Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 (2nd Generation) vs. Sennheiser HD 598 Cs - A Newer & MORE POWERFUL Sith Lord Emerges??
Dec 27, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #347 of 432
  do you have an eq for sony xperia devices xd. 

Just get "Poweramp" - It has a 10 band EQ, and separate Bass & Treble tone knobs. You can use the EQ & Tone controls simultaneously. Best audio player for mobile devices. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #349 of 432

AKG, 

Holy f'ing crap! That EQ is SPECTACULAR!! Not only is it PERFECT for the AKG K551.......completely OUTDOING even "Rock" IMHO............but it even sounds great on my car speakers! lol I still had a small batch of songs where I had to take your custom EQ and create my own custom one with less bass, but I expected that. lol But yeah...........your EQ like PERFECTLY filters out the stuff I don't want like "eardrum-piercing shrieking highs" but still lets in all the stuff you do wanna hear. It honestly makes listening to music even more comfortable than "Rock" b/c I'm only hearing what I wanna or should be hearing, and that's it. I believe this custom EQ will probably sound great on ANY neutral-sounding headphone (including the other K55X headphones) to be honest. I would recommend everyone trying this on not only the Cs but the H6 too, etc. Not sure if it will sound AS good, but it certainly might. I did have to increase the volume a couple notches though in order to make it loud enough, but that's a small price to pay for perfection. lol

So wait, did you actually use DMG Audio's Equilibrium EQ'ing software to create this, or did you create this on your own? It sounds like you did it yourself, but just reconfirming. My custom EQ was close to yours really except my 31 was higher, my 125 I think was at 0, and I believe my 16K was at or above 0 as well. I've bookmarked your post and plan to use this EQ probably forever. lol 
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

**UPDATE: Last night after some extensive listening, I realized SOME songs still sound better with Poweramp's "Rock" EQ preset (and/or a lowered-bass version of "Rock" which I created) because of how they were recorded, but so far the overwhelming majority sound better with your EQ (and/or 1 of 2 lowered-bass versions I created based off your EQ). It'd be nice if I could just use one for all, but in reality, that doesn't work for me. I keep a short list going of which ones DON'T use your EQ, and the rest will use yours by default.**

I usually use dmg equilibrium for the best customization, but this EQ I did it entirely by ear on poweramp only that day. If you understand exactly which sounds will be affected by the bands you adjust, it becomes fairly easy to get the sound you want. I'm glad you enjoy the EQ, because that's what my ears liked lol. The k551 in my opinion is a headphone that closely resembles a balanced armature driver, I never heard a headphone that shares so many characteristics in the same way, so it is more difficult to EQ it in that sense, my er4pt never sounded right no matter how I EQed it which is why I stopped using it. The recording also plays a huge role into how the EQ will sound, there are a few songs where I just have to increase the mid bass a whole lot or turn down the treble just for that specific song so I know exactly what you are talking about lol. I only advise my k551 EQ to be used for headphone with a similar sound to the k551, such as neutral but slightly thin sounding, I would not recommend this for the h6 for sure lol

also, in case there is confusion, dmg equilibrium does not create any EQ for you, it is like poweramp but near infinite bands and customization, you still have the make the EQ yourself

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #350 of 432
  I usually use dmg equilibrium for the best customization, but this EQ I did it entirely by ear on poweramp only that day. If you understand exactly which sounds will be affected by the bands you adjust, it becomes fairly easy to get the sound you want. I'm glad you enjoy the EQ, because that's what my ears liked lol. The k551 in my opinion is a headphone that closely resembles a balanced armature driver, I never heard a headphone that shares so many characteristics in the same way, so it is more difficult to EQ it in that sense, my er4pt never sounded right no matter how I EQed it which is why I stopped using it. The recording also plays a huge role into how the EQ will sound, there are a few songs where I just have to increase the mid bass a whole lot or turn down the treble just for that specific song so I know exactly what you are talking about lol. I only advise my k551 EQ to be used for headphone with a similar sound to the k551, such as neutral but slightly thin sounding, I would not recommend this for the h6 for sure lol

also, in case there is confusion, dmg equilibrium does not create any EQ for you, it is like poweramp but near infinite bands and customization, you still have the make the EQ yourself

I see. I do understand them........ I had bookmarked some sites that go over the main bands and what frequencies they affect. But you seem a bit better at it than I am. lol 

Yeah........in my car I found some songs are better with "whichever" version of "Rock", so I reverted back to them. Same with headphones as I'd mentioned. But it's nice on the K551 when certain songs have "shrieking highs" to hear them get filtered out w/o losing the "energy" or feel of the song. 

