DAPs with USB Digital output
Jun 21, 2017 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

balu_613

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an alternative to using my computer as source to feed FLAC encoded files to USB DACs like Chord Hugo/Mojo. Are there any DAPs (with a dock, if necessary) that will outperform a general purpose laptop when operating as source for USB DACs? I've heard that the higher end Sony Walkman DAPs can be used this way, but I couldn't find anything in their specs or description that confirms it.

I am willing to spend about $1000-$1500, but not much more than that.

Thanks.

- balu

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 4
Unless you want to use a portable device for on the go also I don't think there would be that big of a increase of sound quality. Some claim they like the sound better out of coax than USB but I doubt it would be $1000 to $1500 better. But if you want a USB out I still don't think it would be any different in sound quality out of a Dap. There are daps that will do coax and optical out if your getting a lot of noise from your laptop. There are also some that can be used as a transport. I just don't think there will be significant gain from doing that. Just my opinion it's your money spend it anyway you like but I don't think it will be a huge improvement just saying.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 4
Unless you want to use a portable device for on the go also I don't think there would be that big of a increase of sound quality. Some claim they like the sound better out of coax than USB but I doubt it would be $1000 to $1500 better. But if you want a USB out I still don't think it would be any different in sound quality out of a Dap. There are daps that will do coax and optical out if your getting a lot of noise from your laptop. There are also some that can be used as a transport. I just don't think there will be significant gain from doing that. Just my opinion it's your money spend it anyway you like but I don't think it will be a huge improvement just saying.
No, I don't plan to use it as a portable device. I was thinking of something that can be used as a simple transport at work (where I can't set up my own wireless network). I have been using an Auralic Aries Mini, and while it sounds better than USB from my laptop, this solution has led to a maze of wires since I had to place it in a wired network. Today, while browsing the product pages of Woo Eclipse, I saw a photo of a Sony Walkman in a dock connected to a WA8, with the caption 'Minimalist Audiphile System'. That may be ideal for my situation but I haven't been able to find any additional information about such a setup and hence my question.

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Ok I think I understand now. Your wifi at work isn't good enough to handle streaming and you had to hook it up to the network hard. You like the idea of a transport to get rid of the other cables involved? You might want to say what your using as a amp as I know the Auralic is just a server/streamer and I think can be used as a dac also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back