Confused what I need to play from digital storage.
May 29, 2017 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tenebras

New Head-Fier
I am looking at getting a hi-fi setup that I can play music preferably from either a home server or HDD.

I just can't seem to find precisely what it is I need.

Sorry if this is a silly question...

May 29, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 15
I'm currently using a NAS for all of my music, the way i have it setup is I use Roon to manage my music (Roon core in installed on the NAS), then I use an Auralic Aries connected via ethernet, this is then connected via usb to my DAC.

With the Aries you do not need Roon as it has software to manage your music, Roon is just my preference

May 29, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 15
I just got the Marantz NA8005 from MusicDirect for $500 which is more than %50 off retail. It is a terrific network streamer and has additional digital inputs to use as a DAC for other gear. I use a networked 2TB WD MyCloud Drive which holds all my FLAC audio files. Pair that up with with a nice amp and you would be all set.

May 29, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 15
There seems to be endless options. LOL! I just look at posts from people with a similar setup to mine when looking for new gear. My listening area is a spare bedroom where I have my desktop computer and also an audio rack (CD, tape, turntable, amp, speakers). I just use a JDS Labs Element amp/DAC for my computer. I do most of my listening from my audio rack about 50/50 between speakers and headphones. I added the Marantz NA8005 to my audio rack because it meets my needs and I trust the brand, plus it allowed me to run the TVs digital out to it and control it from a remote and an app on the phone.
Are you looking for powered desktop speakers or regular bookshelf speakers? What is the setup you are trying to achieve?

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 15
There seems to be endless options. LOL! I just look at posts from people with a similar setup to mine when looking for new gear. My listening area is a spare bedroom where I have my desktop computer and also an audio rack (CD, tape, turntable, amp, speakers). I just use a JDS Labs Element amp/DAC for my computer. I do most of my listening from my audio rack about 50/50 between speakers and headphones. I added the Marantz NA8005 to my audio rack because it meets my needs and I trust the brand, plus it allowed me to run the TVs digital out to it and control it from a remote and an app on the phone.
Are you looking for powered desktop speakers or regular bookshelf speakers? What is the setup you are trying to achieve?

Bookshelf, I guess. It'll be for a lounge/listening room. I am in the market for a new place right now so I will likely have a dedicated room, I just can't be sure of dimensions yet.

May 29, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 15
The are a lot of options for speakers as well. I tend to like a warm sound signature for headphones and speakers so I stay away from metallic tweeters. I have the Wharfedale Diamond 225s bookshelf speakers which work very well for me.

May 30, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 15
Bookshelf, I guess. It'll be for a lounge/listening room. I am in the market for a new place right now so I will likely have a dedicated room, I just can't be sure of dimensions yet.

If it's a large enough dedicated room you might as well save up a bit and get tower speakers with an extra bass driver. It's a new home, so have it delivered there, so it doesn't need to be broken down into two standmounts and two stands.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 15
If it's a large enough dedicated room you might as well save up a bit and get tower speakers with an extra bass driver. It's a new home, so have it delivered there, so it doesn't need to be broken down into two standmounts and two stands.

Thanks and yes it likely will be a large room. I'll likely use the designated master bedroom for it and use a smaller room for my bedroom.

I've been looking at the BOWERS & WILKINS 600 SERIES 683 S2.

May 30, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 15
I like a warm sound for my headphones too,but I highly suggest you consider a pair of GoldenEar Triton series,paired with a tube amp=soundstage+imaging that will blow your mind,and vocals that will bring happy tears to your eyes.

May 31, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #14 of 15
Thanks and yes it likely will be a large room. I'll likely use the designated master bedroom for it and use a smaller room for my bedroom.
I've been looking at the BOWERS & WILKINS 600 SERIES 683 S2.

Fantastic choice if you can get it new but for less than when the S2 was new. Get a decent amp because those speakers need a heck of a lot of clean power. My NAD 304 does a lot better on those than "175w x 7...(Mfr BS note: single channel loaded, 1% THD...)" HT receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back