Yeah........ I was just throwing that out there about the H6, but wasn't 100% sure it would work. lol You prob heard more differences b/t the K551 and the H6 than I did though? lol 

Oh ok. Well either way, you did very well!!! 
L3000.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #351 of 432

I see. I do understand them........ I had bookmarked some sites that go over the main bands and what frequencies they affect. But you seem a bit better at it than I am. lol 

Yeah........in my car I found some songs are better with "whichever" version of "Rock", so I reverted back to them. Same with headphones as I'd mentioned. But it's nice on the K551 when certain songs have "shrieking highs" to hear them get filtered out w/o losing the "energy" or feel of the song. 

Yeah........ I was just throwing that out there about the H6, but wasn't 100% sure it would work. lol You prob heard more differences b/t the K551 and the H6 than I did though? lol 

Oh ok. Well either way, you did very well!!! 
L3000.gif

To make it super simple, male vocals are usually 1-2.5khz depending on the pitch of his voice, and female is usually 2-3.5khz depending on the pitch of her voice. Those are the most important to me since I prioritize upfront vocals, piano is also within that range too which I also love. Electric guitars are usually within the 3-4khz ranges. The 7khz area is what gives a sense of air and realism to the vocals, without this the vocals can sound kind of compressed and unnatural. I generally don't mess with other frequencies if the headphone is tuned right, you generally don't want to add any upper treble unless you have a dark sounding headphone and the k551 is one of the rare instances where I turn up the bass. Poweramp is different since you cannot specifically adjust each value and have it affect only a certain spectrum, but still good basic info to know lol. below 60hz is usually sub bass and around 250hz is where bass can start to interfere with the mid bass and sound bloated, so you will see a lot of clean sounding but bass heavy headphones have a dip at around 250hz.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #352 of 432
  To make it super simple, male vocals are usually 1-2.5khz depending on the pitch of his voice, and female is usually 2-3.5khz depending on the pitch of her voice. Those are the most important to me since I prioritize upfront vocals, piano is also within that range too which I also love. Electric guitars are usually within the 3-4khz ranges. The 7khz area is what gives a sense of air and realism to the vocals, without this the vocals can sound kind of compressed and unnatural. I generally don't mess with other frequencies if the headphone is tuned right, you generally don't want to add any upper treble unless you have a dark sounding headphone and the k551 is one of the rare instances where I turn up the bass. Poweramp is different since you cannot specifically adjust each value and have it affect only a certain spectrum, but still good basic info to know lol. below 60hz is usually sub bass and around 250hz is where bass can start to interfere with the mid bass and sound bloated, so you will see a lot of clean sounding but bass heavy headphones have a dip at around 250hz.

I see. Yeah one of my links kinda mentioned that stuff about the male/female vocals too, but not sure if it had both. 

Yeah, the 7KHz range in "Rock" is higher I believe than your EQ is, so that is why on some certain songs I feel the need to use Rock instead of yours. 

I see (about 250Hz). Interesting. I'm assuming the AKG K551's is dipped then at 250Hz? Can't find your one post right now with the graphs. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #353 of 432

I see. Yeah one of my links kinda mentioned that stuff about the male/female vocals too, but not sure if it had both. 

Yeah, the 7KHz range in "Rock" is higher I believe than your EQ is, so that is why on some certain songs I feel the need to use Rock instead of yours. 

I see (about 250Hz). Interesting. I'm assuming the AKG K551's is dipped then at 250Hz? Can't find your one post right now with the graphs. 

nah, poweramp is just kind of weird since the number of bands are limited. Usually raising 30hz wont increase the bass to the levels that poweramp does it. The k551 already has super clean bass that doesn't interfere with the mid bass so I just lowered 125hz since it worked better for me and negated the other frequencies above 61hz being affected due to the limited number of bands. The dt1770 is a good example of a headphone that has big impactful bass but a very clean sound because of the 250hz dip

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #354 of 432
So would those diamond speakers be really good for someone who wants to get home speaker set up without it being too expensive. LIke will it be better tahn all the other mainstream options. I was thinking about klipch since I heard those are good. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #355 of 432
  So would those diamond speakers be really good for someone who wants to get home speaker set up without it being too expensive. LIke will it be better tahn all the other mainstream options. I was thinking about klipch since I heard those are good. 

If budget is a primary concern, I would recommend the $130 Fluance SX6 which will absolutely blow away any mainstream consumer speaker. But if you want an upgrade and highest price bracket you can go and still get an amazing value, I would definitely recommend the $380 diamond 225, in that case they can be your end game for years. Klipsch have some good speakers, but I'd be looking at the fluance or the wharfedale regarding your budget as the best choices

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #356 of 432
  If budget is a primary concern, I would recommend the $130 Fluance SX6 which will absolutely blow away any mainstream consumer speaker. But if you want an upgrade and highest price bracket you can go and still get an amazing value, I would definitely recommend the $380 diamond 225, in that case they can be your end game for years. Klipsch have some good speakers, but I'd be looking at the fluance or the wharfedale regarding your budget as the best choices

I see will take a look. Would you say JBL are the best company that makes speakers?

