cmoy hansen pcbs found! need help
Aug 1, 2013 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ewingfox

New Head-Fier
Found the classic hansen pcbs in an old stash of parts... getting back into the sport, but cannot find instructions or parts lists anywhere since most of the best work on the project was lost with the closing of the headwize forums.. anybody have details?

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 12
Nov 11, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Wow... So I have a head injury, so I am basically a goldfish lol. Just "discovered" the same board and raced back to this forum for help. My last attempt to get back into DIY was blown by a divorce... By the time I got my stuff back, I had long forgotten about my question. If anyone is able to help, here is a picture of the board I am talking about!

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 12
Here's a populated Hansen board:

And here are the part values I used:

For the most part, any experience you have with similar amps tells you how to build this. It's basically a glorified CMoy pocket amp with a buffered crossfeed circuit built in.

The only tricky bit is the crossfeed switch.

As I recall, it's a 4P3T rotary switch with the fourth pole unused. Think of it as 4 quarters. The unused fourth quarter is the one pointing downward in the picture, toward the middle of the panel. The quarter closest to the camera is for the ground channel (green wires), the quarter toward the top edge of the picture is for the left channel (black wires), and the red wires go to the quarter you can't clearly see in the photo.

The three used center pins go to what I've labeled as "XFSW OUT", and Hansen labeled "S2 OUT".

The left, right, and ground switch input wires (XFSW-*) go to the outer ring of rotary switch lugs.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 12
Thank you very much!

Perhaps this "old" topolgy has been bested in the past 2 decades, but I think this definitely worth a trip down memory lane to put together.

I have like 5 projects going at once now (Wife #2 is awesome about supporting my hobbies) and *gasp* my local source has gone out of business since I was last in the game.   Where do you buy most of your components?  Have 2 preamps, a gainclone, a massive power conditioner and now a headphone amp to source parts for :)

Is Mouser still the only game in town?  I also need to find some high(er) end caps, alps pots, and quality resistors.  Not really ratbay kind of parts.

E

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 12
One more question - are those Vishay resistors!!!!  Sweet :)  what wattage resistors did you use, and do you have an easy answer on the voltage rating for the rest of the caps? 

I'm still scouring the internet for an original parts list that came with the CE Hansen kit, but with the fate of headwize so many great things were lost!!

E

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 12
  One more question - are those Vishay resistors!!!!  Sweet :)

Yes, RN55D-F series.  Which also answers your other question about them.

Note that the LED resistor is a cheap 5% carbon...no point using anything better here.

do you have an easy answer on the voltage rating for the rest of the caps?  

All of the caps I didn't bother to provide a voltage for are in the audio signal path, so you basically cannot buy caps with voltage too low to work, if you stick to high-quality film types, as you should, so there's no point specifying it. Basically, buy the smallest voltage value you can get away with. These are probably all 50 or 63V.

What you actually care about here is that they're Panasonic ECQ-P series, as I recall. That's what fits the footprints.

Is Mouser still the only game in town? 

They never were. Digi-Key, Newark, Allied and many other smaller distributors have their advantages. I'm not sure I ever built a single amplifier with parts from just one distributor.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks Tangent!

I used to have pretty much a monthly order from Mouser -  all of my friends and I would do a big bulk order to get prices down, and hang out in my apartment sorting out the grab bag that would show up.  The fact that we would end up usually making 3 or 4 of everything at the same time helped for sure. Now that my college buddies have all moved away or stopped playing with electronics, I'll explore some of the other options.

I'll start parts shopping - I have a gainclone amp, a DHT 300B pre-amp, a DC DHT preamp clone and a large(er) isolation transformer in the works in addition to the Cmoy so I have plenty to buy.  I may need to ask a few more questions about the crossfeed switch as things get closer!.

If you have any other forum driven user kits to recommend in the <100$ range, please let me know!  I am not really up to the point (or have the setup again yet) to start etching my old boards or designing anything new  - with my head injury and a 15 year hiatus from the game, I have a lot of catching up to do! I also like to support forum driven business as much as possible.

Thank you,

Ewing

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 12
Wow!!

Thank you So much!

The setup Headwize had with their host was so bizarre.  It is really a shame that the forum was lost to the annals of the interwebs.

Currently building a gainclone for a customer, once that is done I'll tackle this one!

Ewing

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 12
The Poly caps that most people used for this project have been discontinued - any suggestions on good replacements?  Is it just a case of the part number changing ?

Thank you for the help with all of these stupid newb questions, I promise I'll contribute to the community once I have something valuable to say :)

Beyond expressing my thanks -

Ewing

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 12
  Is it just a case of the part number changing ?

Nope. It appears that Panasonic have completely discontinued film-and-foil caps, now offering only metalized film.

Metalized polypropylene isn't bad, just not the best. If you don't mind, then use the parametric search to find a cap with the correct lead spacing. That's the biggest incompatibility.

If you want the best, then you will find threads and threads full of capacitor recommendations here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back