital Audio Converter (DAC) and Amplified (AMP). So, the click is really just the sound of your music being turned into pure listening enjoyment."

:zipper_mouth:
Yeah, some pretty good wordsmithing there. The only noises I get are clicks from the unit, not through the headphones, on power up and power down. I noticed the grammatical error on the card too, kind of comical. Those noises you're getting would be a showstopper for me. Seems to be a lot of variability among units.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #186 of 358
I've already discussed the issues I've had ad nauseum, but I actually like the sound. I get no background noise on my Aeons or my IEMs (JH 13s). I have not tried really cranking them though as that is not how I tend to listen. I'm not ready to try to describe the sound especially because I'm still getting to know the Aeons, but I really like what I'm hearing! I'm sorry that is not what everyone is experiencing.

I'm a little jealous of your Aeons! I dug those at CanJam but I'd rather spend that kind of money on portable gear at this time. (These Beyerdynamics really are lovely, BTW)

Currently running the Explorer against my PM-3 and louder than usual volume to see if maybe it's a burn in issue (which I don't really believe in for solid state gear, but...)

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #187 of 358
So, I opened the box.

The wood on the new one is slightly darker than the original, but very nice. I notice that it fits more closely to the end cps than the original, so better fit and finish. The screen is slightly recessed now, so the scuffing issue I was having on the first one when laying it face down on my desk should be gone. Seems like the wood is generally thicker all over.

Screen seems better on the new one also, richer deeper color.

WiFi works fine, sounds very good.

The clicks when skipping tracks seems softer than the first run unit. So far only testing with my Grado GH1G and Aeons, will test later with the Roxanne's and see how that goes.

Case is very tight will have to decide if I will use it or not, kinda like seeing the custom engraving....

SD card slot is not as deep so did not have to use a knife to get the card inserted.
Scanning took 25 minutes for 143 gig 7200+ FLAC files

Next task is to decide if I need to update any apps?

Jul 1, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #188 of 358
I asked for help updating Tidal because my sd card wasn't appearing as an option for offline storage in Tidal.
I got comprehensive and easy to follow instructions (I'm pretty lazy when it comes to tech, it has to be simple) and Tidal offline now works like a dream!

I was getting skipping due to my crappy Wi-Fi setup, not an issue anymore.

I also have a Spotify account and plan to find out how to sideload that too.
Once I do I'll post instructions here if people are interested?

Echobox keep repeating that we should contact them for advice, and they came through for me after I e-mailed them at midnight on Friday night (UK time).
My instructions were waiting for me when I got up EARLY Saturday morning.
That's great service in my book, Echobox are clearly working hard.

BTW, here are the instruction for sideloading Tidal that I got from Echobox:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Download the attached file (Tidal_1.16.9-722.apk) to your computer.

2) Uninstall TIDAL from your Explorer. You can do this by pressing and holding on the TIDAL App, then dragging it to the "Uninstall" icon at the top of the screen.

3) Go into the settings menu of your Explorer and scroll down to "Security". Under the security section, you will want to enable "Allow Installations from Unknown Sources". If you cannot find it, you will be prompted to do this once you begin the installation later, however it will save you a step down the road if you can locate it right away.

4) Plug your Explorer in to your computer using the provided USB to Micro USB cable.

5) On Windows you will want to open your "File Explorer" and locate "X1" which is the name of the Explorer when it appears on your computer. Once you are in the Explorer folder, you will want to open the "downloads" folder. For a MAC, you will need to download the Android Tool, which you can find here: https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ Once downloaded, please follow their recommended instructions for how to transfer files.

6) On Windows or MAC, Once you have located the "Downloads" folder of the Explorer, simply "drag and drop" the TIDAL APK file into the Downloads folder.

7) Once you have moved the TIDAL file into your Downloads folder, you may unplug your Explorer from your computer.

8) Going back to the Explorer, open up the applications menu and look for an app called "File Explorer". Open this app.

9) Within the "File Explorer" app menu, you will want to locate "Internal Storage". Click on this.

10) Once in "Internal Storage", locate and click on the "Downloads" folder. Inside this folder you will see the TIDAL APK file you just moved from your computer.

11) Once you locate the TIDAL file, click on it. You will have a menu come up on your screen, please scroll down to the bottom of this menu and click on "Install". If you have enabled "Unknown Sources" already, it will proceed to install. If you have not, it will prompt you to go to the settings menu and enable this option. Once you have enabled it, work your way back through steps 8-10.

