Burson Cable+ Active Voltage Raising / Impedance Matching Cable
Jan 20, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #136 of 168
I noticed no difference, I am using a quality adapter though.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #142 of 168
The quoted comment did not include the URL to the review (only www.avrev.com and that had no search tool), stupid me I overlooked the links in the comment before that. Thanks!

[reminder to self: do not post comments on tiny screens late at night]

Not a worries at all! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #145 of 168
after upgrading my desktop system to D100 driving a pair of Maggie 20.7's via an MC252 amp and a pair of Mini Maggies via a Prologue Premium Integrated amp I decided to add the R2R inbetween the D100 and Prologue to help boost the variable line out before entering the prologue so that it could remain at half volume setting and be 'matched' in total output volume between the 20.7's and mini maggies.  this way i can volume up and down the entire system via just the D100 volume knob and get matched volume between the 20.7's and minis.  One thing I noticed with and without the R2R is without it I get much brighter sound to the mini maggies with much clearer and pronounced highs but requiring about 25% more volume gain on the Prologue.  With the R2R I can lower the Prologue volume and I lose some of the sharp highs (which is actually beneficial with the mini maggies) and gain more low bass thump.  So the R2R not only increases the gain about 25% of the line in but also shifts the spectrum down pronouncing the bass and cutting the highs.  Coincidentally this is the EQ adjustment I need to counter the naturally sharp maggies and give them a bit more low end bump.

The only other difference is without the R2R there is absolutely no noise even at full Prologue volume, completely black but with the R2R I hear a slight noise floor.  Wondering if this is from the cheap USB switching power supply for the R2R?  If so I would love a decent quality linear 5v supply for it.  Doesn't need to be ridiculous, just a reasonably clean non switching supply.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #146 of 168
You can always use 3 AA batteries for clean power.

after upgrading my desktop system to D100 driving a pair of Maggie 20.7's via an MC252 amp and a pair of Mini Maggies via a Prologue Premium Integrated amp I decided to add the R2R inbetween the D100 and Prologue to help boost the variable line out before entering the prologue so that it could remain at half volume setting and be 'matched' in total output volume between the 20.7's and mini maggies.  this way i can volume up and down the entire system via just the D100 volume knob and get matched volume between the 20.7's and minis.  One thing I noticed with and without the R2R is without it I get much brighter sound to the mini maggies with much clearer and pronounced highs but requiring about 25% more volume gain on the Prologue.  With the R2R I can lower the Prologue volume and I lose some of the sharp highs (which is actually beneficial with the mini maggies) and gain more low bass thump.  So the R2R not only increases the gain about 25% of the line in but also shifts the spectrum down pronouncing the bass and cutting the highs.  Coincidentally this is the EQ adjustment I need to counter the naturally sharp maggies and give them a bit more low end bump.

The only other difference is without the R2R there is absolutely no noise even at full Prologue volume, completely black but with the R2R I hear a slight noise floor.  Wondering if this is from the cheap USB switching power supply for the R2R?  If so I would love a decent quality linear 5v supply for it.  Doesn't need to be ridiculous, just a reasonably clean non switching supply.

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #147 of 168
  You can always use 3 AA batteries for clean power.

A real linear power supply, one that I don't have to change every hour.  Something off the shelf with the same USB connector decent quality power and small.  I would even be ok with a switching supply as long as it is well filtered.  The included supply is garbage it appears.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #148 of 168
I picked up a Cable+ for double amping duties. On my PS4 Pro I use a T.B. TAC & 02 for surround and mic. I put the Cable+ between the TAC and 02 amp. It made a noticeable difference in clarity and sound. Everything sounds more lively and fun. It also seemed to lower the high noise floor I got from double amping.

All in all a great purchase for me.

FYI: DO NOT run the Cable+ from the PS4 USB. It is an extremely noisy port and caused a weird hissing/buzzing sound to come out the headphones.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #150 of 168
ended up again removing the R2R from my setup as it was causing a power up/down popping into my ProLogue which I figured isn't good for the amp or speakers which I use connected to a smart switch that turns on/off automatically every day.  also without it between my D100 and ProLogue i get the cleaner blacks with absolutely no background noise even at full volume now.  tradeoff is cleaner highs at the expense of a slight loss (most likely true reference) of low end bump the R2R was adding.  compensate to bring back the nice bass bump using eq. now instead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back