Competition Closed...but what is in the Retro – Stereo 50?
Sep 12, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #481 of 517
It has been a long while, thought to update my Twitter and FB background pics to showcase all the new changes to my desk, so posting a new pic of my desk here.
Absent are new upcoming Corsair K95 Cherry MK Red or Brown gaming keyboard (there is an unused keyboard tray on my desk where my new gaming keyboard will be situated. Will test which Cherry MK key type I prefer), and Corsair gaming mouse pad (deciding between MM600 or MM800 RGB). Both will be acquired at next paycheck.
My Noble Audio Katana CIEM's are still being made so are also absent.

You can't see it clearly but on the left-hand side of my gaming MSI GP62 6QF laptop is an iFi Audio Gemini USB cable (data/audio head only), and the power head is directly connected to the 1st Gen iFi Audio iUSBPower output (that is the true way to use it, told to me by iFi Audio themselves). Thus I'm using the iUSBPower as a USB power regenerator.
The 1st Gen iFi Audio iPurifier is behind the iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50.
For music via laptop I use J.River Media Centre (media playback via Media Centre Home Cinema/CCCP), but for serious listening I use my Onkyo DP-X1 digital audio player in balanced mode and headphones of choice.
The Retro Stereo 50 is predominantly used for multimedia consumption, or whenever I want to listen to music via speakers.

Behind the laptop, lifted into the air via CoolerMaster Ergostand III, is my 10-way USB 3.0 dock, and behind this a 3Tb external HDD on an external USB 3.0 HDD dock.

I use my John Blue JB3 speakers as I prefer them over the iFi Audio LS3.5.

With the Retro Stereo 50, if I use headphones, one output is always connected to my SubPac S2, and the other to my headphones.
Meze Headphones 99 Classics is connected via low gain, and Audeze EL-8 Titanium or AKG K 712 via high gain.
The latter headphone is used for gaming with an Antlion ModMic 4.0 microphone attachment.

For my Xbox One and PS4, I output via optical Toslink into a 1st Gen TurtleBeach EarForce DSS 7.1 sound processor into analogue in of Retro Stereo 50.

How tall are you, try the LS3.5 more widely space aprart amd at the level of the ear. It seems they are too low as they need to be at the level of the ear. try that bud,.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #483 of 517
Sep 24, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #484 of 517
HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!
​The last 24 hours have been a nightmare.My amp has started loosing PCM lock,the Green led starts flashing red,the Orange "PMC"light starts flashing on & off then the amp shuts down.After 60-90 secs.it comes back on & PMC locks.What?????????

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #485 of 517
  HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!
​The last 24 hours have been a nightmare.My amp has started loosing PCM lock,the Green led starts flashing red,the Orange "PMC"light starts flashing on & off then the amp shuts down.After 60-90 secs.it comes back on & PMC locks.What?????????

Hmm... no worries! Open a support ticket HERE and we'll be sure to take a look for you and make sure you're taken care of! 
beerchug.gif

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 28, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #486 of 517
I'm new to the 'high-end audio' spectrum of hifi. The Ifi Retro Stereo 50 in combination with the Retro LS3.5 speakers have peaked my interest.

But I have some questions that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to.

What would be the best (audio quality wise) way to incorporate online audio streaming (with maximum ease of use) into this setup?

I'm talking about streaming services like Tidal, Qobus and also Spotify Premium. From what I've read the (theoretical) best digital connection with the system would be over USB, with a optical connection there could be timing issues that could cause timing issues in the digital signal. Through USB this would be corrected in the Retro Stereo 50?

Let's say I wan't to use the Spotify app on my Android phone to choose my music and don't want to use Bluetooth since I don't want my phone playing the music and be limited to its broadcasting range.

Devices that can only do optical out are apparently not optimal so out goes a simple Chromecast audio or expensive Bluesound node 2. Is a mini PC or raspberry pi 3 (with Volumio) the way to go and would this work with original apps by Spotify, Tidal etc. ?

I hope this makes any sense... there is so much information to digest for a newcomer :p

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #487 of 517
  I'm new to the 'high-end audio' spectrum of hifi. The Ifi Retro Stereo 50 in combination with the Retro LS3.5 speakers have peaked my interest.

But I have some questions that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to.

What would be the best (audio quality wise) way to incorporate online audio streaming (with maximum ease of use) into this setup?

I'm talking about streaming services like Tidal, Qobus and also Spotify Premium. From what I've read the (theoretical) best digital connection with the system would be over USB, with a optical connection there could be timing issues that could cause timing issues in the digital signal. Through USB this would be corrected in the Retro Stereo 50?

Let's say I wan't to use the Spotify app on my Android phone to choose my music and don't want to use Bluetooth since I don't want my phone playing the music and be limited to its broadcasting range.

