Can you recommend closed headphones that lie in a good (pleasurable) way?
May 24, 2017 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mlau

Head-Fier
Dear Headfi,

I've been ramping up and working on a ton of improvements at my dental office.
We've had good returns, but it's honestly really stressful.

My parents want to "help"---and talk about my business incessantly all hour of the day.
Being Cantonese--it means talking very, very loudly--which is annoying since I live with them.

Do you have recommendations re: Good closed headphones that lie in a flattering way?

May 25, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 12
Do you have recommendations re: Good closed headphones that lie in a flattering way?

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean:

1. Isolation, ie, so you can't hear everybody around you?

2. The cups are physically unobtrusive, ie, flatter and maybe smaller around the ears, so you don't look like a pilot?

3. Colors the sound to make everything sound better, ie, like Grados but with closed cups?

May 26, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 12
I believe I understand what you are looking for. You need to isolate yourself, to relieve stress, but also to wear something that lets people around you know that you are 'not to be disturbed'.

I work mostly at a home office, and when I have my headphones on it signifies that it is work time. It is great as my work is not only productive, but I get to listen to classical music while I design! :)

I would highly recommend checking out Bose QC35. Ultimately, very comfortable, and have both passive and active noise cancelling. A wireless headphone, it would allow you to do any measure of work without cables getting in the way. It is light enough, that you could tilt your head without it falling off. Quite comfortable as well. Also check out Sony MDR-1000x and Sennheiser Wireless headphones https://en-us.sennheiser.com/wireless-headphones

May 29, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 12
Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean:

1. Isolation, ie, so you can't hear everybody around you?

2. The cups are physically unobtrusive, ie, flatter and maybe smaller around the ears, so you don't look like a pilot?

3. Colors the sound to make everything sound better, ie, like Grados but with closed cups?

1. Yup! To block out loud Cantonese people at home
2. I don't care so much about looks.
3. Not super clinical.

I think that Malfunkt nailed it on the head..
I've been trying to avoid Bose, due to all the hype but have to say that the NC technology is quite good.
Between the QC35 and the Sony MDR-1000X, which did you choose and why?

May 29, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 12
1. Yup! To block out loud Cantonese people at home
2. I don't care so much about looks.
3. Not super clinical.

I think that Malfunkt nailed it on the head..
I've been trying to avoid Bose, due to all the hype but have to say that the NC technology is quite good.
Between the QC35 and the Sony MDR-1000X, which did you choose and why?

You'd have to go with ANC for that because even IEMs won't be able to deal with that noise just through physical isolation. Between those two I'd get the Sony. If you can find the MDR-1RNC for a lot less you can try that one too.

May 29, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 12
You'd have to go with ANC for that because even IEMs won't be able to deal with that noise just through physical isolation. Between those two I'd get the Sony. If you can find the MDR-1RNC for a lot less you can try that one too.

Though a bit pricier, there's always an option to go with CIEMs. Not only these isolate decently, but a lot of 'em sounds really good.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 29, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 12
Not sure what your budget is but I recommend the Sony mdr-z1r, seems to check all of your boxes.

May 29, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 12
For something to run down the middle of the road, I can recommend the PSB M4U1/NAD Viso HP50. They have a relaxed sound, and work a treat for isolating sound, even on a plane! (I wore them across the Pacific twice to Japan from LA)
They fold nicely if you want to pack them in a bag, and they don't break the bank. If you want actual noise cancelling, there's the M4U2.

IEMs might also be worth some consideration though.

May 29, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 12
I recommend Master & Dynamic MH40 ,

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Dynamic-MH40-Over-Headphone/dp/B00MWDGW28?th=1

nice sounding closed back headphone ,, very dynamic and enjoyable
i heard it before 6 months so i don't remember how they isolate but
i was very impressed with the sound , look and build quality ..

( way better than Bose in sound , but if you look for pure isolation Bose is the best )

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 12
I recommend Master & Dynamic MH40 ,

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Dynamic-MH40-Over-Headphone/dp/B00MWDGW28?th=1

nice sounding closed back headphone ,, very dynamic and enjoyable
i heard it before 6 months so i don't remember how they isolate but
i was very impressed with the sound , look and build quality ..

( way better than Bose in sound , but if you look for pure isolation Bose is the best )
That's not necessarily true. Isolation is just as much about keeping sound in as it is keeping sound out. Active noise cancellation is about preventing outside noise from entering your ear cups, but that doesn't mean it does a great job of preventing sound from getting out. And, other companies like PSB/NAD offer ANC. Some headphones can do both well with seal alone, though.

May 30, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 12
Though a bit pricier, there's always an option to go with CIEMs. Not only these isolate decently, but a lot of 'em sounds really good.

My default choice too, more so because I'd rather have physical isolation than any battery-driven gimmickry, but in the OP's use case it sounds to me like he wants to be able to signal to people that he's listening to something, not have his relatives yelling at him from the kitchen not realizing he can't hear them because even the most garish backplate isn't as obvious as something around his ears and goes around the top of his head.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 12
My default choice too, more so because I'd rather have physical isolation than any battery-driven gimmickry, but in the OP's use case it sounds to me like he wants to be able to signal to people that he's listening to something, not have his relatives yelling at him from the kitchen not realizing he can't hear them because even the most garish backplate isn't as obvious as something around his ears and goes around the top of his head.

True, just throwing ideas. At this point some additional info on his end would help.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en

Users who are viewing this thread

Back