DAP for around $300 ?
May 13, 2017 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Choco

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, lurker here.
I've been visiting headfi for quite awhile for review information but never really signed up, so this is my first time posting ^^

I currently own a 1964ears Qi (4BA)
And I'm terribly annoyed with my iphone7 and its use of lightning adapter to connect to my in-ears.

So I thought of getting myself a better source.
I've done some research of the products within this price range
  • Sony NW-A35
  • iBasso DX80
  • Fiio X5 3rd Gen
  • Pioneer xdp-100r
I'm excluding the Onkyo X1 because it seems that they have issue with the 3.5mm jacks ( i use only 3.5mm )

So my question is, between these four devices which one has closest to neutral sound signature? I like things neutral, previously I own westone um1, then um3 ... so i decided just to stick to neutrality as much as possible ^^

Thank you very much in advance

May 14, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi guys, lurker here.
I've been visiting headfi for quite awhile for review information but never really signed up, so this is my first time posting ^^

I currently own a 1964ears Qi (4BA)
And I'm terribly annoyed with my iphone7 and its use of lightning adapter to connect to my in-ears.

So I thought of getting myself a better source.
I've done some research of the products within this price range
  • Sony NW-A35
  • iBasso DX80
  • Fiio X5 3rd Gen
  • Pioneer xdp-100r
I'm excluding the Onkyo X1 because it seems that they have issue with the 3.5mm jacks ( i use only 3.5mm )

So my question is, between these four devices which one has closest to neutral sound signature? I like things neutral, previously I own westone um1, then um3 ... so i decided just to stick to neutrality as much as possible ^^

Forget sound signature for a moment and think about something more important considering you have an iPhone: can you do manual tagging, drag n drop, library updates, etc without syncing software? Because even DAPper doesn't work as well as iTunes (at least for those who like how iTunes works).

May 14, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 9
I like the FiiO and the AK Jr. quite well. The AK is very intuitive. Sounds great. You might read about it and see what you think. It's possible it could work for you, too.

Hmm, AKjr seems ok .... but rather lacking in the battery department?

Forget sound signature for a moment and think about something more important considering you have an iPhone: can you do manual tagging, drag n drop, library updates, etc without syncing software? Because even DAPper doesn't work as well as iTunes (at least for those who like how iTunes works).

yeah pretty much ok with it, i'm a tech guy so these usability issues are not really a bother to me ^^

May 15, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Well was going to suggest the Onkyo DP-X1 as I think it is the best sounding of the ones I've heard in this price range and don't have any clue of the port problem. I believe the Pioneer is the samedap just rebranded but not totally for certain. I know I would pic the Onkyo over the X7 but have not heard the balanced amp though. I have not heard the ibasso so can't say but the others I have and would go for the Onkyo myself. Well sorry I have not heard the Sony. I have a Questyle QP1R that I love and so I'm not biased to the others just liked the Onkyo better. This is just my opinion. The QP1R has a horrible UI but the sound makes me forget about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back