Devices that can only do optical out are apparently not optimal so out goes a simple Chromecast audio or expensive Bluesound node 2. Is a mini PC or raspberry pi the way to go and would this work with original apps by Spotify, Tidal etc. ?

I hope this makes any sense... there is so much information to digest for a newcomer :p

Hi Mahieu,

Well what works well for me is the Retro connected to my iPad 2 by USB using the Apple iPad/iPhone Camera Kit connector USB adapter.  I use an iFi Gemini USB cable, which separates the 5V USB power from the data cable, and a few of iFi's gizmos to clean power and correct the data signal for optimised performance.  The iPad receives by wifi from the router.

I use Qobuz, but have also tried Tidal and Classics Online, and am currently trialing Spotify Premium again, as I like the 'Radio' feature in particular.

By using the Gemini cable, to supply independent USB power, the drain on the iPad battery is minimal and I shut the Apple screen protector, which also helps.  There is very little drain at all using that system.

By the way the iPad is capable to output HiRes files through the camera kit.  Try a Google for further info.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #488 of 517
@Liam2
Your setup sounds good but personally it wouldn't give me the clean, simple and easy to use setup that I'm aiming to create.

Right now I've come to my 'ultimate' wishlist around this system:

Ifi Retro Stereo 50
Ifi Retro LS3.5 speakers
Bluesound Node 2 (black)
QED Reference Digital Audio 40 coaxial cable as interconnect

The Ifi system is designed by a group of experts in the field and it is very interesting to let such a group design a complete system including speakers with high end components. Based on Ifi's history I also trust that they understand digital audio sources. The Bluesound node 2 decission is pretty much based on the same principle. Veterans of the industry creating an audiostreamer, they understand digital audio. Also the Bluesound platform seems future proof and from experience I know I like their app (at least a lot more then Sonos). I think it is a great choice to build a multi-room system around Bluesound in the future. Bluesound will also support MQA so in that sense it seems pretty future proof. Last but not least the cable, in the Ifi manual it is stated that usually digital coaxial is preferred over optical. When searching for coaxial cables in the spectrum of high quality but not insanely priced this is what I ended up with.

In total this would cost about 3000 euro. So I have to think long and hard now if this is what I want to do. Also now that this idea is formed purely on reading it is probably also a good time to go and have a listen at a local dealer :)

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #489 of 517

From what I've read the (theoretical) best digital connection with the system would be over USB, with a optical connection there could be timing issues that could cause timing issues in the digital signal. Through USB this would be corrected in the Retro Stereo 50?

The Retro Stereo 50 incorporates "trickle down" technology from AMR, specifically in the form of the GMT/ZeroJitter system used on SPDIF inputs (including optical).

This means timing issues from the source are eliminated by passing the data through a memory buffer and clocking out the data with a steady clock.

So as long as you do not need high resolution PCM above 24 bit/192 kHz or DSD, SPDIF is perfectly fine via optical or coaxial.

A Chrome Cast Audio is arguably the cheapest way to add streaming. A bit higher up, you could try a Nvidia Shield TV box which would connect via USB and which we are looking forward to test one of these days (fugit inreparabile tempus).

Finally you get a variety of more or less DIY/Turnkey music streamers from hacked Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone/Cubox "tiny computers", all the way to audiophile dedicated streamers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 16, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #490 of 517
Originally Posted by iFi audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm... no worries! Open a support ticket HERE and we'll be sure to take a look for you and make sure you're taken care of! 
beerchug.gif

​I have just found time to open a Ticket on this problem & it's getting much worse.I was not able to upload this with Ticket(#539801) so I wanted to post it here hoping it will help get it fixed.Thanks very much...

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #491 of 517
anyone compared the headphone amp section of the Retro 50 to the ifi pro ican or any other device and could comment?

From what I understand, the HP section is very well designed....

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #492 of 517
  anyone compared the headphone amp section of the Retro 50 to the ifi pro ican or any other device and could comment?

From what I understand, the HP section is very well designed....

Would love to hear impressions as well. I'm about ready to jump into the nearfield speaker pool, and wondering if this system is going to be my best option.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #493 of 517
  Would love to hear impressions as well. I'm about ready to jump into the nearfield speaker pool, and wondering if this system is going to be my best option.

I have both pro ican and the stereo 50. the hp amp in the pro ican is better.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #495 of 517
Has anyone determined  what is causing the popping sounds with the Retro 50?  I replaced my preamp tubes and it still does it. 

Mine unit has always have some pops and clicks in the first 10-15 minutes after it turns on. The pops disappear once the tubes are completely warmed up. It used to have a non-regular pop and click sound mid song, but the problem was solved by replacing a whole set of tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back