Denon D600 vs Denon MM400 vs Denon HP800 / Denon HP700
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

krenky

100+ Head-Fier
As I finally got the D600 now I am able to compare these 3 great headphones side by side. I have already posted the review for HP800 so here it is again:

DENON HP800 review

As there is no review for Denon HP800 and I cannot create it yet I decided to share my thoughts in this Thread.
I purchased the Denon HP800 which is the probably the same as HP700 and I have to say these are amazing headphones. They are perfect size in my opinion not too big and not too small. Only people with bigger ears might find them not suitable as the pads can sit on your ears then. This is not my case and they are just perfect for my head and ears.

When I tried first tracks I was really surprised how good they do sound. Also the isolation is very impressive. I have chance to compare them with my other pair Sennheiser HD25 and HD380. First HD380 are much better for long period as they are extremely comfortable but their built quality is not so good as Denon's. Denon's built quality is fantastic especially like the metal parts where they do extend but also just holding them in my hand feels rock solid. In terms of sound they are very very close to the HD380s. HD380 have a bit better sub-bass and they sound more spacious. It feels like you are in the concert hall where HP800 sounds like sitting in a studio. Somehow I find HP800 a tinny bit clearer / brighter than the HD380. Me personally for watching movies, sitting on computer for long ours I do prefer HD380 mostly because of the comfort and you wont get tired listening to them. But somehow for listening music and working with music, djing, mastering, etc. I prefer HP800. I still cannot believe how good they can sound, very detailed sound... I am actually exploring hidden sounds in songs and tracks.... amazing really.

I do also have HD25, which are amazing, love the fact that they are all easily replaceable and they also sound great. The isolation there is slightly even better. But I dont think they sound better than HP800 (IMO). HD25 sound a bit too much in your face and they are not so detailed than HP800. In terms of bass it's almost impossible how great the bass is in small HD25's cups but again my winner here is HP800. Hard to describe but somehow the bass feels a bit deeper too. Definitely the bigger cups on HP800 helps providing deeper bass. Also HD25 are small but they are sitting on ears and this is not comfortable over maybe couple of hours period. For me they are maybe good for travel or so.

Just to add that I was testing HP800 straight from the box today and that I used custom made headphone amp but I also use it with the other headphones to compare the sound here.
Few bullet points here:

PROS:

* looks cool
* built quality
* perfect size (for my head)
* clamping force is just ideal
* sound is amazing, so detailed... wow !
* overall sound very balanced - great for different genres
* best price really you cannot get anything cheaper / better here (IMO)

CONS:

* it might make you uncomfortable after few hours of using them
* cable is not too long (but at least coiled)
* cable is not detachable
* might not be right for you if you have bigger ears
* note the bass is balanced so if you are basshead it might not be the rigth kit for you
* would be nice to have case for them they just come with textile bag

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMPARISON WITH D600 and MM400

Comparison to MM400.... the MM400 is more elegant and stylish piece of hardware. It feels more solid and more premium than HP800. The comfort is also better as the ear cups are a bit deeper and the pads are softer, better quality than HP800 has. I have not tried to replace the original HP800 pads but I will surely doing so in near future.

MM400 also comes with great box including 2 detachable cables but I was not happy with their quality. Immediately decided to replace them for something better and I actually noticed slight improvement in sound quality. The main disadvantage of MM400 is their unique / oval shape jack plug on them. This plug is no standard and you have to look for something very tinny that can fit inside and be usable. Both cables I have purchased did not fit first but after few minutes of trimming about 3-4mm from the jack connector I was able to fit them in and the result was great. You can see on the pictures in my gallery, link below.

Lets talk about the sound quality. The MM400 sounds great, very clear, detailed and the bass is pretty deep, solid too. I can confirm that all the positive reviews these cans got are accurate and the quality of sound is right there on the top. As Denon is familiar for again these cans have slightly more emphasis on the bass which makes them a bit warmer but great for listening to all genres you might think. They are not flat but using some EQ you could achieve their flatness and they could be fine studio headphones too. But here I would say if you prefer flat sounding headphones for analytical study then you should look elsewhere like Sennheiser & Beyerdynamic.

I would be saying these headphones are my flagship but then I compare them to HP800. The result was very interesting. I have tested them on few of my favorite songs and discovered that they are pretty close and the difference is small. But the difference is there and its noticeable. The HP800 have this amazing details reproduction which I am failing to beat while testing with other cans. The HP800 have better details especially in the mids. When I listen to them I actually can hear sounds in songs I have never heard before. Crisp sounding mids and highs make them better than MM400. In bass department its a bit harder to spot the difference but again after some extending comparisons I have discovered that the HP800 have slightly better bass, warmer and more punchier .... quicker sounding. The soundstage and imaging is very similar almost the same. Perhaps in soundstage I would give MM400 higher rating. Isolation again is just a bit better on MM400 I think this is due to the wooden cups they have. In terms of comfort and built quality the MM400 takes the credit all the way.

Overall the HP800 sounds better and are much cheaper. But the MM400 are fine looking and premium feeling headphones with excellent sound. You certainly wont make a mistake buying those either. I would still took them over Sennheiser HD25 in terms of sound. The comparison to HP800 was not easy as the differences are not big at all.

