Cheapets amp that can drive HE-6
Jun 18, 2017 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tripswitch123

New Head-Fier
I've been looking at several amplifiers, but it's hard to say if they are powerful enough for the HE-6. I've been looking at Schiit Asgard 2 and Atrox V2 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atrox-V2-2x...645180?hash=item1ec98f85bc:g:XzMAAOSwFqNZRR6g), but will the Asgard suffice? The Atrox seems powerful enough, but I found almost no information about it online. Are there any other amps in the same price range that will do a good enough job with the HE-6?

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 11
Jun 19, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 11
Just get a vintage intergrated amp and drive them from the speaker terminals, I ran my HE-500 out the speaker taps of my Marantz PM5005 but my old vintage PM-44 MKII SE had less background noise and was cheaper.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 11
I have a space requirement as well, I can't fit a full size amplifier. The emotiva amp seems nice enough, but I still think it's quite big. I read that the HE6 might require as much as 5W per channel during peaks, are there no modestly sized 2x5W amplifiers out there for the job?

A friend of mine is offering me the HE6, but I didn't want to buy them until I had found an amp. If I'm going to have to pay 1000USD for a headphone amp I think I'd rather get a different pair of headphones.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 11
The HE6 is the hardest HP on the planet to drive,bar none.There are only a few HPs out there that require a system to be built around it,and the HE-6 is one of them.
You are also going to need a special cable made to drive them from speaker taps,so factor in another 1-200.00 dollars into the equation,that is unless your friend is including a tap cable in the deal.

There is absolutely zero reason to buy them if you cannot afford a proper beast mode amp or fit a vintage receiver/amp into your space.It simply sounds horrid when under-driven,but rewards owners with great clarity,lightning fast speed and really heavy slam(which is a very rare combo)when fed the proper amount of juice.

I stayed away from the HE-6 for years because of all the stuff I read about its power requirements,and its all true,but im glad I finally trusted my 40 year old receivers to do the job....Its worth it.
18403833_10155614377900288_4198089724648383269_o.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 11
I understand that these headphones are really power hungry, but not hungry enough to be needed a full sized 2x50W amplifier? That would surely make the headphones melt? I'll look around for other smaller sized medium powered amps and see what I can find, if I can't find anything I think I'll go for the Atrox V2.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 11
Im getting about 20-22watts into 50 ohms...yeah i have tons of headroom and no distortion and great slam,but I understand that not everyone can fit an aircraft carrier sized amp on their desktop.
Ive never heard of that Atrox amp before,it might work...let us know.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 11
I just got the Atrox amp. I've tested it with HE-6 and compared it to the old Marantz receiver that my friend has been using and I have to say that this sounds absolutely amazing! With a gain of 10 it seems to deliver plenty of power for me at least, the sound is crystal clear even if I crank it up quite a bit. I've compared it a little bit to the Marantz receiver, but I can't immediately tell any huge difference other than the Atrox sounding a tiny bit 'darker' or more mellow if that is a term to be used. The Atrox does get quite hot though, don't think I can place anything on top of it.

May 18, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 11
No need to spend thousands of bucks for a amp. Something like a marantz pm6010 ose, less than 100$ used has stunning dynamics, transparancy and slam. Very very impressive giving the total cost. I dont think it would be possible to find any other combo that is better for less than 1k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back