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #357 of 432
  I see will take a look. Would you say JBL are the best company that makes speakers?

No, I wouldn't go as far as to say that. JBL has some legendary speakers in the past, but they aren't a hot thing as of recently due to the terrible lead of HARMAN. Harman owns not just harman kardon, but also AKG and JBL, and a part of B&O, all of which has fallen with harman's leader ship and lack of funding towards, and with samsung's buyout of the company now..... I don't expect it to get any better.

I would say the ascend acoustics sierra 2 are the best bookshelf speakers you can get if you want the absolute best transparency and detail. The sonus faber venere 1.5 are some of the best smooth sounding but still detailed bookshelf speakers, and the kef ls50 is one of the best energetic and forward sounding bookshelf speakers out there. I do not know much about floor standing speakers, just bookshelf

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #358 of 432
  No, I wouldn't go as far as to say that. JBL has some legendary speakers in the past, but they aren't a hot thing as of recently due to the terrible lead of HARMAN. Harman owns not just harman kardon, but also AKG and JBL, and a part of B&O, all of which has fallen with harman's leader ship and lack of funding towards, and with samsung's buyout of the company now..... I don't expect it to get any better.

I would say the ascend acoustics sierra 2 are the best bookshelf speakers you can get if you want the absolute best transparency and detail. The sonus faber venere 1.5 are some of the best smooth sounding but still detailed bookshelf speakers, and the kef ls50 is one of the best energetic and forward sounding bookshelf speakers out there. I do not know much about floor standing speakers, just bookshelf

Yeah, it's kinda scary to me that Samsung of all companies owns AKG right now. lol Maybe I should reconsider the Shure SRH1540 akg? LOL 

They said that Samsung is only gonna tap the car audio sector of Harman's companies, but some speculate that although the S8 won't have any of Harman's audio improvements on it, the Note 8 might? Who knows. lol I'm more concerned about what can be done to make AKG's name bigger and better! lol

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #359 of 432

Yeah, it's kinda scary to me that Samsung of all companies owns AKG right now. lol Maybe I should reconsider the Shure SRH1540 akg? LOL 

They said that Samsung is only gonna tap the car audio sector of Harman's companies, but some speculate that although the S8 won't have any of Harman's audio improvements on it, the Note 8 might? Who knows. lol I'm more concerned about what can be done to make AKG's name bigger and better! lol

Only if you want better sound and you're not satisfied with the k551/598 cs. If you have a constant will to upgrade, then I don't think the 1540 will end that but it will provide a better sound, albeit with a different presentation.

AKG's original k1000 engineers are working on a new headphone project, so that's what I'm most interested ATM, either that or an entirely new line of 700 and 800 series. Otherwise I don't think AKG has much going for them unless they get more serious into the portable audio market. Either way, harman won't stop me from staying with akg 
angry_face.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #360 of 432
  Only if you want better sound and you're not satisfied with the k551/598 cs. If you have a constant will to upgrade, then I don't think the 1540 will end that but it will provide a better sound, albeit with a different presentation.

AKG's original k1000 engineers are working on a new headphone project, so that's what I'm most interested ATM, either that or an entirely new line of 700 and 800 series. Otherwise I don't think AKG has much going for them unless they get more serious into the portable audio market. Either way, harman won't stop me from staying with akg 
angry_face.gif

Ok. THAT sounds like you confirming that you believe the SRH1540 to be superior? lol 

I don't think I have a CONSTANT will to upgrade, or else by now I'd be up in the $2000 category of headphones. lol I have to see how things go smartphone-wise in 2017. I am not convinced that my Oppo will fully drive the SRH1540 (despite your objections elsewhere lol) as of yet. I have to see if 2017's smartphones can drive it, or will I need to get the FiiO A5 amp? And that's assuming 2017's phones will be as good as my Oppo. I know the LG V20 sounds as good as my Oppo, but that's a phablet, and I don't do phablets. lol So yeah, it's still up in the air. 

What do you mean "a different presentation"? Also, if let's say the comfort level of the K551 is a "10", how would you rate the SRH1540's comfort??

Hahaha..........you are a TRUE AKG fanboy, akg fanboy. lol 

Well do tell............any word on what it will sound and/or look like (i.e. renders)? Any word on price range yet?? I'm an AKG Fanboy too, as I think I've proven in this thread!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back