cembalo lab spring1 : a new Headphone amp (Liquid carbon & Black Widow competitor ?)
Jun 12, 2015 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bmichels

Headphoneus Supremus
A new TOL guy in town ? the CEMBALO Spring 1 headphone AMP

Apparently it will be at the end a complete system
biggrin.gif
 :

Spring 1 headphone AMP + Spring DAC + Spring streaming player.

anyone has more infos about this ? 

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 22
not many more news about their products.  And the DAC and the Music server are still in the making... ?

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 22
Has anyone 'round here heard the Spring 1?  I got a very brief opportunity last week to hear it, and was very much impressed!  For what it's worth, I've own the Schiit Asgard 2, Mjolnir, and Ragnarok.  I was able to compare it with the Ayre Codex that day (which is roughly the same price, and happens to be a great DAC, headphone amp capabilities aside).  The Codex was very decent with the HE-560s, but the Spring 1 was something I could see enjoying the crap out of.  Turns out Cembalo Lab is based in Vancouver, BC, and their stuff is manufactured here as well.  I had no idea they even existed, and their office is maybe a 20 minute walk from my apartment.

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 22
This is good news. Indeed I thought there were dead since their web site is not updated Since 1 year and their Facebook site still down ! And their DAC to come... Is still not coming

So I am happy they are still alive :)

But Is their amp powerfull enough ? The specs displayed on their web site are very conservatrive !
And So you have any News about their DAC and their music server/streamer ?

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 22
This is good news. Indeed I thought there were dead since their web site is not updated Since 1 year and their Facebook site still down ! And their DAC to come... Is still not coming

So I am happy they are still alive :)

But Is their amp powerfull enough ? The specs displayed on their web site are very conservatrive !
And So you have any News about their DAC and their music server/streamer ?

I have no idea when their DAC will be released.  And yes, the power ratings are extremely conservative.  I wish I had gotten more time with it, but for a few minutes, it was liquidy silky smooth, but not veiled or overly euphonic.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 22
According to their website, they released the 'River Line' DAC (R5008DA) in December, and their 'Spring Line' in January of this year.

Last August I sent them a message through their site, asking if they had considered approaching Travis at the Headphone Bar to sell their stuff, and whatnot, and I haven't heard back from them at all. Their presence seems to be almost non-existent. As far as I know, James at Absolute Audio in Calgary still carries the Spring 1 headphone amplifier, which I would love to hear again sometime.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 22
Hi all... just curious if anyone out there still owns a Spring 1. I have owned one now for just over a year and it has remained my go to SS amp. I simply love it! It is the best SS amp I have ever owned and have yet to hear an amp that beats it. Up to more than double its price. it does have a few quirks that took me some time to figure out, like the fact that as a single ended design with a boat load of gain and voltage that it prefers a DAC with less than 4 vrms.

Anyhow, are there any of you out there still enjoying this amazing amp? I wonder how many are left in the world? My version is an early one as it says "signal express" instead of "poly feedback".

When I bought it I had issues with distortion, but it was being caused by a sticky volume pot that had been over glued and was creating distortion. Once fixed it has become just incredible.

I hope I am not the only one left. The Spring 1 is the real deal!

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 22
Still curious, am I the only one left with this amp? I would love to find someone out there who still owns and uses this amp. That would be pretty nuts if I have the only one left. It is such a great amp.

Nov 7, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 22
Am I the only one left on Head-fi with the Spring 1? If so, then I am one luck head-fier. Love to hear from those of you who have experience with this amp or still own one.

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 22
I'm sad to hear that they are now defunct, and I regret not buying a Spring 1 when they were readily available. I was really impressed by it.
It continually amazes me. The gain is crazy high which causes some challenges with super efficient headphones, but my Code X and Radiante are in heaven. I will never sell this amp.

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 22
Have the Cembalo Labs team ended up anywhere else? Finding info on the amp, certainly from Cembalo is basically impossible. I can't find another person who has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back