Comparison to D600.... The D600 surprised me when I got them. They feel much better than they look. I was expecting some light, all plastic, cheap looking headphones but once I got them into my hands I had to admit they are pretty solid built and feel extremely comfortable. They are also quite heavy but not too much. I like their weight because it adds to the premium feel they have. I also have to say that these looks much better than the D7100 as the black / white contrast colors look better than the wooden cups on D7100.

I especially love the extra comfort and soft pads these D600 comes with. Also the padding on the headband is pretty thick and soft. When I put them on the head they feel like cushions and extensive listening periods wont be any issue here. Another think I love here are the detachable cable. There is one with the volume controller for mobile devices... I wont comment here as I never going to use this plus I dont think these are made for any travelling or commuting. These are made to be at home enjoying movies and music from your sofa. The second detachable cable is the best I came cross. The length is about 2 meters and the connectors and texture are premium quality. The cable is also pretty thick and feels heavy duty but not over done.

Lets talk about the sound as the D600's 50mm drivers where the main thing I was looking for to try. They did not fail me. The sound is again warm and very detailed, pleasure to listen any genre you might like. Two main things stands out right away. The soundstage.... its amazing it adds the hall experience to the sound especially while watching movies or playing games. But also for the music it makes the difference and the whole sound is overall pretty relaxed and not right into my head like.... which is something I really like. These dont have any fatigue inclination at all. The second amazing element is the bass. The bass is just excellent. Very deep, detailed and warm perfectly enjoyable. From all 3 headphones these have THE BEST BASS for sure. Across the whole bass range these stands out. Forgot to note that everything I have tested was with the best source and via Denon PMA-720AE amplifier so no wear or mobile source here. Always want to get the best of sound I possibly can.

Now for the Highs and Mids. They are definitely there, they are both detailed. They do not sound muffled or over balanced and have nice presence throughout the entire range. I love the fact that neither of these cans do not have this sharp, head hurting highs which feels like somebody is piercing your eardrums.... all of these headphones have brilliant highs with great mids except the HP800, their mids are exceptional, the very best I ever heard. Overall for the sound the highs and mids are very similar to the MM400 but not better. The bass is the best from all these 3 headphones Im comparing here. Soundstage is definitely the best and the isolation is decent too.

I have to say that I have D600 only for few weeks and I have not burned them properly yet. I heard that these cans must be burned properly to get the best from them as from the beginning they might sound too dark with not clear mids and highs. But after extensive burning that will improve and they will sound clearer. This is something I am really looking for.

Again I would say that these headphones are the best for me but only until you compare them to HP800. Again and again the HP800 are amazing.... Their detailed mids, crisp and clear highs with punchy bass made them superior. They do lack in terms of comfort mainly due to their original not premium pads but this could be changed once you replace them. Somebody here wrote that HP700 (which are same as HP800) do sound the same or even superior to the D7000. I have not tried any of the D7000 series but I definitely believe this statement. The HP800 are underrated, forgotten headphones that nobody gives credit too.... but this is an advantage if you are about fantastic headphones at ridiculous price.

To finish my long review now here is the overall result:

1. HP800 - the best sounding headphones, amazing sound detail, good isolation, perfect size, very cheap price, solid build

2. D600 - excellent bass sounding headphones, decent mids and highs, very comfortable, great soundstage, perfect detachable cable, solid feel

3. MM400 - great overall sound, very good bass, clear sounding mids an highs, comfortable, great isolation, decent soundstage, premium solid feel, very good build quality, nice packaging

I enjoy using all these 3 headphones. Its great to have the ability to change them and to compare them neck by neck. All these headphones are fantastic and buying one of these you would NOT make a mistake. As you can see in my profile I have also Sennheisers and other headphones I had in past but Denon feels special to me. Denon has the right sound signature I am looking for and mainly their products feel a bit more special than their competitors. I hope one day I also got their latest brother the D7200 and compare them all again.

If you wish to have more info regarding these then write me private message and I would be happy to comment.

PHOTO GALLERY:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/gallery/album/denon-stuff.1154404/

IMG_20170723_140144.jpg

IMG_20170723_140434.jpg

IMG_20170723_140327.jpg

IMG_20170723_135901.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 2
Hello guys

Over the period of time the pads on HP800 got pretty hard and the comfort level worsen. I was not happy about this but I found a great replacement and upgrade in the same time on this website.
I have ordered these pads as replacement: AKG K545 pads

These fit perfectly but are slightly bigger and the inner space is bigger as well. I also believe these are deeper than the original pads. As new these are very soft and much better than the originals.
Comfort level improved rapidly by this plus the sound seems to be the same but I can definitely say the soundstage has improved as well due to the bigger space inside of these pads.

I very much recommend these pads, if you have these headphones you must try them. Now they are definitely better than MM-400 in terms of sound plus about the same level in terms of comfort.
Here is the link for ebay (UK): www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-ear-pad-cushion-cover-set-kit-for-AKG-K545-K845BT-K540-Headphone-K5-UK/112497701273

Forgot to say the installation is very easy and fast. No worries here. I will be posting images of these into my gallery and into this review very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back