Beyerdynamics DT-770 Pro for metal?
Jun 29, 2017 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GhostLoveScore

Head-Fier
Which one to choose for metal? I listen mostly to death metal, black, symphonic, melodic, heavy metal. And sometimes I listen to 60s, 70s rock like black sabbath, blue cheer, jefferson airplane, pink floyd, steppenwolf...

I currently have AKG K701. Unfortunately, the plastic bit that connects headband with the sliders broke recently. I really took care of the headphones, but on one side it just split in half. Before that, I opened the speakers and removed the sticker from the back side to get more bass. I can't send it back for repairs anymore.

I won't throw them away of course, I was trying to find a reason to buy one more headphone.

My current favorite is DT-770 Pro. It bothers be that I can't turn the music up with K701 They can be heard in another room.

I was thinking about K 712, but I am afraid that they will break too. Sennheiser HD-600 seems to be too flat for metal. Any other recommendation? I would pay up to 300 euros.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 9
There are a few options out there,but what amp,if any,are you using?
Do you already have and like the DT770,or merely asking about it? For me personally i would stay away from the DT770s....I will explain if needed.

A lot of guys in the metal thread like the Meze 99 for metal.Another option is finding a pair of AKG K240 sextetts,which are my favorite rock/metal HP,but you will need a pretty serious amp to drive them.

Theres also Grados,but they do leak sound like your 701s

Also HE-400S or HE-400i,depending upon amp,but both are also prone to leakage.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 9
I have Vali 2 amplifier. I have never heard anything from Beyerdynamics. my opinion of them is only from what I have read on the internet. It would be great if you would explain why I should stay away from them?

Meze 99 seem fantastic. I'll be reading a lot more about them tonight.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 9
The DT770 is incredibly V-shaped,with good bass slam,recessed mids(so that guitars are pushed back)and painful(for me)bright,shrill highs.Further the guitars lack any kind of body to them on the 770s....no chunky goodness.

Personally i like guitars to be as in-your-face as possible for rock and metal...the DT770s are the complete opposite of that.

Check out my metal music thread for reference of what i listen to.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-other-metal-thread-no-blastbeat-metal-zone.831579/

I have Vali 2 amplifier. I have never heard anything from Beyerdynamics. my opinion of them is only from what I have read on the internet. It would be great if you would explain why I should stay away from them?

Meze 99 seem fantastic. I'll be reading a lot more about them tonight.

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Although that table is occasionally updated by the OP,that thread is still active,so I'd ask over there if you want other opinions.
What each of us like in metal,and music in general is a very subjective thing,and clearly some folks like the DT770,as its been in production for quite some time now.

Also keep in mind that table was created quite some time ago,and several new options have come out since then that makes the DT770 not the only closed back solution for metal.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 9
I agree with @monsterzero about the top end of the DT770. It is just incredibly sibilant, IMO. The MEZE is a good option and is quite beautiful. Another good option is the SoundMAGIC HP151. You might read about it and see what you think. It could work for you as well.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 9
I like the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 ohm for metal. They sound punchy. The guitar distortions get an edge and a shredding quality. The drums really hit hard and not in a boomy way. I ve read the 80 ohm version has less treble than 32 and 250 ohm versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back