Burson Cable+ Active Voltage Raising / Impedance Matching Cable
Sep 21, 2016 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 168

Voxata

Headphoneus Supremus
     I've been a big fan of Burson for a while now with their V5, Air, and the Conductor V2+ I'll never be able afford to try (married life...I'm a sucker).. This is now on their product listings though - https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/cable-plus-a2r/ - From the video linked on the site - https://youtu.be/5S5dknbL1q8 - They've got an inline cable'd V5i setup that also enhances low voltage signals. The second part I had no clue about but I do agree as just about any phone/tablet/laptop I've used as a source has sounded pretty bad and it makes sense.
     This would be ideal for home theater use however I'm very curious about car audio as I'd really like to see the difference there as I use my phone as a source. At home I have an Asus Essence STX that was very 'digital' and upgrading to V5's gave it an analog feel. The wife uses the input of the V5'd STX (because she hates using the PC) w/a 3.5mm cable and the difference between that and a direct connection into the home stereo is staggering. If this cable could do the same thing and voltage match the signal with as easy to install as it is this could be quite the quick-fix (or ya know...gateway drug) for someone who wants a simple audio upgrade. I'll be getting one, and will post some thoughts up for anyone interested.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 168
Interesting concept as there are other cable makers with network boxes in their design. Burson though is very open on what it is doing and the use of the V5i in the short version of the v5 bright case. I have their Lycan. I am curious that they feel the DAC in the phone or tablet is better than you really think and theit cable is a low cost alternative to use the micro USB out into a stand alone DAC.

I am not sure about home theate as it is only audio. I guess you connect the audio to an input on your system and then stream to your TV via Apple TV, Chromecast or maybe Roku.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 168
Well I think they are marketing it as an easy drop in upgrade really. Plenty of people use 3.5mm to RCA cables in their homes or cars for audio streaming. The target audience is someone using one of those types of devices looking for an easy boost to audio quality. I'm really curious about both the v5i and the impedance matching and if it really can squeeze some life out of my phones dac, because as it stands right now connected to my HT directly it sounds like crap.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 168
I'll be able to give some impressions soon, I'm very excited to try a completely new type of product on the market!

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 168
I'll be able to give some impressions soon, I'm very excited to try a completely new type of product on the market!

Nice, me too. Tbh I'm struggling to fully understand the concept. I've watch the video and read what's there to read and although I understand it on a technical level it's such a new way to approach things that I can't fully understand what it does with the actual sound.

Makes me even more curious to try it out though......

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 168
Only $99? Too cheap not to try.

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 168
     I received the Cable+ today, I sure do love the feel of it. Soft and high quality with that coating.. I went right to the big leagues with testing it out. I used the Schiit Jotinheim as my reference amp coupled to my HE-400i's as this setup is insanely revealing and I wanted to hear exactly what the Cable+ is capable of. Source was my Nexus 5X, which by itself was just nasty out of the amp.. After adding in the Cable+ it was far more tolerable and smooth... this is not the intended application of course, but it paints a big picture. Worth noting it didn't morph the phone into a highend DAC of course but let me tell you, it was still a nice change in sound. I'll go into more specifics in my review, however, in response to newdoughboy's curiosity I can say that dynamic range has increased a bit. Also tizzy treble was tamed and enjoyable... gah that treble plugging the 5X straight into my amp was rough. More to come. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 168
Would I connect this cable to the line-out if my MoJo (a battery-powered DAC/AMP) and a USB-powered DAC/AMP like the Dragonfly Red?

I don't understand why someone with a DAC would use this cable-device. Is it "just" a power converter?

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 168
Would I connect this cable to the line-out if my MoJo (a battery-powered DAC/AMP) and a USB-powered DAC/AMP like the Dragonfly Red?

I don't understand why someone with a DAC would use this cable-device. Is it "just" a power converter?

The purpose of the cable was not to go into a DAC as it is 3.5 single ended out of your phone or table to RCA.  It was meant to use your phone or tablet as source or table into your system or into a dedicated headphone amplifier like the Lycan.  

One of the ways I was thinking of using it is in a secondary system my wife uses a 30+ year old Sony 6 disc changer into an integrated Onkyo receiver.  If I used this to connect to the receiver, my wife could stream whatever music she wants to listen to from a table or phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back