Beats Studio Wireless Vs P7
Jul 27, 2017 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

neil74

100+ Head-Fier
I originally purchased my Beats Studio Wireless in December 2015, I remember being quite happy with them but at the time the size made them impractical to use on my commute, so I picked up some B&W P3s and stopped using them.

I then switched from iOS to Android and with no aptx on the Beats (and wired mode being pretty underwhelming) I pretty much dismissed them and they have sat un-used for almost a year. I now have some P5 s2 and various IEMs including the 1more triple driver, Onkyo E700m and E700 BTs.

This week I started to consider picking up some P7 wireless as nice though the P5s are they have not really blown me away and I think I really want some over-ears. I was so close to ordering the P7s but then for some reason I just decided to dust of the Beats and on my S8 they actually sounded really good, I am currently only listening to Apple Music AAC or Spotify files so no lossless stuff yet and I think I may have overplayed the lack of apt-x and also been influenced by the anti-beats snobbery and dismissed them unfairly.

I am still not a fan of the look of them tbh and the P7s are more stylish but that is not enough to justify a £320 purchase. My question is for those that have used both how much better are the P7s and is the upgrade worth it?

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 4
The P7 is comparable to the HD1 by Sennheiser so I'll give my impressions based on that. I have owned the HD1 for a while now and listen to lossless on a DAP/mobile amp combo, but every once in a while I'll stop by a local Best Buy to check out deals and test all the headphones just for kicks. Last time I went, I hooked my setup into a pair of Beats Studios. The bass was overblown and poorly done, the dynamics were almost nothing, and there was a severe lack of detail. It sounded like somebody was playing a Bluetooth speaker underneath a pillow.
I've realized that I'm extremely picky about audio and even my friends (who also enjoy audio gear and whatnot) don't seem to notice things that I pick up on straight away.
That being said, I can't really say what the best option is for you. What I can say, is that I cannot stand listening to anything by that company. Their products are overpriced and most of the money you pay is feeding their ad campaigns. They are essentially a fashion statement and as snobby as it sounds, I can't take anybody seriously when they say they care about sound quality while wearing Beats. They aren't terrible headphones, they're just overpriced to hell and can't back up the price tag with performance.
Rant aside, the HD1 absolutely destroy the Studio in every category. They look better, sound crisper, have better bass, are more durable, are more comfortable, and are actually worth the money (if you get a deal on them).

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks both. I have no doubt at all that's the P7 are better, just given the zero resale value of the beats wondering if they are £319 better or significantly better than my P5s?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back