Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 23, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #6,211 of 22,516
Do you find H2 supplies enough power to T12? i'm using dt880 600 ohm now with a view to upgrade my headphones finances allowing.

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #6,212 of 22,516
Hey guys, new to audio and the Hugo 2 would be my first ever DAC purchase. It's a lot of money, but I won't be changing my DAC for at least 2-3 years and this DAC is truly future proof. I would've bought this by now if I had a mac, but my source of music is my iPhone. I use the offline "import" option on the Qobuz app to listen to music. I currently have the subscription that maxes out at 16 bit, but I'll upgrade to 24 bit sublime+ soon... I want to know whether I can feed 24 bit music playing on the Qobuz app to the DAC or can 24 bit music ONLY be sent to the DAC using an app like "Onkyo Player" like the "USB Audio Player Pro" app for android? I really really want this DAC, but at the same time, don't want to waste my money if the above setup won't work...

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #6,213 of 22,516
Do you find H2 supplies enough power to T12? i'm using dt880 600 ohm now with a view to upgrade my headphones finances allowing.

Yes, it is.

Mojo did drive them, but in an act of impatience waiting for H2, I picked up the O2 amp and liked how the power boost impacted T1.2 and Mojo. No such need with H2.

A number of posters have written about higher impedance headphones and H2 favorably.

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #6,214 of 22,516
Hey guys, new to audio and the Hugo 2 would be my first ever DAC purchase. It's a lot of money, but I won't be changing my DAC for at least 2-3 years and this DAC is truly future proof. I would've bought this by now if I had a mac, but my source of music is my iPhone. I use the offline "import" option on the Qobuz app to listen to music. I currently have the subscription that maxes out at 16 bit, but I'll upgrade to 24 bit sublime+ soon... I want to know whether I can feed 24 bit music playing on the Qobuz app to the DAC or can 24 bit music ONLY be sent to the DAC using an app like "Onkyo Player" like the "USB Audio Player Pro" app for android? I really really want this DAC, but at the same time, don't want to waste my money if the above setup won't work...
You can, indeed, stream 24 bit material from iOS devices via the Apple CCK/USB route. Now that I've updated to iOS 10.3.3 the regular dropping output on the previous version of iOS appears to have been resolved. I am using Qobuz Sublime+, by the way.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #6,215 of 22,516

Something interesting to consider regarding the H2 purchase.

You can purchase it and love it or...

you can go the route of getting a much less expensive DAC, enjoy it, sell it at a loss for a slightly higher priced one, love that for awhile, sell it at a loss, and so on, until you reach the saturation point where you want the most excellence you can afford; short of DAVE and land at H2.

Judging by posts by so many of us, one would come to the conclusion that the latter waste of money but get experience is the way to go.

There's something special at aiming at "end game" and obtaining excellence and then using one's energy to explore music.

Rather than "pursuit is happiness" in spending, with the right equipment, the journey of music exploration, especially new genre, is deeply rewarding. I've gotten so many leads by reading the enthusiastic posts here that I need much more time to demo, digest and enjoy them! I'm off to get the Cello music Mike mentioned next.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #6,216 of 22,516
You can, indeed, stream 24 bit material from iOS devices via the Apple CCK/USB route. Now that I've updated to iOS 10.3.3 the regular dropping output on the previous version of iOS appears to have been resolved. I am using Qobuz Sublime+, by the way.
Can't believe my luck lol! A perefect answer to my question within 5 minutes of posting by someone who's using sublime+!! :astonished:

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #6,217 of 22,516
i would assume hugo 2 would be happier with more bits to process so more digital information leads to a more finely reconstructed analogue signal..either way the girls will like your new hugo 2.:L3000::L3000::hearts::hearts:

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #6,218 of 22,516
Something interesting to consider regarding the H2 purchase.

You can purchase it and love it or...

you can go the route of getting a much less expensive DAC, enjoy it, sell it at a loss for a slightly higher priced one, love that for awhile, sell it at a loss, and so on, until you reach the saturation point where you want the most excellence you can afford; short of DAVE and land at H2.

Judging by posts by so many of us, one would come to the conclusion that the latter waste of money but get experience is the way to go.

There's something special at aiming at "end game" and obtaining excellence and then using one's energy to explore music.

Rather than "pursuit is happiness" in spending, with the right equipment, the journey of music exploration, especially new genre, is deeply rewarding. I've gotten so many leads by reading the enthusiastic posts here that I need much more time to demo, digest and enjoy them! I'm off to get the Cello music Mike mentioned next.

Thank you so much for your input! Getting the Hugo 2 for EXACTLY the reasons you mentioned. I JUST want to enjoy the music and not worry about equipment and I believe no other DAC at this price range or even a little bit higher allows me to do that...

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #6,219 of 22,516
Are you sure CCK can do 24 bit, i believe its 16 bit max, red light through sd port.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #6,220 of 22,516
for Pete i would recommend roon as it has been described as the ultimate music discovery tool. i'm new to this and will try roon at some point with the only negative being that a complete reappraisal of my understanding of the software settings in roon will have to start all over again. currently using tidal exclusive mode where a full audio stream is fed to H2 bypassing osx mac and the tidal app with the aim of superior sound quality. i can only learn by copying what those here in the know are doing as i know no one who is interested in computer audio. reading more is invaluable here too. loving tidal hifi with H2 being fed by a quad core imac 27 512gb ssd late 2013.:spy::spy:

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #6,221 of 22,516
120 gigs and climbing for myself. have a 1 terabyte ssd external server to fill. :nerd:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #6,223 of 22,516
don't worry anime if your original plan is no go half the fun is experimentation. why not buy a cheapish dap capable of streaming tidal through wifi and does tidal offline too. flexibility is key here you are not married to Qobuz.? you wouldn't believe the rigs i built till i arrived at hugo2. intonas, modi multibits, earmax pro tube amps, sending my intona to san francisco from UK by special delivery to raise money for H2. OHH what a life.:sweat::sweat: don't forget the experts here must have started with minimal or no knowledge at some point. that is a must. music triggers an emotional response in me and that is why i went for H2 at 1800.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #6,224 of 22,516
Yes, I'm sure. Blue light for 24/192, green for 24/96 etc, on Hugo, Mojo and now Hugo 2.

Not on my hugo 1 iPhone 7 plus cck, find out about ch2 tomorrow. have they changed the colours blue 192 fr, no its red on cck 44.1 16 bit. maybe thats iPhone? or the lossless files i use, sorry no tidal

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #6,225 of 22,516
Not on my hugo 1 iPhone 7 plus cck, find out about ch2 tomorrow. have they changed the colours blue 192 fr, no its red on cck 44.1 16 bit. maybe thats iPhone? or the lossless files i use, sorry no tidal
That's very strange... Are you using the HD USB input on Hugo 1?
Otherwise it may be the app you're using. Certainly no issues for me on Qobuz Sublime. You won't get any more than 16/44.1 out of Tidal on iOS; its MQA playback is via the desktop app only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back