Can a cable damage IEMs?
Jun 21, 2017 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

caspadan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I have a silly question, but is it possible a cable can damage IEMs? I'm not talking about a cable that is incorrectly wired (but you can answer that too).

My IEMs had an imbalance between right a left and I'm not sure how it came about (I don't recall it when I got them). They are the DUNU DN-2002s I have - I did send them to DUNU and they have been posted back but I'm just waiting now for the post office here.

I ask because I do have another cable other than the one that came with the earphones, but it's an official DUNU cable made for the earphones (GZ-OCC2701, or something like that). I ask because sometimes using that cable, if I moved sometimes a certain way the sound would sort-of cut out or rather just sound like a bad connection (I used the cable a lot so it was probably a bit worn).

I just want piece of mind here because I don't want the imbalance to reoccur. I can't imagine a cable would damage an IEM in such a way, I think it was more likely a driver defect or something. But I'm not the expert.

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 3
If I remember correctly, that model uses an MMCX connection right? If it does have you tried cleaning it? Sometimes the connectors can have a bit of gunk on it from oxidization and can cause cut outs.

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi all

I have a silly question, but is it possible a cable can damage IEMs? I'm not talking about a cable that is incorrectly wired (but you can answer that too).

My IEMs had an imbalance between right a left and I'm not sure how it came about (I don't recall it when I got them). They are the DUNU DN-2002s I have - I did send them to DUNU and they have been posted back but I'm just waiting now for the post office here.

I ask because I do have another cable other than the one that came with the earphones, but it's an official DUNU cable made for the earphones (GZ-OCC2701, or something like that). I ask because sometimes using that cable, if I moved sometimes a certain way the sound would sort-of cut out or rather just sound like a bad connection (I used the cable a lot so it was probably a bit worn).

I just want piece of mind here because I don't want the imbalance to reoccur. I can't imagine a cable would damage an IEM in such a way, I think it was more likely a driver defect or something. But I'm not the expert.

It's a fair bit difficult to damage a earphone with a cable I think. Unless you do something really wrong - like wire a single ended into a balanced output (some have done it, apparently). That would not only run the risk of damaging the earphones, but destroying the source too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back