DAPs with digital output?
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

squee116

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have my Fiio X1 (gen1 I think), which I love, but I'd like to be able to use a DAP directly with my Bimby from time to time.

I see the Colorfly C10, and Aune M1s on Massdrop right now, and I'm curious if either of them can do it, and if not, whether they sound noticeably better than my X1? I'm thinking of getting some Hifiman HEX v2s, and want to make sure my DAP will make them sing as well.

So I guess I might be looking at one DAP to rule them all, or two separate DAPs if the value is there.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 8
Just checked I don't think the Colorfly will output digital but the Aune says it will do coaxial spdif. I have not heard either but I'm sure they won't make the HEX's sing . That is looking for something different. I don't own them just have heard them a couple of times. Can't remember the other source but from my QP1R they were really good. I think to make them sing you need a desktop amp that is just my opinion.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 8
Just checked I don't think the Colorfly will output digital but the Aune says it will do coaxial spdif. I have not heard either but I'm sure they won't make the HEX's sing . That is looking for something different. I don't own them just have heard them a couple of times. Can't remember the other source but from my QP1R they were really good. I think to make them sing you need a desktop amp that is just my opinion.
That's interesting. I was under the impression the HEX's were designed for mobile use, and that they actually suffered from too much power. I'll have to re-look into that.

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 8
The FiiO X3 has coax out (isn't coax a digital out?)

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 8
That's interesting. I was under the impression the HEX's were designed for mobile use, and that they actually suffered from too much power. I'll have to re-look into that.
They might say they were designed to be portable but why would someone want a open headphone to use out in the world? You will annoy others and hear all the other noises out there also. Your definition of sing and mine might be different also a good desktop setup doesn't mean gobs of power just most portable setups cant compete with a good desktop setup. This is not always the case but for the most part I think is fairly true. YMMV as always.

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 8
I use mine because I'm often at cafe's studying alone, or out for a walk, so I'm not super worried about bothering people. As for over-powering, I've heard that beyond a certain level of power, the HEX starts picking up noise.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 8
I ended up picking the Aune M1s. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back