Come Visit HIFIMAN and Meet SHANGRI-LA at CanJam SoCal 2017!
Apr 6, 2017 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SHANGRI-LA represents an idyllic, sonic paradise where music listening approaches…. perfection. 

After years of painstaking research, trial and error and auditioning (followed by more of the same) HIFIMAN has created its finest headphone: SHANGRI-LA. Quite possibly, the best headphone of all time.

SHANGRI-LA builds upon HIFIMAN's unmatched expertise in Nanotechnology to create a cutting-edge headphone with virtually zero distortion and lightning fast response. A custom-designed amplifier featuring four legendary 300B tubes is an integral part of the cost-no-object experience. SHANGRI-LA is available now to order with expected delivery in four to five months.  

http://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/270

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Apr 7, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 16
  Why is so expensive?

It's the meaning of "cost-no-object". 
L3000.gif

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 16
I heard this at the Headroom show in London in March at the Metropolis Studios. A Michell Engineering Vinyl deck was connected to it, and a Vinyl compilation of Female Vocalists was played. I was absolutely blown away, at the time I didn't realise this was a 50,000 Euro system and thought what I was hearing was the pure analogue signal of Vinyl compared to a digital recording, looking back now it was the Shangri-La system.

I met someone who listened to the Sennheiser Orpheus as well, but not at the same show, so his impressions of the Orpheus wouldn't be fresh. Either way this is an amazing system.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 16
I might be mistaken, but to me it looks like this is the first time that a company takes on the Orpheus system in a direct 1v1 with their own cost-no-object headphone-amplifier combination. Although it's far out of my reach financially, I still find it an exciting development.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 16
  I might be mistaken, but to me it looks like this is the first time that a company takes on the Orpheus system in a direct 1v1 with their own cost-no-object headphone-amplifier combination. Although it's far out of my reach financially, I still find it an exciting development.

That is really exciting too! Historically, I've been a fan of Hifiman, the last product of theirs I tried the HE X disappointed me, sound was amazing but build was garbage, my HM 901 sits in that boat as well, beautiful sound! Beautiful UI, garbage build quality. But I see that hifiman released some revisions, and I'm hoping they addressed the rather poor build quality they started to become known for, as all of their products sound AMAZING, and deserve the same rock solid build I came to expect with the previous generation! My Hm801 was a tank as it my HE 4, so here's to hoping they succeed at offering a different kind of TOTL be all end all experience to the Orpheus system! 

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 16
Apr 9, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 16
Heard that the amp and headphones broke before some people could listen to it at SoCal. ...Whomp whomp

The EF1000 on display got a burnt fuse and the Shangri-La had the power tubes slightly singed.
Shangri-La wasn't broken per say, just had a loose 300 tube so it wasn't operational. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back