12) Once the installation is complete, press the "home" button on the bottom of your Explorer to return to the home screen. You can then go back to the Applications Menu, where you will find your newly installed TIDAL app. You can now open it and log in to your account!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I listened all day today and not a single hiccup.
I'm not trying to be that smug guy when some still have to receive their units, just reassuring those still waiting that it's worth the wait.
Sound is really great, and a big step up for me (previous best portable is iBasso D-Zero MK2>Sony Xperia cellphone) and I'm loving it.

I get that we've had to wait a hell of a long time for these devices, and that has soured some of us towards Echobox, but those of us that have our Explorers now shouldn't be bitching on behalf of those still waiting, I'm sure they can handle that themselves if they feel that way, and maybe they're prepared to wait the remaining time without complaint here?
I do feel bad for the remaining 41, especially those like me who can't afford another player to use while we waited, but If you're like me, you will feel a hell of a lot better once you have your Explorer.
I backed another Audiophile crowdfunded project which turned out to be a scam (Kickstarter) so my main concern in the early stages of the wait was whether Echobox was legit or not.
But since then lots of people have met Echobox team members at show, lots of people have backed, and received the earphones, and Echobox are Head-Fi sponsors.
Some of us also got to see and hear the Explorer at shows.
So I have felt re-assured for some time now that Echobox are 'on the up and up' and would like to offer my own reassurance that this DAP is everything I'd hoped for (for whatever that's worth).

Re' the case, yeah mine is TIGHT too, it's like trying to get 'The Hound' into Tyrian's wetsuit, but it did go on.
Don't think I'll be using it a great deal though. the wood is just too good looking nekkid.

I'm not having any issue with either noise from Wi-Fi, or short range, sorry to hear that others might be having to deal with that.

I have now tried out D2000's MDR1A's, T50RP's AKG K553 pro's and all are driven with authority and sound great in their own different ways.
The only 'phone I've tried which needed me to explore the upper quarter of the volume band is my T50RPs, and even they don't require max volume (and I listen loud btw).
I haven't tried out my CIEM's yet (Linum cable problems sadly), but I have other in-ears that I'll get around to soon.

I'll post this in both threads as it may prove useful for some (?)
Apologies for the cross-post.

Jul 1, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #189 of 358
Nice!! Just emailed and got the apk file, sideloaded just fine. I also loaded the Roon remote in and it works great, too.

No WiFi issues so far, have had some stuttering but that is probably my internet connection. I have been trying to download the win10 creators edition, my computer does not like it for some reason. go figure...

Now for a break and listen to some music.

Jul 2, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #191 of 358
Great. Keep those impressions coming in.
Sorry to those of you with units that still appear to have problems.
I'm on the list of 41 so have to wait some more. Hey ho. Hopefully I will get one from a defect-free batch which has been through rigorous QC.
I'm pretty laidback about the wait - as I see it our role as backers is to support a new business as they learn their trade and to provide a relatively safe environment for them to make, hopefully all, their mistakes in before commercial release. In exchange for which we get something cheap. It's the old 'cheap, fast and good quality - choose two' triangle. If Echobox come good on quality then I will be satisfied.
Let's see how Echobox apply what they learn from this experience. That for me is the real test.
Equally, I understand that others may have a different view. There's a lot of frustration here and on the IGG board which is perfectly valid.
Has anyone tried the optical out yet? I'm keen to understand whether Explorer will make a good transport for Mojo.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #192 of 358
Yep,I have used optical for testing and if works well. I have not done extensive comparisons though. YGGY and an experimental board...
Great. Keep those impressions coming in.
Sorry to those of you with units that still appear to have problems.
I'm on the list of 41 so have to wait some more. Hey ho. Hopefully I will get one from a defect-free batch which has been through rigorous QC.
I'm pretty laidback about the wait - as I see it our role as backers is to support a new business as they learn their trade and to provide a relatively safe environment for them to make, hopefully all, their mistakes in before commercial release. In exchange for which we get something cheap. It's the old 'cheap, fast and good quality - choose two' triangle. If Echobox come good on quality then I will be satisfied.
Let's see how Echobox apply what they learn from this experience. That for me is the real test.
Equally, I understand that others may have a different view. There's a lot of frustration here and on the IGG board which is perfectly valid.
Has anyone tried the optical out yet? I'm keen to understand whether Explorer will make a good transport for Mojo.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #194 of 358
I am in the process of ordering this "ZAGG InvisibleShield Scratch-Proof Universal Film Screen Protector" off Amazon.
it's cut to fit. We shall see how well I do with it.

There are several universal cut to fit but I have used Zagg before and they worked fine on the phones and tablet I put them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back